If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

nVidia Project Shield: New Handheld Console

flamethrowerflamethrower MemberFull Members
edited August 2013 in Miscellaneous Gaming
nVidia yesterday announced that they are developing a new handheld console.
More info here.
Discuss.

Seems similar to Ouya: Cheap and crappy and plays Android games. But in addition to the Android games, it plays "Shield" games which use the dedicated video processor.

Look and feel are a bit strange. nVidia says you will be able to use it as a wireless PC game controller in addition to a portable game console.

Comments

• TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I like how it's a controller with a screen built into it. I never liked the button configurations of the handhelds.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited January 2013
    Unless you can move the screen's position, I can only say UGHHHH. I won't be able to play such a thing unless I can change how the screen is.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I'm pretty sure you can rotate the screen 180 degrees (like you can with the DS screen) and that's it.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited January 2013
    I'm pretty sure you can rotate the screen 180 degrees (like you can with the DS screen) and that's it.
    Good, because I'm so used to being able to look down at the screen while pressing the buttons that I'd have to keep the screen facing directly up at me. Unless of course they allowed the screen to be away from you with some method, at which point then I'd just be playing on the laptop. XD
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited January 2013
    That is one fat battery. Either that thing devours energy, or you can charge it once wear the device out before it fully discharges.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I'm not sure how comfortable I would be playing with this system. I tend to hold my console controllers close to my lap while I hold my handhelds more at shoulder-level.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I don't know unless it's the PC's answer to the wiiu controler. There's already too much shovelware on android already
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
    edited January 2013
    Looks like it has a computer software component that pushes PC games through WiFi to the Shield. Ie. it's best software requires you to be fairly close to the computer you are pulling it from. Not very portable. However, it will allow you to push that content onto an HDMI equipped TV. They are also working on some kind of cloud system to push games to the device, so there should be plenty to play. The fact that it is Android based does offer one big advantage though. Cost of game development will go down because of the open sourced nature of Android.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    No, it has its own content. It is a handheld game console.

It can be used in a remote mode if you have a lot of hardware people are not likely to have (high-end PC with nVidia graphics card). Meaning you play a game running on the PC in your shield. Yes, this is not a portable experience. The shield games run using the Tegra 4 and dedicated onboard graphics processor and run off the microSD storage onboard.

I believe the PC game controller function will work with only a bluetooth receiver. Still, a dedicated game controller seems better for this as there's no screen to get in the way and they are quite cheap ($20).
    edited January 2013
    Not completely sure how they will get the Shield specific software on the device, but I would imagine that's what their new cloud service is for. Having a micro SD card hold games doesn't seem like the most practical way to have games on there considering the fail rate for flash media that are heavily used. Ironically, I'm saying this on a computer being run off of Ubuntu on a USB stick.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    Is this the "Year of the Game Console?"

We have the Ouya and Shield releasing this year.
    We have probable announcements from Sony and Microsoft of new consoles at some point this year.
    We just had the Wii U release in December.
    Also there is the GameStick (Kickstarter), slated for April 2014 release, a TV console like Ouya. Tagline: Even cheaper and more crappy than Ouya! Okay, not really, but you get the idea.
    edited January 2013
    And possibly the Steambox from Valve. There are also rumours about EA wanting to get involved and Apple making a huge push next year.

Yeah, I agree. Year of the Console.

*Check that: DEFINITELY a new console from Valve.
  • xocolatlxocolatl Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Everyone sees console booming and they want to get in--just like they did with MMORPGs, and just like they did back before the 80s crash.
    I wonder who'll survive this crash. Would be interesting to see nVidea crash and burn, no? (Not that this thing would drag down their entire company..but it could be a good chance for some investment in a year when Shield dies, since they still have the pc gfx card thing monopolized).
  • TyphoTypho Knight Errant Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Yeah it will be interesting to see how this year all shakes out. So many new players to the industry, and with the history of veteran console-makers' demise, we are in for a fight this gen. With all these players, the market is going to be saturated.
    edited July 2013
    So apparently this thing is out. Here is a review. This page of the review was interesting. Remember the writers on this website are not used to covering videogames; check out their comments on game pricing in the Vita comparison section.
    edited July 2013
    Yeah...all those "I'd rather save my money for a PS4/x1" comments pretty much says it all.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited July 2013
    Yeah, I may have a Nivda video card, but I ain't buying a Shield. Let Nivida stick to video cards. ^^
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited August 2013
    .....Why does this exist?
    "Back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's hilarious in modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of a FF7 remake."