If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Suikoden III - Staff Retroview

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
edited November 2012 in Latest Updates
Home, home on the Grasslands, where the ducks and the lizard men play. Where seldom is heard a discouraging word, and the Zexen skies are clouded all day.
Those feet aren't webbed - are they really ducks?
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    He liked it! Mikey liked it!

:D
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Great game, but I generally love the series. It gets flak for following up the great Suikoden 2 and shifting from those memorable sprites to... yeah. I still thought it was wonderful though. Has one of the few villains I've ever felt bad for.
  • LOLOttertardLOLOttertard Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    lol suiko3 roolz suiko4 sux amirite?

Kidding, I actually thought Tierkreis was worse than IV. I personally felt as well that the third game felt more out of place in the franchise than the fourth game, but the third is definitely the better game, I'll concur.
  • kazrikokazriko Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Suikoden 3 was the second game I played in the series, but the first one I finished. I think it's the best of the series that I've finished so far, being better than both Suikoden 1 and Suikoden Tierkreis.

I didn't get the Suikoden 4 hate, aside from the smaller party size that's really irritating. I still haven't finished it myself though.

I've never managed to play Suikoden 2. Never saw a copy in store, never managed to get one before its price skyrocketed.
  • Jmustang1968Jmustang1968 RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    I agree with this review, one of my favorite PS2 RPGs.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxFull Members
    edited November 2012
    So far I've played 5 Suikoden games and this is number 2 of them. 5 still remains my favourite in spite of its slow start. I want to play 2 to see what the fuss is about, but there's no game out there that I would enjoy enough to pay $200 for a copy of. That said, if it appears on the PSN for like 9.99 or 5.99, I will get it super fast.

The only thing I really didn't enjoy about this game though was the trekking back and forth until you get the teleport lady. I liked the characters and the story, especially the two sides of that first chapter where the knight chick
    Spoiler:
    kills that kid guy
    and Hugo(I think) freaks out. I played thinking he was the main character, so I gave him the fire thing and stuff. If I ever get number 2 I may find myself spending some time going through all of them again.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactic's Ogre I choose u! Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I thoroughly enjoyed the main titles of this franchise. The one with the boats... 4... was annoying but still playable.

It's unfortunate when rpg developers move away from the source material to be "innovative" when really the original format is what they should keep. This happens way too often with a franchise... *cough cough* looking at you Square.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    kazriko said:

I didn't get the Suikoden 4 hate, aside from the smaller party size that's really irritating. I still haven't finished it myself though.
    My hate is for the world map mechanic ... god damn does the ship thing SUCK and seems slow
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    This review is spot on.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited November 2012
    Glad to hear you liked it JuMe.

Suikoden 3 was my first entry into the series, and it is my favorite by far, but I haven't beaten Suikoden 2 so I can't say that for certain. Suikoden 4 was the next one, and while the battles and ship annoyed me, I did like the game quite a bit. Then I got Tactics and enjoyed seeing all the plot points from Suikoden 4 explained and finally solved. Then I played Suikoden 1 and got to see how it started, which was a nice romp. I still need to beat Tierkreis and Suikoden 2, along with finding an actual copy of Suikoden 5. Once I do all that, I shall finally pull out my full list of which ones I like the most.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    Glad to hear you liked it JuMe.

Suikoden 3 was my first entry into the series, and it is my favorite by far, but I haven't beaten Suikoden 2 so I can't say that for certain. Suikoden 4 was the next one, and while the battles and ship annoyed me, I did like the game quite a bit. Then I got Tactics and enjoyed seeing all the plot points from Suikoden 4 explained and finally solved. Then I played Suikoden 1 and got to see how it started, which was a nice romp. I still need to beat Tierkreis and Suikoden 2, along with finding an actual copy of Suikoden 5. Once I do all that, I shall finally pull out my full list of which ones I like the most.
    If you leave near NM I'll be happy to lend you mine :D
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
  • colormonstercolormonster Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    My biggest gripe with Suikoden 3 was with the combat system and the lack of world map. I liked everything else, but I often wonder about how perfect it would've been if it had kept the traditional 6 man battle system and had a more explorable world.
  • NekobasuNekobasu RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2012
    riulyn said:
    This review is spot on.
    This post is spot on.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited November 2012
    TheAnimeMan said:
    If you leave near NM I'll be happy to lend you mine :D
    Sorry, in SC. However I'll see if I can find a copy online since I have money right now.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Borrow it through the mail. Drem and I do it sometimes.
  • retrodragonretrodragon Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I'm surprised you liked this game as much as you did! I actually completed it years ago, and remember enjoying it quite a bit at the time. Recently, however I replayed it only to find that the pacing was really killing me. Nothing overly specific bothered me, just a general sense of its age I guess. Weird thing is that I replayed the original Suikoden recently as well and blew right through it. In any case, great to see a recent review of this game. I might just pull it off the shelf again to see what I missed.
    Playing: Wild Arms 3, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Star Ocean First Departure
    www.retrodragon.wordpress.com
  • hyperknees91hyperknees91 Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Yeah..I'll never understand why Suikoden IV flat out removed the skill system introduced (and Suikoden V dumbed it down severely). It was the one thing that actually made some of the characters really different from one another in comparison to the other games.

