If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Ni No Kuni Demo Drops This Week

OcelotOcelot is not declawedRPGamer Staff
edited December 2012 in Latest Updates
Is everybody ready to experience a tiny slice of the Wrath of the White Witch? Namco Bandai has an early Christmas present ready for eager Ghibli fans.
Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited December 2012
    Oh I am SOOO downloading that tomorrow.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    I misread this at first and got super excited, thinking the full game was getting an early release. Would've synced up perfectly with this school term ending, ah well. Still, exciting that it's so close to release!
  • colormonstercolormonster Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    Finally! It drops just in time to mess with me during finals, fun fun.
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    Will be watching reviews of this game. Will this game be the tipping point that gets me to buy a PS3?
  • hoktomasterhoktomaster Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    If they want me to pay for it, I will!
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    I'm very excited to hear this.
  • EthosEthos Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    I don't remember the last time I enjoyed a RPG demo, even for RPGs I ended up loving. That being said, I am under fanboy contract to download and complete this demo.
    Mario Kart 8 Review - Latest Proto article
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited December 2012
    I'm curious to see if this demo brings more people over or turns more away.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • RealityCheckedRealityChecked Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    I try to avoid demos of games I already plan to buy, but it is frustratingly tempting.
  • storino03storino03 Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    I will have to download this---right now!
    www.backloggery.com/storino03
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2012
    I am downloading now, but must go to bed.

I'll probably wake up in a few hours and be a bad girl and go downstairs to play.
  • RyumoauRyumoau Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    demo was interesting but i hate the obnoxious time limit. I was literally knocked out of the demo during the fight against that fire boss. :/
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited December 2012
    I'll wait for the full release, I already know I'll buy it anyway and my instincts rarely fail me.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    Yeah. The 25 minute limit is lame!
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2012
    I have to say, the combat system is more challenging and engaging than I expected! Of course, the visuals and music are amazing. Can't wait to get the full version and tuck in.

The 25 minute limit is weird. Like, the demo already has an automatic stopping point anyway.
  • LOLOttertardLOLOttertard Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    I unfortunately can't play this demo since I have an old PS3 that's not wired to the internet and doesn't have Wi-Fi :/
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2012
    I tried the demo a little while ago.

The time limit is indeed a bit weird. With the book and various systems this is the kind of game that invites you to sit back, take your time with things, and explore wht it has to offer, but the time limit really ruins that. Also, the first boss the demo throws at you is surprisingly challenging, which makes it a bit poor of a choice for an enemy to teach you the game with. Everything looks amazing, though.
  • DaylightDiesDaylightDies Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    Played for about 10 minutes, it convinced me to buy when I was already leaning that way.

This is everything I want in a modern RPG- good old style mechanics with a fresh new look. It's not that difficult- how come so few can do it nowadays?
    Bean Forever
    edited December 2012
    I think not many players still want old style mechanics. We are getting old and most have families and stuff and no time to play and the next generation just wants explosions.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2012
    Fire boss? Not this guy, was it?
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, that's the one.

So, demo #1:
    1) Died on the first boss. Of the game. Almost won but not quite.
    2) Beat the boss, but ran out of (demo) time on the errand.
    3) Finally won.

And then in demo #2:
    1) Ran out of time. Darn.
    2) Beat the boss on the first try. But my party member died late in the fight. They gave you a phoenix tear, which was nice.

This seems like a very difficult game. It's not on the level of games designed to challenge the player, like Demon's Souls or La-Mulana, though.
    edited December 2012
    Can you tell me how effective grinding is in the game? Does grinding a lot make it easier?
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    You have 25 minutes for each demo & can play again. The demo offers little insight into the character growth system; I don't think I've seen an RPG demo that did that.

You're also not allowed to look at the menu; this is typical for RPG demos.
  • RyumoauRyumoau Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    i love the battle system they are using. When iut first started and i saw the attack menus i began to get worried that it was just another boring traditional turn based system. After i choose a box, the monster i was fighting started moving around. Then i tried it myself and immediately began to like it more.

This should be the template for any jrpgs going forward that still feel the need to keep turn based combat. Adding simple movement just makes it feel so much more enjoyable.
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau
  • Berserk_AlucardBerserk_Alucard Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    I died against the first story's boss after the lack of combat tutorial. I didn't realise till the second try that you could actually move around... That changed the entire idea behind the combat. It meant I could just run around, collecting those recovery orbs that were dropped and hitting the boss with fireballs. Really interesting combat system, and I'm glad I've had this preordered for a while now.
    Gorgeous cel-shaded graphics as well =)
  • bigmark268bigmark268 New Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    Ahh finally a real RPG, none of this retarded new age FF garbage they try poorly pass off as an rpg lol.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited December 2012
    The vegetation etc. looks out of place. I don't know if I should buy this or not. I'm skeptical about this game...
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited December 2012
    Then you must rent it when it comes out, or bum it off one of your friends who have bought it.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • Sega_FanboiSega_Fanboi New Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    DaylightDies said:
    Played for about 10 minutes, it convinced me to buy when I was already leaning that way.

This is everything I want in a modern RPG- good old style mechanics with a fresh new look. It's not that difficult- how come so few can do it nowadays?
    I think it is because most are desperate trying to differentiate themselves by discovering new mechanics AND new looks, while desperately trying to appeal to a jaded fanbase that doesn't want innovation, only the illusion of novelty. They can't afford to spend precious time and money straight rehashing everything in a depressed and crowded market anyway. I do not think it is not a measure of can, I think most won't.
    "No matter how much they try to make me, I will never drink the water in THAT well."
    "The art of the online witty exchange looks too much like bullying. Despicable."
    "Sonic Adventure 2 is awesome."
  • Zeboyd GamesZeboyd Games Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    flamethrower said:
    Yeah, that's the one.

So, demo #1:
    1) Died on the first boss. Of the game. Almost won but not quite.
    2) Beat the boss, but ran out of (demo) time on the errand.
    3) Finally won.

And then in demo #2:
    1) Ran out of time. Darn.
    2) Beat the boss on the first try. But my party member died late in the fight. They gave you a phoenix tear, which was nice.

This seems like a very difficult game. It's not on the level of games designed to challenge the player, like Demon's Souls or La-Mulana, though.
    That wasn't my experience. Other than the first battle (while I was still trying to figure out the controls & mechanics), I thought the game felt pretty easy. It also seemed like it would be relatively easy to break the game with powerful monsters after you've customized them.
    You're also not allowed to look at the menu; this is typical for RPG demos.
    A couple menu options were locked off for the demo but you can definitely look at the menus and check out your monster stats, read tutorials (after the first boss) and the like.
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.