If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Staff Review - Persona 4 Golden

omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know?RPGamer Staff
edited November 2012 in Latest Updates
There's more truth to be had in Atlus's revamp of a PlayStation 2 classic. Fans and newcomers alike will definitely want to visit Inaba this winter.

Read the review here

Whatthehelldontpublishthatihateyoustupidjerk!
"It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
Follow me on Twitter
Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!

Comments

• Khisanth MagusKhisanth Magus Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I really want this...but its honestly the only thing on the VITA that really interests me at the moment, so I really can't justify buying one just for this :/
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactic's Ogre I choose u! Full Members
    edited November 2012
    YAY! I'm getting this one for xmas, and can't wait to check it out!

Finally, a VITA game for my VITA.... must be the end of the world as we know it!

Oh ****.... if the world ends I won't get to play it....
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    Khisanth Magus said:
    I really want this...but its honestly the only thing on the VITA that really interests me at the moment, so I really can't justify buying one just for this :/
    Yes you can.

Trust me. You can.

Consider that P4G is like 3 times as long as most games (and 80 times as long as CoD:Black Ops Declassified!) So really, one game of this calibur and size ought to be a good reason to pick up a system.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • LOLOttertardLOLOttertard Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    This is definitely a game for which I would by a Vita, but a little note on the review itself, isn't P4's difficulty adjustable instead of "moderate?" No offense, it just somewhat turns me off when reviewers don't get their facts straight.
    edited November 2012
    Simba B said:
    This is definitely a game for which I would by a Vita, but a little note on the review itself, isn't P4's difficulty adjustable instead of "moderate?" No offense, it just somewhat turns me off when reviewers don't get their facts straight.
    Difficulty has to be selected at the beginning of the game and can't be adjusted once play has begun. For that reason, I felt moderate was a more appropriate entry, basing it on the normal difficulty.
    Follow me on Twitter
  • Morgan19Morgan19 Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    (Pssst... The specs sidebar in the review still lists "PS2" under PLATFORM.)
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    omegabyte said:
    Difficulty has to be selected at the beginning of the game and can't be adjusted once play has begun. For that reason, I felt moderate was a more appropriate entry, basing it on the normal difficulty.
    Yeah, that's the way that makes most sense to me. If you can't actually adjust it after the playthrough has started then that doesn't really count as 'Adjustable'.

Not particularly surprised at its awesomeness, very much looking forward to it :D
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)
  • RyumoauRyumoau Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    disappointed theres no PS Plus discount on the psn version, so i might as well get retail disk now. i'm usually agains't spending $40 on a game i already played (and beat) but with the store credit i have, it should only cost around $17 for me which is great.

Can't wait till gamestop opens 10 am tomorrow to get it. :)

Edit: also just glanced at the trophies and it seems there aren't any tied to difficulty so i can thankfully play on the easiest difficulty available. I'm more interested in the social aspects of the game than the actual battles (which are kinda dull).
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau
    edited November 2012
    Morgan19 said:
    (Pssst... The specs sidebar in the review still lists "PS2" under PLATFORM.)
    Thanks for pointing that out, it has been fixed.
    Follow me on Twitter
  • The Last PaladinThe Last Paladin Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Atlus continues on amazing me with their games. They remind me a lot now of the Squaresoft years when just about any game they put out you were really looking forward to.
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I never got to finish P4 due to a room mate's dog yanking the PS2 off the shelf while I was playing and ruining the disc, so very much looking forward to getting this once I can afford a Vita.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited November 2012
    This is the part where I toss up between a $20 copy of the original or shelling out $350 for a Vita/P4G/memory card/tax...
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited November 2012
    Shaymin said:
    This is the part where I toss up between a $20 copy of the original or shelling out $350 for a Vita/P4G/memory card/tax...
    You can't go wrong either way.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited November 2012
    Macstorm said:
    You can't go wrong either way.
    Personally I would still recommend the new version. I can't imagine the game without the new social links anymore. They add too much important stuff to the story.
    Follow me on Twitter
  • GrayWolf323GrayWolf323 Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    PSN needs to update the store bright and early today so I can buy P4G already

the game will never leave my Vita once it's installed on my memory card :D
  • RyumoauRyumoau Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    GrayWolf323 said:
    PSN needs to update the store bright and early today so I can buy P4G already

the game will never leave my Vita once it's installed on my memory card :D
    yeah, Sony really needs to be more consistent with their updates. Some tuesdays its 3pm eastern, while others its not till 10pm. I'm eagerly awaiting today's update because of the free games they are giving PS Plus members for the Vita.
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I loved the PS2 version, and I thought it was a great "get" for Sony to have on the Vita. ....But I can't justify a Vita + memory card purchase for it. There's not a single other game on the platform that's "must-have" to me (not a lot of titles, period really). The expenditure seems like an even worse idea when coupled with the fact that I'd be shelling out for an update of a game I already have.. and only that. Also, I still vastly, vastly, vastly prefer playing long-form role-playing games on a home console + television setup instead of a portable. For example, even while I enjoyed the improvements to the Persona 3 Portable, the PS2 version was still more accessible in a way.