Though I'll agree, even though apparently the story team went through production hell from what I've heard, it's still a top notch story that few games can match.
  • ScarScar Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    One of the saddest days in my lifer came when I was going to loan my copy of Suikoden 2 to a friend so he could also enjoy its awesomeness...I go to open the jeweled case and....the CD was not inside.

I almost cried then and there.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    I liked Sui 3, but didn't love it.
    I still caught all 108 pokemon, though.
    I've played them all and I really think the PS3 needs one too!
  • Daniel36Daniel36 Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Suikoden 3 is the only one I have yet to really play.
    Beat Suikoden I twice, almost beat Suikoden II twice (and I hate myself for it), beat Suikoden IV once and loved the game, beat Suikoden Tactics and loved how it interacted with IV, beat Suikoden V as well and I have a love/hate affair with it. I might want to get back to that one some day. I probably still have the new game + save.

I have Suikoden III, and had to go through an immense amount of trouble to get it to work (having a European PS2 that is), and when I finally got it to play, I felt underwhelmed. I am sure I will love it eventually, I thought the castle was very cool looking, so...

I need to get back to it. To all of them really... Especially II.
  • ShinseitoriShinseitori Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    You nailed it on the pluses and minuses, JuMe. That's the game in a nutshell. I would have also added: "- Thomas. >_<"

I actually never considered the possibility of a rushed latter third or so of the game, <i>a la Xenogears, but it's plausible. Like Xenogears, this one can easily clock in at 70+ hours, too. I can't decide if it just feels that way because the player
    Spoiler:
    abruptly goes from three viewpoints to a combined one
    , or if it's because they trimmed out a chapter or so. I, like every other Suiko fan, could have gone for more Harmonia development.
    Rise!
  • BalanceBalance Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    my memory is patchy on suikodens, I adored the early suikodens. I remember getting narked about a ship battle tactical event in Suikoden 4 but I got it the 2nd try. O~n another suikoden I discovered I miss my chance to collect all the stars on the tablets of pokemo, (kidding) and that pissed me off too. As for recurring characters that I love, teleport lost wonder Vicky?
    My favourite thing about Suikoden, is that the recruitment of them shows you the type of charcter they are, one of the more impressive ways of using scant resources to make characters come alive and feel personal to you.

Forgot to add, I also watched the infamous "The Story of Ricky-O" It's like an extreme parady of martial arts movies, it's so Over-the-top it's funny. I doubt it's meant to be taken seriously. the tropes were shoved into your face and mushed. it's graphic , violent and grotesque, the virtue of machismo taken to an unreal level. Another martial arts spoof called Kung Pow is a far better and funnier parody. An observation I would add is that guys such as Quentin Tarantino, love watching bad low budget movies, he manages to refine the best of the cool stuff in his films, the mention of Ricky-O reminds me of "Machete" the Mexican-sploitation maverick federal agent movie ...muwhahaha.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited November 2012
    III holds a very special place in my heart, as it was the first 3D Suikoden, and I really fell in love with the three character system. Also, it was just after beating II, which is one of my favorite games of all time.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • SpaceLionSpaceLion Formerly kuhfuss5 Full Members
    edited November 2012
    Just saw this review. Really got me thinking about replaying this game (plus the others in the series). Such fond memories. It was my first intro to the Suikoden world, and has been one of my favorite series' since.