If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy XIV: That's No Moon...

noodlenoodle Kirby: El PresidenteRPGamer Staff
edited November 2012 in Latest Updates
Giant dragon awakes and remakes world with fire and brimstone. Players last seen futilely fighting with weapons and magic. Blizzard last seen furiously employing cult of rabid undead lawyers.

All the epicness is happening in this story.
image

Comments

  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    What? Really? A giant dragon awoke and burnt the world?

    Wow. I know the "dragon destroys all" thing is hardly unique to Blizzard, but still...too soon.


    Oh, and we all know lawyers would rise as vampires. They're already bloodsuckers.
  • HyristHyrist formally jiroo chan 007 Full Members
    edited November 2012
    To Be fair. Bahamut had dibbs on being a draconic world destroyer before Deathwing (Chains of Promithia depicted Bahamut as a world Destroyer before Catalysim, but in that instance, the Adventureres stopped him.) It's just that Deathwing was successful first.

    All and all this was appropriate to Final Fantasy's overall themes, even with how close it was to Cataclysm in some ways.

    Also, Bahamut is the cooler dragon. >.>
  • VncentValntineVncentValntine Pretty much... Full Members
    edited November 2012
    "Rapture" was indeed the proper code-name for this game when it was in its infancy.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    It's an awesome video. And remember Bahamut was an instrument of destruction in FFIX
    image

    27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited November 2012
    That video displays everything I want in a single-player Final Fantasy game...
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • AngelonightAngelonight Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Macstorm said:
    That video displays everything I want in a single-player Final Fantasy game...
    I wholeheartedly agree. This is the kind of next Generation Real Final Fantasy the series needs. I realize I am the only one that hates MMOs, but that video actually made me excited to be a FF fan.
    Can anyone tell me what is the Singer/title of the song playing in the back ground.
    Kain: "Conscience...? You dare speak to me of conscience? Only when you have felt the full gravity of choice should you dare to question my judgment!"
  • noodlenoodle Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    it's the same song that was in one of the first cutscenes in version 1.0. it's a beautiful song. it's called "answers" by susan calloway.
    image
  • NiknarNiknar Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    noodle said:
    it's the same song that was in one of the first cutscenes in version 1.0. it's a beautiful song. it's called "answers" by susan calloway.
    Sorry to be nit-picky but the song is by Nobuo Uematsu, the vocalist is Susan Calloway. Just wish this was how it played in in game....instead of Mordor ..I a mean Mor Dhona crashing every 5 minutes and seeing 0 mobs when I was online...sigh....
  • noodlenoodle Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    sorry, i should've said "with" instead of "by." :P

    here is a great music video someone made. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxQIciJWx9g
    image
  • LegendaryZoltanLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I'd like to remind your RPG playin' ***** that before any video game had a dragon named Bahamut, he was in the pen and paper RPG, Dungeons & Dragons. I THINK that was the first instance of Bahamut being dragon even though Bahamut is actually a giant fish. You can learn all about it in a video I made here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l27pXyw_uQg&list=UUwlnPPVX8YCgfPXR9VItNHg&index=9&feature=plcp
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Well, I did say Blizzard didn't invent world destroying dragons. My point was it seemed lazy.

    Granted, if Bahamut did it first then I guess it's traditional. I was kind of hoping for another Kefka's Tower thing though.
  • tootbrushtootbrush Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Haven't played the game, but I still found the sad smile of that old man at the end heartbreaking. I can only imagine how the players must've felt when they saw the cinematic.

    And yes, what Mac said.
  • retrodragonretrodragon Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I'm growing an extremely tiny crystal of hope that this will be a great FF experience. And that it will come to the ps3 before we all grow old and die...
    Playing: Wild Arms 3, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Star Ocean First Departure
    www.retrodragon.wordpress.com
  • noodlenoodle Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    ICHIGO!!!!

    sorry i got distracted.

    people at work were all excited about black ops and then 3 of us broke off and started talking about final fantasy. we watched the epic video. i don't blink at all when watching it.. it's just so good. and it also makes me sad. i remember all the good times i had until i had to stop because it became pay-to-play..
    image
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactic's Ogre I choose u! Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Wow, that was quite the epic video.

    I agree with others that this looks like what a single player FF should be like.

    Unfortunately the the mmo's just don't cut it for me.

    After trying many pay-to-play mmo's I know I will not pay monthly for one again. So when this one eventually goes free-to-play... like the others out there, then I will enetertain trying it.
  • noodlenoodle Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    who knows what will happen with this one. FFXI is still pay-to-play.
    image
  • Holy_DragoonHoly_Dragoon Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    The issue with so many MMOs is that they are all the same.

    FFXIV has a different feeling when you play it, I find it really difficult to explain, but no other MMO has captivated me in the way FFXI, or now FFXIV has. It's too bad much of the game architecture was poor under the hood, there's a lot of people sad to see 1.0 end (since they made so many improvements, the game is quite enjoyable now). In the end the servers could not even handle the final event properly :grumpy:

    As a current player since launch (no breaks, eep) The end where Louisiox smiles in the wrath of Bahamut completely choked me up, players are calling him Eorzea's Hero for his acts, and requesting monuments built in his honour to be placed in A Realm Reborn. The Dalamud (meteor) story of FFXIV was absolutely fantastic, the players had no idea that Bahamut was imprisoned by it. Most knew that Dalamud was a weapon from an ancient civilization. A lot assumed it would actually fire at us, or just simply smash into Eorzea. The fact that it is Bahamut, and thus an Elder Primal, has huge implications to the storyline. We now know Bahamut has been imprisoned for several millenia, and that the Empire also had no idea that Bahamut was imprisoned inside. They too thought it was a weapon that could be used for war against Eorzea. Nael Van Darnus (the protagonist of FFXIV Dalamud story) did however have knowledge of Dalamud's secret, as he is from the bloodline of those who created Dalamud in the first place.