It's backwards a bit: Catherine & Persona-Arena would be games I'd find interesting to play briefly on a portable, while the series releases I'd vastly prefer on home console. The portable drift has been steadily removing a large chunk of jrpgs from my plate I suppose.
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Welp just bought a Vita just for this, a game I've beaten multiple times, and a Ys game that hasn't even been confirmed for localization. Who's good with money? I'm good with money.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited November 2012
    The Doomhammer said:
    Welp just bought a Vita just for this, a game I've beaten multiple times, and a Ys game that hasn't even been confirmed for localization. Who's good with money? I'm good with money.
    For Persona 4 and a chance at Ys Celceta? I think you'll be happy.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Good to know they've made an already insufferably long game even longer. I've been playing the PS2 version on and off since the European launch in early '09, and I'm still not done.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    It sounds great but I just don't think I can do it again.
    I played the bloody heck out of that game.
    The hours and hours of fusion...
    I dug the review, though.
  • kazrikokazriko Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Jitawa said:
    I loved the PS2 version, and I thought it was a great "get" for Sony to have on the Vita. ....But I can't justify a Vita + memory card purchase for it. There's not a single other game on the platform that's "must-have" to me (not a lot of titles, period really). The expenditure seems like an even worse idea when coupled with the fact that I'd be shelling out for an update of a game I already have.. and only that. Also, I still vastly, vastly, vastly prefer playing long-form role-playing games on a home console + television setup instead of a portable. For example, even while I enjoyed the improvements to the Persona 3 Portable, the PS2 version was still more accessible in a way.

It's backwards a bit: Catherine & Persona-Arena would be games I'd find interesting to play briefly on a portable, while the series releases I'd vastly prefer on home console. The portable drift has been steadily removing a large chunk of jrpgs from my plate I suppose.
    Persona 4 Arena isn't really a bite-sized game unless you're just doing Arcade and Online modes. The story mode is definitely a long form game.

They're doing some really good black friday sales at gamestop tomorrow night for the Vita. $200 with a game (Assassin's Creed Liberation) and a memory card.

There's actually a lot of titles, but you have to go into the downloadable titles. Especially with Playstation Plus and getting 3 of the very best games on the system (Mutant Blobs Attack, Gravity Rush, Uncharted: Golden Abyss) at no extra cost over your PS3 PSN+ subscription.

The Vita has been the best gaming investment I've ever made, not only because of the games on the Vita itself, but also the upgrade of all of the PSP games that I purchased previously on PSN, and several PS1 titles I hadn't finished previously. The Vita has borged about 70% of my gaming time since I picked it up in February.
    edited November 2012
    Macstorm said:
    For Persona 4 and a chance at Ys Celceta? I think you'll be happy.
    And you could always grab Virtue's Last Reward in the interim :)
    Follow me on Twitter
    edited November 2012
    omegabyte said:
    And you could always grab Virtue's Last Reward in the interim :)
    Buying VLR would be a very good move.
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    kazriko said:
    Persona 4 Arena isn't really a bite-sized game unless you're just doing Arcade and Online modes. The story mode is definitely a long form game.

They're doing some really good black friday sales at gamestop tomorrow night for the Vita. $200 with a game (Assassin's Creed Liberation) and a memory card.

There's actually a lot of titles, but you have to go into the downloadable titles. Especially with Playstation Plus and getting 3 of the very best games on the system (Mutant Blobs Attack, Gravity Rush, Uncharted: Golden Abyss) at no extra cost over your PS3 PSN+ subscription.

The Vita has been the best gaming investment I've ever made, not only because of the games on the Vita itself, but also the upgrade of all of the PSP games that I purchased previously on PSN, and several PS1 titles I hadn't finished previously. The Vita has borged about 70% of my gaming time since I picked it up in February.
    These things are always relative I guess (with respect to what people like). I actively dislike the Uncharted series for instance, so the existence of that title was never a draw. Some forthcoming titles that you might think would be a draw (Final Fantasy X remake) are also not one. I don't want to diminish other people's Vita purchases, and I'm glad people are enjoying it. It's not that I'm completely unaware of the available catalog; just yet to have two games I actually want (on the subject of portable vs. home-console, I actually replay some of the PS1 catalog at home since I don't like to play those games on a portable).

