If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Star Ocean 5 confirmed! (This was the "Star Ocean, is this you?" thread.)

Comments

• LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited December 2012
    Massive Dissapointment........
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    you should expect these things from SE by now, i mean just this year look at all the jokes they have had countdowns for
    December 12 - Star Galaxy for browsers
    August 20 - iOS port of TWEWY + Arrange Album
    May 18 - DvsD for browsers(?)
    May 1 - Otome title for iOS/Android
    March 23 - Crystal Conquest for browsers
    edited December 2012
    Well I guess they will keep the tradition of making 1 Star Ocean per c
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    Can't say it didn't work.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited December 2012
    Paws wrote: »
    SE is the best troll, ever.
    Quoted for truth.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited December 2012
    There won't be another Star Ocean game I told you so often already but you don't believe me. =3
    edited December 2012
    Maybe not from Squeenix, but I can see a more desperate publisher giving the franchise another chance (Resonance did okay for Sega, unless Square refuses to give up the IP). Perfect candidate for the DS, like many has-been RPG's before it.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2012
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    Maybe not from Squeenix, but I can see a more desperate publisher giving the franchise another chance (Resonance did okay for Sega, unless Square refuses to give up the IP). Perfect candidate for the DS, like many has-been RPG's before it.

As far as I can determine, the franchise is owned by Square Enix at least according to wikipedia (they don't have a source on that as far as I can see). That said, based on what I've heard about the director of the last Star Ocean, I don't think there's much interest on tri-Aces part to do more with the franchise.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • hristhrist New Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    This new Star Ocean game looks awesome, I really love the franchise, I've played most of them, I still need to play the newest one and the first one but two and three was fun.
    http://www.roleplayingamer.com RPG Webcomic Series | http://www.temporaltrek.com Temporal Star Trek Webcomic | http://www.gamerdater.com RPG Video Game Dating
  • ScarScar Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    Star Galaxy? The hell...
  • TyphoTypho Knight Errant Full Members
    edited December 2012
    hrist wrote: »
    This new Star Ocean game looks awesome, I really love the franchise, I've played most of them, I still need to play the newest one and the first one but two and three was fun.

Except this is Star "Galaxy" not Star Ocean. And it's a browser game.
    edited December 2012
    That said, based on what I've heard about the director of the last Star Ocean, I don't think there's much interest on tri-Aces part to do more with the franchise.

Oh, I'm aware of that, but if someone else wants the IP enough to buy it, they may be able to convince Tri-Ace to make another one. Or just use a different studio.

Not that I expect Sega or anyone else to buy the IP. Or think it will happen any time soon. Or ever. Hey, don't kill my dreams!
    edited December 2012
    I'm not even sure what tri-Ace is doing at all. I heard they are making two portable games, but otherwise there was no info about them at all.

Their English news reads like this:
    # [Aug. 2, 2012]
    Relocated company from Ooi, Shinagawa-ku to Konan, Minato-ku
    # [Jun. 2, 2011]
    Updated Recruitment
    # [Dec. 24, 2009]
    Updated Products Info
    For 3 years no product info update.
    Also they were strongly looking for game designers with innovative ideas. Sounds like they want to do more unique stuff rather than continueing old series.
  • CaostotaleCaostotale Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    I'm not even sure what tri-Ace is doing at all. I heard they are making two portable games, but otherwise there was no info about them at all.

This is one of them...
    http://gematsu.com/2012/12/frontier-gate-announced-for-psp
    edited December 2012
    I'm guessing they were working on a new engine.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited December 2012
    For 3 years no product info update.
    This is why god invented GameFAQs.
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/company/13273.html

Not mentioned is their co-development of FFXIII-2 and current "port plus+ or whatever it is of Frontier Gate.
  • mooserockamooserocka New Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Its star galaxy not star ocean?
    edited January 2013
    Yes. (10chars)
  • LegendaryZoltanLegendaryZoltan Releaser of Heavy Metal Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Whoa whoa whoa!!! They helped make FF13-2? What did they do on it?

Star Ocean 4 has great level design. I don't see why people dislike it. The main reason I hear is that there are big spaces with no enemies or treasures but that's EXACTLY what a game with planetary exploration needs. Allowing the player to focus solely on the environments helps realize the effect of wandering and exploring unknown planets. This is one of the very few games where the camera can actually be zoomed out far enough to see all around the character; something I ALWAYS want in games.

I also disagree that Star Ocean 4 penalizes you for exploration. Every game has dead ends and I don't feel Star Ocean 4 has more than others. I felt totally rewarded when I found that you actually get experience just for finding a treasure chest. That was AWESOME! Plus, there are harvest points scattered throughout the map. Even when it is a dead end, there are no random battles so I don't think we should feel penalized every time there's no treasure. There's also a huge map you can check to see if there are treasure chests before you even go that far.

