If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Star Ocean 5 confirmed! (This was the "Star Ocean, is this you?" thread.)

LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
edited September 2015 in Square Enix
http://liftoff.square-enix.co.jp/

Square Enix had launched a count down page. Please keep an eye on it!
Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited December 2012
    If it is, I hope it's on the lines of 1 and 2.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • severinmiraseverinmira Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2012
    As I said on twitter, it's quite clearly Star Ocean: The Last Hope Interplanetary Edition for Wii U. Because not enough have suffered through those characters yet :P
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    Hmm...well, it looks like there are two eden planets in that pic...and Star Ocean is the only major space-setting game in Squeenix's catalogue that's still somewhat relevant (unless I missed one on a handheld)...and there was that Star Ocean tech demo a little while back...

Hard to be excited though. Handhelds are the eventual destination of every console RPG franchise on the decline. Damn handhelds.
    As I said on twitter, it's quite clearly Star Ocean: The Last Hope Interplanetary Edition for Wii U

Also a good possibility.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    Doubt it's another version of The Last Hope.

Nothing in Last hope had to do with a Border War.

and I personally liked Last Hope and it's characters.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited December 2012
    In before, during and after GREE social iOS game.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    If it is a Star Ocean, there will be an incredibly advanced galactic civilization and 3/4 of the game will be spent on some medieval/magic backwater.
    edited December 2012
    Aurian wrote: »
    If it is a Star Ocean, there will be an incredibly advanced galactic civilization and 3/4 of the game will be spent on some medieval/magic backwater.
    QFT...sadly.

Unless they decide to mix it up and reverse it, it'll probably be EXACTLY that.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2012
    QFT...sadly.

Unless they decide to mix it up and reverse it, it'll probably be EXACTLY that.

Well, in SO1 at least you had a REASON to be on the medieval backwater planet, and your main character was even FROM said planet, so there was actual relevance to it. SO2, 3, and 4 all used the same "stranded" plot device, which was disappointing.

If it is a new Star Ocean game, I know I'll end up picking it up in some vain hope they can recapture the charm of SO1 and 2. I'll probably be disappointed though.

Honestly though, crossing my fingers for a new IP. Square is due for one, and they could use more science fiction in their catalogue.
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
    We Apologize for the Inconvenience
    edited December 2012
    I hope if it is another SO game, that they indeed capture the charm of the first 2...which means making the game have a ton of optional stuff, with side characters requiring a return to old areas at certain points. Plus they better damn well bring back the Specialties and Super Specialties, as those made the series along with the character skills and talents.
    edited December 2012
    I hope if it is another SO game, that they indeed capture the charm of the first 2...which means making the game have a ton of optional stuff, with side characters requiring a return to old areas at certain points. Plus they better damn well bring back the Specialties and Super Specialties, as those made the series along with the character skills and talents.

In general, they really just need to focus on crafting a good story and building better non-combat gameplay and level design. The combat in SO4 was brilliant - their design skills in that area are impeccable. It's the rest that needs work.
    God's Final Message to His creation, written in thirty-foot high letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains:
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2012
    omegabyte wrote: »
    Well, in SO1 at least you had a REASON to be on the medieval backwater planet, and your main character was even FROM said planet, so there was actual relevance to it. SO2, 3, and 4 all used the same "stranded" plot device, which was disappointing.

Blue Sphere did pretty much the same thing, which makes the series 5 for 5 here >_<
    edited December 2012
    Looks like they've added a 4th word at some point: Ambition.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited December 2012
    Shaymin was pretty much right about the TWEWY countdown, and I know I'm not getting my hopes up again.

That said, if it is a new Star Ocean, I'd be pretty happy about it. Many people are down on 3 and especially 4, but to be honest I liked them both, particularly 3 which was a stellar game even with that twist. All an SO5 really needs to be a step up from 4 is a less stupid plot, more likable characters, and the removal of the bonus board in favor of previous character customization options.
    edited December 2012
    ChickenGod wrote: »
    Shaymin was pretty much right about the TWEWY countdown, and I know I'm not getting my hopes up again.

That said, if it is a new Star Ocean, I'd be pretty happy about it. Many people are down on 3 and especially 4, but to be honest I liked them both, particularly 3 which was a stellar game even with that twist. All an SO5 really needs to be a step up from 4 is a less stupid plot, more likable characters, and the removal of the bonus board in favor of previous character customization options.