The Persona series has been a slight exception to my interests. I liked Megaten enough to play Persona 3 again on the PSP even though I don't like playing that kind of game on portables. If I were to play Persona 3 again, I'd be playing the PS2 version. So there's a large aspect of this that's just not enjoying playing console RPGs on portables. It's just personal preference. I didn't play some PSP RPGs until emulation was sufficient that I could play them as-if they were home console games (others I ONLY played with the TV-out function). In that sense, the Vita is a downgrade since they removed the TV-out function.
  • hyperknees91hyperknees91 Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Expected and I really do want this game, but alas it's still not worth the price of a vita for me (considering outside of ys celceta no other games interest me).

It's just not worth the price for a port of a game you can play for 20 bucks.
  • pcaballepcaballe Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    The PlayStation Vita Assassins Creed 3 bundle is going to be available at gamestop tomorrow for $199, and that includes a memory card/stick/whatever. So it would be around $250 for that and P4G, or you can get a used ps2, and the original p4 plus a memory card for $85. Up to you.
    “Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen.”
    -Einstein
    edited November 2012
    Jitawa said:
    These things are always relative I guess (with respect to what people like). I actively dislike the Uncharted series for instance, so the existence of that title was never a draw. Some forthcoming titles that you might think would be a draw (Final Fantasy X remake) are also not one. I don't want to diminish other people's Vita purchases, and I'm glad people are enjoying it. It's not that I'm completely unaware of the available catalog; just yet to have two games I actually want (on the subject of portable vs. home-console, I actually replay some of the PS1 catalog at home since I don't like to play those games on a portable).

The Persona series has been a slight exception to my interests. I liked Megaten enough to play Persona 3 again on the PSP even though I don't like playing that kind of game on portables. If I were to play Persona 3 again, I'd be playing the PS2 version. So there's a large aspect of this that's just not enjoying playing console RPGs on portables. It's just personal preference. I didn't play some PSP RPGs until emulation was sufficient that I could play them as-if they were home console games (others I ONLY played with the TV-out function). In that sense, the Vita is a downgrade since they removed the TV-out function.
    Eh, to each their own I guess. I've mentioned before, Disgaea 3 + Persona 4 + Gravity Rush was all it took to make me buy one even before the official release. I like playing Persona games on portable, and have always preferred Disgaea portable as well. The nicest thing about a portable system on an RPG is that even if you aren't at a save point, you can just hit the power button and come back to it later. It turns almost any game into a bite-sized playable game as long as you have a good memory. The other games that have been excellent on the Vita were things like Virtue's Last Reward (#2 for Game of the Year on my list,) Rayman Origins, and Sound Shapes. I'm not looking forward to FF10 myself as I usually don't replay games much. There's just a ton of PSP titles that are much better on the Vita though, so I have no lack of games to play. 60% of my gaming now is on the Vita, when I'm out waiting for someone in the car or laying in bed trying to get to sleep. I don't get much time to sit down at the PS3 anymore between the job (7-10 hours a day, 7 days a week) and needing to take the family places (I'm the only one who has a drivers license.)

The TV Out function on the PSP was rather pathetic though. It put it in a tiny box on the screen so it wasn't ultimately much bigger than looking at the system itself. That said, if they did a proper tv out on the Vita with HDMI (which they probably could, they have tons of extra pins on that connector on the bottom) I'd probably use that a little bit. Though, I usually just played my PS3 when I was at home, rather than going through the trouble to get the PSP Go, it's bluetooth controller adapter, and you had to exit out of the game to activate the tv out.
  • ScarScar Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    If I didn't have P4 already i would consider this, but I don't even have a Vita...although I did just get my gf into P3 in hopes that she would jump right into P4.

Either way I will most likely look up the added social links.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    I did it. I bought the Vita. And P4G. Between Omega's review, the sale on the AC3 bundle, and my wife asking me to get one as my Christmas present (cuz there's nothing really else I've even been interested in)....it was just a good time. And it looks like there's a new PSPlus deal that pretty much gives you an instant library of new games for your Vita (Gravity Rush, Uncharted 3, Wipout 2048, and some others), among other benefits, for $50/yr. See my post here for my PSV related new owner PSPlus questions. Looks like Vita is picking up some needed steam!