I was satisfied enough with Star Ocean 4 (I just wish it had the SO3 soundtrack) that I don't need a new one. I'd like a new Valkyrie Profile game or a brand new title from them but it has to be on a home console. Hopefully, Beyond the Labyrinth is a good game for Japanese players, though. :)
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    According to a Tri-Ace staffer, they worked on "game design, art and programming".
    (source)
    Star Ocean 4 has great level design. I don't see why people dislike it. The main reason I hear is that there are big spaces with no enemies or treasures but that's EXACTLY what a game with planetary exploration needs. Allowing the player to focus solely on the environments helps realize the effect of wandering and exploring unknown planets. This is one of the very few games where the camera can actually be zoomed out far enough to see all around the character; something I ALWAYS want in games.

I felt totally rewarded when I found that you actually get experience just for finding a treasure chest. That was AWESOME! Plus, there are harvest points scattered throughout the map. Even when it is a dead end, there are no random battles so I don't think we should feel penalized every time there's no treasure. There's also a huge map you can check to see if there are treasure chests before you even go that far.
    Careful... your positive spin on this is making me want to play the game. :p
    edited January 2013

I also disagree that Star Ocean 4 penalizes you for exploration. Every game has dead ends and I don't feel Star Ocean 4 has more than others. I felt totally rewarded when I found that you actually get experience just for finding a treasure chest. That was AWESOME! Plus, there are harvest points scattered throughout the map. Even when it is a dead end, there are no random battles so I don't think we should feel penalized every time there's no treasure. There's also a huge map you can check to see if there are treasure chests before you even go that far.

I was satisfied enough with Star Ocean 4 (I just wish it had the SO3 soundtrack) that I don't need a new one. I'd like a new Valkyrie Profile game or a brand new title from them but it has to be on a home console. Hopefully, Beyond the Labyrinth is a good game for Japanese players, though. :)
    The bland characters and the flaw of the item creation. Those are the game's main negs.
  • KaiserKaiser A smooth flow of thought Full Members
    edited January 2013
    the characters may be cliche, but atleast they were not hope and vanille.
    Trance Radiance Infinity

edited January 2013
    Yeah, the characters were cheesy but they were fun cheesy. The only lame character eventually leaves the party and is replaced by a total badarse, plus you get to kick the quitter's butt later on.

I actually respected Hope's growth even if he does start out as a dumb kid, but that's when I expected a more mature and experienced Hope to take over as the leader in FF13-2. When I found out they decided to replace him, I just became disappointed. Vanille is just plain annoying.
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited July 2013
    thought i would just hijack this thead to say that Star ocean is officially dead

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/20/star-ocean-material-trader-is-social-card-based-rpg/

I really hate Square Enix
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited July 2013
    thought i would just hijack this thead to say that Star ocean is officially dead

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/20/star-ocean-material-trader-is-social-card-based-rpg/

I really hate Square Enix

Seriously, no need to be so melodramatic. Sure it is not a great use of the franchise but it isnt dead. At least they are paying some attention to it still, that is a good sign.
    edited July 2013
    If anything, it sounds like the franchise still has enough going for it or else Square wouldn't have done anything.

Of course, Square's annoying habit of loving the mobile market warrants some hate.
    edited July 2013
    You think Square-Enix has negative influence on tri-Ace?
    edited July 2013
    You think Square-Enix has negative influence on tri-Ace?

Square is a bad influence on Enix and all their associates, including Tri-Ace. The merger was the worst possible thing Enix could have done to themselves. I'm shocked at how much the dominate company in the merger is letting the small fry run things. Run them right into the ground, like they did to themselves in the late 90s before they needed to be bailed out by Enix.
  • omegabyteomegabyte Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2013
    smacd wrote: »
    Square is a bad influence on Enix and all their associates, including Tri-Ace. The merger was the worst possible thing Enix could have done to themselves. I'm shocked at how much the dominate company in the merger is letting the small fry run things. Run them right into the ground, like they did to themselves in the late 90s before they needed to be bailed out by Enix.

You are aware that none of their games since SO4 have been published by Square Enix (apart from FFXIII-2, which they only had a hand in, it wasn't only theirs)?

Resonance of Fate was published by SEGA, Beyond the Labyrinth (Japan only) was Konami. They had another one which was also Japan only, but I don't recall what it was called. I'm pretty certain that it was also not published by Square Enix.
    Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...
    edited July 2013
    Yes, I'm aware. I'm actually glad that Tri-Ace is getting away from the modern Square-Enix. I didn't really care for Resonance of Fate, but I do hope that Tri-Ace does well going forward.