Their level design needs a lot of work too. SO4's areas were massive open spaces with almost nothing in them, it was pretty pointless. They need to add hidden dungeons and scatter more treasure, esp. treasure that's more interesting than finding a berry bush :-\ Some puzzles or other interaction with the environment would go a long way as well.
  • TyphoTypho Knight Errant Full Members
    edited December 2012
    omegabyte wrote: »
    Their level design needs a lot of work too. SO4's areas were massive open spaces with almost nothing in them, it was pretty pointless. They need to add hidden dungeons and scatter more treasure, esp. treasure that's more interesting than finding a berry bush :-\ Some puzzles or other interaction with the environment would go a long way as well.

This is what killed it for me. I'm big on exploring everything, and SO4 seemed to punish you for it. "Haha you ran all the way around that for a berry bush and a dead end."

The minute where a game makes it pointless to want to explore its world it gets a lot less fun for me.
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    SO3's invention system killed it for me. Way too much randomness, punishment of experimentation, way to expensive, and frankly much of it was entirely nonsensical. Wwe created this item but we can't remember how we did it so you'll have to try again and we may randomly do it again. I'm going to work on an item but I won't tell you what I'm working on until it's done, and if I fail you lose all your money and also have no idea what the target was. I can have other inventors working on the same item but they will continually drain your cash until you're broke. It goes on.
    edited December 2012
    That's what helped kill my liking of SO3 too. Especially since my first SO game was 2nd Story, where the inventing and all that was faster, only required items, and you could easily reload to try again to make sure you're making what you want to make. Plus those talents, skills, etc were far better in SO2. Not to mention the story never seemed to drag on an on with a sickening amount of linear progression...
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    I didn't like SO2 or 3, and I skipped 1 and 4 entirely. But even I want this to be Star Ocean 5. Because darnit, we need more console RPGs and, who knows, maybe tri-Ace will hire someone that knows how to write.

But we all know what this really is:
    Shaymin wrote: »
    In before, during and after GREE social iOS game.
    edited December 2012
    Because darnit, we need more console RPGs and, who knows, maybe tri-Ace will hire someone that knows how to write.

That's the thing...they do have some talented writers over there, but it's like all of the best elements of their development team get cycled around or something. You will occasionally see a game with a great story, or great graphics, or (usually) great battle system, but rarely all three at once.
    edited December 2012
    Cidolfas wrote: »
    SO3's invention system killed it for me. Way too much randomness, punishment of experimentation, way to expensive, and frankly much of it was entirely nonsensical. Wwe created this item but we can't remember how we did it so you'll have to try again and we may randomly do it again. I'm going to work on an item but I won't tell you what I'm working on until it's done, and if I fail you lose all your money and also have no idea what the target was. I can have other inventors working on the same item but they will continually drain your cash until you're broke. It goes on.

Once you actually understand how SO3's crafting system works... it's even worse :D

SO3 is probably the only game I've ever played that I honestly think might be unbeatable without a guide. That crafting system is stupidly obfuscated, but you NEED it to get past a certain section of the game. Without a crafting-based damage upgrade at a certain point, it's impossible to kill anything.
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited December 2012
    I never used crafting and beat SO3. =o

Well except for the bonus dungeons.

And SO4 doesn't really have a "stranded" theme. The only planet you are stranded on is the very first and kinda the Earth and both are not medieval planets. I think SO4 fixed the feeling that you're not playing a space game. In it you really feel like you are out there in space and explore planets no human has ever set foot on before. In SO2 and SO3 you indeed feel more like in a medieval game, though! At least for the first 20 hours.
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    So they added the word Banderia which means flag, This is obvious now that its an epic star galaxy capture the flag browser game
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited December 2012
    Only 20 minutes left... Idk I smell dissapointment.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
    edited December 2012
    And.... drumroll please!

*ratatatatatatatatatatatatata!*

Nothing happened.

And the Twitters tweated.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2012
    Ah Twitter, it's more entertaining than the page :)
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    http://stargalaxy.jp/

ITS A *&%$#ING BROWSER GAME LOL *&^% YOU SQUARE ENIX
  • TyphoTypho Knight Errant Full Members
    edited December 2012
    Welp......
    edited December 2012
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited December 2012
    Among those who saw this coming were Helen Keller, the Pinball Wizard, and a Dark'd Final Fantasy VI character.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2012
    SE is the best troll, ever.