    I haven't felt this stoked about a Final Fantasy in years. It looks like SE can still tell a great story after all. I'm now more excited for this than any FF in development.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
    [CENTER]"To be forgotten is worse than death."[/CENTER]
  • Khisanth MagusKhisanth Magus Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I have one question...how the heck did Square-enix manage to make a video that makes me want to play FF14?
  • noodlenoodle Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    Holy_Dragoon said:
    The issue with so many MMOs is that they are all the same.

    FFXIV has a different feeling when you play it, I find it really difficult to explain, but no other MMO has captivated me in the way FFXI, or now FFXIV has. It's too bad much of the game architecture was poor under the hood, there's a lot of people sad to see 1.0 end (since they made so many improvements, the game is quite enjoyable now). In the end the servers could not even handle the final event properly :grumpy:

    As a current player since launch (no breaks, eep) The end where Louisiox smiles in the wrath of Bahamut completely choked me up, players are calling him Eorzea's Hero for his acts, and requesting monuments built in his honour to be placed in A Realm Reborn. The Dalamud (meteor) story of FFXIV was absolutely fantastic, the players had no idea that Bahamut was imprisoned by it. Most knew that Dalamud was a weapon from an ancient civilization. A lot assumed it would actually fire at us, or just simply smash into Eorzea. The fact that it is Bahamut, and thus an Elder Primal, has huge implications to the storyline. We now know Bahamut has been imprisoned for several millenia, and that the Empire also had no idea that Bahamut was imprisoned inside. They too thought it was a weapon that could be used for war against Eorzea. Nael Van Darnus (the protagonist of FFXIV Dalamud story) did however have knowledge of Dalamud's secret, as he is from the bloodline of those who created Dalamud in the first place.

    I haven't felt this stoked about a Final Fantasy in years. It looks like SE can still tell a great story after all. I'm now more excited for this than any FF in development.

    even though i had to quit FFXIV when it stopped free-to-play (couldn't afford it) the video touched me too. probably not as much as someone like yourself that had been playing the game this whole time.. but i wish i would've been able to continue playing it. which makes me all the more excited that i'll be able to afford it once it comes out again. i just don't know if i'll have to buy another retail version or if they can just let us 1.0 people download it. :P
    image
  • 7thCircle7thCircle RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    Khisanth Magus said:
    I have one question...how the heck did Square-enix manage to make a video that makes me want to play FF14?
    Because it has no gameplay footage.

    SE is still king of CGI sequences when it tries. I think all the FF13 Versus hype was because it looked like Advent Children: The Video Game.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    noodle said:
    i just don't know if i'll have to buy another retail version or if they can just let us 1.0 people download it. :P
    You won't have to buy it again. It's a free download for all of us that own the original.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited November 2012
    The world ended over the weekend, bringing a new trailer for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. The last save was November 1, but players were invited back this weekend to participate in the Hour of Reckoning, a last ditch effort to repel the descending of the lesser moon.
    Oh God, it's happening!
  • noodlenoodle Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    Jormungand said:
    You won't have to buy it again. It's a free download for all of us that own the original.
    hurray! i didn't want to buy it again.
    image
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    I previously mentioned rumours of SE reactivating the non-Realm Reborn FFXIV servers.

    Seems as though they are doing that tomorrow with three catches;

    - You can only access the server if your account sub was due to run out after the 30th of September
    - Nothing will be carried over, as the final data save has already been done
    - If numbers drop below 30%, SE will reclose the servers (Running costs, presumably)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • noodlenoodle Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    Quin said:
    I previously mentioned rumours of SE reactivating the non-Realm Reborn FFXIV servers.

    Seems as though they are doing that tomorrow with three catches;

    - You can only access the server if your account sub was due to run out after the 30th of September
    - Nothing will be carried over, as the final data save has already been done
    - If numbers drop below 30%, SE will reclose the servers (Running costs, presumably)
    AHHHH! i wish i could play.
    image
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited November 2012
    It looked pretty, but without any dialogue or context I actually started to doze off.

    So If the big dragon was just going to blow everything up anyway, what was the point of the mass combat? Why even have an army? And Is the evil army even ok with getting nuked right along side the good guys? Did Bahamut discuss this with them before the fight, and did they agree to this? Like, hey, when I'm released, I'm going to kill you all too. What does Bahamut even get out of destroying the world anyway? Does he just want to look at a barren wasteland all day?

    These are things us uninitiated want to know, heh.
    sup?
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    Maudren said:
    It looked pretty, but without any dialogue or context I actually started to doze off.

    So If the big dragon was just going to blow everything up anyway, what was the point of the mass combat? Why even have an army? And Is the evil army even ok with getting nuked right along side the good guys? Did Bahamut discuss this with them before the fight, and did they agree to this? Like, hey, when I'm released, I'm going to kill you all too. What does Bahamut even get out of destroying the world anyway? Does he just want to look at a barren wasteland all day?

    These are things us uninitiated want to know, heh.
    It makes sense in context, from what I gather.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • noodlenoodle Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    it made sense to me. they didn't know that that was really bahamut. not until way late.
    image
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Hmm, I have to admit, what's in the trailer is exactly what I'd like to see in a single player mmo.

    Right now I don't know if I can commit to a sub. I'm loving the old republic right now, and I'm not sure if a sub game can pull me away.

    Hopefully they will roll out some demo action once the new game launches so I can at least try it out.
    sup?
Sign In or Register to comment.