If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Windows 8 opinions?

ShadowcatShadowcat MemberFull Members
edited November 2013 in Miscellaneous
I guess I should ask before I go totally off on a tangent. What do you guys think about widows 8? I've seem it like 3-4 times and don't really want it anywhere near my mouse-driven desktop due to MS's tablet centric "Modern UI" but I really need more crazy opinions...

also inspired by the mini-discussion in the PS store update thread.
FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
FlOzXvF.jpg
My VAPS Entry,

Comments

• xocolatlxocolatl Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    I think you should only upgrade if you are planning on having other devices. The desktop app seems to work fine, and most sites are reporting that it works perfectly well with games. The learning curve also seems manageable if you're half way into computers. But it seems to me that you won't reap the whole benefit unless you get into MS tablet/phones. I don't think the touch screen matters much on a desktop, unless you can use it as a standalone terminal, like me--I turn my screen around to my sofa bed to use it as a TV at night. I don't have access to the keyboard or mouse if I do that. Currently I just have an extra trackball plugged in so I can control it from that space without flat surface. In my case, having a touch screen would be very nice.

More importantly though, my Galaxy S2 is due for a change. I like the gadgets and whizzbangs that it has, but the thing has horrible reception/call volume. It makes working extremely difficult. So I have been thinking about either upgrading to the Lumia phone, or if I can hold out, a BB10 (My phone is strictly for business, not pleasure). Having the computer synching to my phone easily would be a real boon.

So qualifying for both things, I was planning on upgrading to win8. But yeah..it's gonna do some real damage to my hardware, since it's getting pretty dated and is probably unsupported.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    I would just go with Win7. You can downgrade a license for Windows 8 Pro to Windows 7 Pro. Learn more.
    edited December 2012
    Lemme derail this topic a bit: any good place for Win8 phone review?
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited December 2012
    I don't know. I'm certainly glad that Microsoft worked on a new UI instead of going with the status quo. However, I am not a fan of the Metro interface as a desktop experience. It was WAY better suited for the touchscreen. I feel that Windows 7 is still very good and don't plan on upgrading to 8 until their app store has more apps in it.
    edited October 2013
    OK...so time has passed, and I'm now using WP8 (el cheapo Lumia 520). It doesn't have many Apps, but it works fine. BB (RIM) is also kinda dead, so I guess that plan won't be happening for me.

The question now becomes, do I get Win8 for my PC? I've been thinking about it, but I can't afford to upgrade both the Windows and Office at the same time (and I need Office for work).
    Quick question--does anyone know if any light-weight torrent client works on Win8? I usually use uTorrent light (no install required), and I really like it due to the light weight.
    Also, is it hard to change hard drive after upgrading? If so, I'll hold out until I can do it at the same time. I could go with a larger drive.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Windows 8 well It runs smoother and faster than Windows 7 but it has many gimmicks and even if "Start" button is "back" it still takes you to the smartglass like boxes. I rather stay with 7 unless I'm using a laptop with touchscreen features. Giving my position I will need to install one regardless...*sighs*
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • Emmanuel VandelEmmanuel Vandel New Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Window 8 has many advanced features and support all features of old windows.I am still using window 7 and thinking to upgrade it to window 8 in the coming days.
    Window 8 is fully touch oriented and have a wide collection of apps and many other advanced new features.You must try it once if your device meets its hardware requirement specification.
  • chealaxchealax New Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Though windows 8 is better than windows 7 but people who have been comfortable using start menu find it hard or rather confusing to immediately start using windows 8. Or you can also opt for windows 8.1.