If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Interview with Trent Oster

MacstormMacstorm Ysy St.Administrators
edited December 2012 in Latest Updates
How excited should you be about a game that is over a decade old? From what we hear there is enough new content to look forward to, but we talked with Trent Oster just to make sure.

Interview
"The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Comments

• Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I was interested in it but then I read it will be download only. No thanks.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I hope that it's available at launch on GOG.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    It's really too bad they couldn't ink a deal with Sony.
    Oh well. Torchlight didn't make it either.
    No big suprise.
    Thanks for the interview.
  • Jmustang1968Jmustang1968 RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    SiliconNooB said:
    I hope that it's available at launch on GOG.
    It will not be on Gog. Due to the nature of their contract and business model it will only be available through Beamdog. However, they will make it a direct download and allow you to not use their client for BGEE.
    edited November 2012
    Meh, I'll just get vanilla BG through GOG then.
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I'm curious, whats's so bad about having to get it drm free through a different service? Personally I'd prefer to get it through Steam, but it's not going to keep me from getting what looks like a fantastic update to an old favorite.
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited November 2012
    For me it's a matter of trust. I want to hold the thing I'm buying in my hands before paying for it, then I know I get what I pay for.
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactic's Ogre I choose u! Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I'm absolutely stoked for this, along with the update.

It looks like they have taken genuine care to maintain a classic title and give it a facelift.

The newer generation of gamers may not "get it" or understand it.... but gamers like myself love this return to roots.
  • LOLOttertardLOLOttertard Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Unless they fix the things that I consider flaws in the original version, I'll probably skip this.
  • risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    Great interview Mac. I'm looking forward to this one myself, I especially want to try it on the iPad.
  • Jmustang1968Jmustang1968 RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    Simba B said:
    Unless they fix the things that I consider flaws in the original version, I'll probably skip this.
    What do you consider flaws that would prevent you from playing?
  • LOLOttertardLOLOttertard Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Jmustang1968 said:
    What do you consider flaws that would prevent you from playing?
    Well, frequent deaths of my characters and the expense of reviving them, not to mention generally horribly-balanced battle mechanics and a terrible direction on how to advance the main storyline.
  • risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title - RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    Simba B said:
    Well, frequent deaths of my characters and the expense of reviving them, not to mention generally horribly-balanced battle mechanics and a terrible direction on how to advance the main storyline.
    Well I know that the game is running on the BG2 ToB engine and that they have greatly improved/overhauled the Journal, so maybe a few of your complaints have already been addressed.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Baldur's Gate is fun, but there's basically no reason to play it when you could be playing Baldur's Gate II or Icewind Dale. I also doubt whatever they've added enough to the game is worth buying it again for $20. For that price you can buy both BGI and BGII on GOG, and just install the mod that lets you run BGI in the BG2 engine.
    edited November 2012
    freykin said:
    I'm curious, whats's so bad about having to get it drm free through a different service? Personally I'd prefer to get it through Steam, but it's not going to keep me from getting what looks like a fantastic update to an old favorite.
    I don't want to have all of my digital purchases scattered across multiple different providers, so it's only GOG and Steam for me on the PC.
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Drav said:
    Baldur's Gate is fun, but there's basically no reason to play it when you could be playing Baldur's Gate II or Icewind Dale. I also doubt whatever they've added enough to the game is worth buying it again for $20. For that price you can buy both BGI and BGII on GOG, and just install the mod that lets you run BGI in the BG2 engine.
    I do believe they've stated BG2 was going to be next? I liked the sound of this whole thing better when it was going to be possibly HD (before they found out the assets were gone). It does sound like they've tried to do a nice job, probably a good deal for iOS-only gamers. I still own the originals on discs myself, and still have Tutu installations on my PC at the moment - hard to justify grabbing it for another platform considering.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited November 2012
    Jitawa said:
    I do believe they've stated BG2 was going to be next?
    The interview confirms as much.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited November 2012
    And supposedly then Planescape: Torment, God help us.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Drav said:
    And supposedly then Planescape: Torment, God help us.
    Words can't express how much I want to see this!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactic's Ogre I choose u! Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I do not recommend anyone to buy this game as of right now.... launcher does not work... forums/support are all "down" for both the game deve and beamdog. I don't understand why this game even needs a launcher... anyhow very frustrating, especially when you can't get any answer at all as to why.
    edited December 2012
    Reviews/forum impressions are in. Scores are high because reviewers basically reviewed it on the merits of the original game instead of as a port (which is kind of dumb when the original is readily available for half the price), but it sounds like the enhancements aren't really worth the extra $10 and there are general concerns about stability and graphical fidelity. Also they got rid of the Nietzsche quote.
  • jcservantjcservant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2012
    SiliconNooB said:
    I don't want to have all of my digital purchases scattered across multiple different providers, so it's only GOG and Steam for me on the PC.
    I have to agree with SN here.

After listening to Mr. Stringer on the RPGBacktrack we recorded on Tuesday, I decided to mosey on over to their site. It's odd. There's no forum or anything. I looked my normal distribution channels (Steam, GoG, EA/Origin and even GameStop DL'er) and I didn't see it. (I'm sorry...but that's the way most of us PC Gamers in the 2010's roll). I go back to the site to find where to buy this thing from, and all links go to Beamfrog.

What in the name of all that electronic and dear to my heart is Beamfrog? Let's see what the site says...

[Quote=Beamfrog]
    'Beamdog is a digital distribution service for games. When you purchase a game on our website, you then use the Beamdog Client to quickly download your game. When the download is finished, your game is ready to play - no installation required! We believe that PC gaming should be as painless as possible, so we strive to remove all the unnecessary steps involved in PC gaming. We also pride ourselves on excellent customer service and like to keep in touch with our users."

Zomg. Another client? I'm sorry, but this is a huge misstep. I'm not sure how much lower the commission cut is on this channel versus something a lot more common (steam), but c'mon. Someone/something as large as Blizzard can get away with this (battle.net), or EA (Origin - And even some of their games are on Steam). But a Baldur's Gate re-release? Like SiliconNoob, I'm totally drawin' the line here. I have Steam for most of my games, EA/Origin because my wife is a huge Sims fan (and its where I have Command & Conquer and Dragon Age games), and a metric ton of GoG games (which requires no client). I dumped Window's live as well as Impulse (now owned by Gamestop) in order to do exactly what SN did...consolodate. I'm also mostly Steam and GoG now. (Darn Sims).

My friend insists that they are avaialble as direct DL from the publisher with a one time activation DRM to their servers. I'm not a huge fan of that, either (I like having my games all listed on Steam/GoG), but it would be better than a Beamfrog...however, I think they removed that option. Everytime ya click "Buy It" on their website, it takes ya to BeamFrog. If someone can show me differently, I would appreciate it.

I'm not going to say I'm disappointed because i wasn't looking that much forward to it anyway :) I have the Gog version and I'm OK playing it old skool style. I just think that releasing it only through Beamfrog was a huge marketing misstep. Steam may take 30% commission, but the much higher volume a developer makes in sales easily takes care of that cost by a magnitude of degrees. (Personally, I'd love a GoG version). Maybe the iPad deal will go gangbusters (Only one channel to sell games there, and it isn't Beamfrog!). I'm very curious to see how the whole thing handles control wise on that platform given the huge amount of input needed just to get through any of the tougher fights (and pausing...oh so much pausing!)
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited December 2012
    Drav said:
    Also they got rid of the Nietzsche quote.
    Aw damn, now anyone introduced to BG through this EE won't get the joke in Barkley 2.
    edited December 2012
    Anyone who's enough of a hipster to be playing indie joke JRPGs has almost certainly read the wikiquote page for Beyond Good and Evil at some point.