If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Next Pok

OcelotOcelot is not declawedRPGamer Staff
edited January 2013 in Latest Updates
Pikachu has some excellent news for us. More Pok
Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Comments

• lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    I'ma get this and enjoy the crap right out of it! I'm thinking the water starter, but I'll get both versions and get all the starters from them! 3D! I saw swinging from a vine, what looks like rollerskates and even some legendary pokemon! eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Nintendo giving me Fire Emblem AND Pokemon this year? It's almost enough to make me think they really like my money! :D
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited January 2013
    I'm shocked at how soon these are coming out after Black/White. I thought for sure they would release remakes of Ruby and Sapphire before we even got silhouettes of generation 6 Pok
    Reincarnation, realization
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited January 2013
    Wow, it's visually impressive. But how is the story? If it has a good one I might end up finally coming back to the series. But only if it's good.
    User Database Check
    Current Month and Year: March 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: Climactic Battle
    Number of Spammers banned: An ungodly number
  • ClixClix Never Google Image Search Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Judging from screenshots of the places and fashion... I think we are Poke-France this time.

But, yeah, a lot of predicted late 2013 for a new game for Japan and early 2014 for us... They've never done joint release, so this is pretty cool.

I love foxes, so Fennekin will be my starter. I just hope it doesn't become Fire/Fighting. If it does, Gamefreak is outright trolling at this point.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    Strawberry Eggs said:
    It will only be about two for the last gen and the upcoming one.
    Three years, Strawberry. Late Sept. 2010 to October 2013. I'm surprised that the international release will follow so quickly, though.
    edited January 2013
    ^ I was going by the North American release date of Black/White (it came out in March 2011). It makes more sense to go by Japanese releases, though, especially these game will have a near simultaneous internation release. Three years isn't bad. I suppose it just feels so soon after the previous generation.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    I honestly expected the game to come out this year or early next year since it was obvious they were working on 3D models of everything since the original Pokedex app on the 3DS. I just didn't think it would be coming out in North America at the same time. Which is awesome.

Also, Emboar was an awesome fire pig. I wonder how Firefox will compare? :D :p

edit- Just thought of this but am I the only one still not done with B/W2?
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    The visual design reminds me of Golden Sun: Dark Dawn. I think this is the 3D-style pokemon game everyone's been clamoring for since the N64 :D
    Also, Emboar was an awesome fire pig. I wonder how Firefox will compare?
    I am totally naming mine Mozilla
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited January 2013
    lolwhoops said:
    Also, Emboar was an awesome fire pig. I wonder how Firefox will compare? :D :p
    So many jokes to be made, so little time. It may encounter an error with Windows, it may become Frozen, etc.
    User Database Check
    Current Month and Year: March 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: Climactic Battle
    Number of Spammers banned: An ungodly number
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited January 2013
    Hmm, I kind of have mixed feelings on X/Y. On the one hand, like lots of you guys are saying, the few Pokemon we have seen do look pretty good when compared to their Gen 5 counterparts. Hopefully give off the same vibe. The 3D visuals look crisp and natural for the series too. The trailer makes things look fresh and fun, but will they be?

However, I do think its too soon for yet another Pokemon game. Yeah, I know I'm saying this and will still end up getting X/Y because there will be nothing else out, but I know the formula to these games have grown stale for me. Looking at the starters, there's already a fire type fox Pokemon, and a water type frog Pokemon in Vulpix and Toxicroak/Politoed respectively. Even though these starters do look nice, it shows that they are still struggling to find new material. It'd also be nice if some of the inconveniences found in past games like content limited to specific days/times of the week gets removed.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
    edited January 2013
    Fennekin seems to be based specifically on the Fennec fox while Vulpix/Ninetales are based on the Japanese legend of long-lived supernatural foxes (Kitsune). I'd like to see to see it evolve into a fiery coyote or wolf myself. Also, Croagunk and Toxicroak are Poison/Fighting types.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Going by US releases, the jump from RBY -> GSC was actually less (two years + a month). So it's not unprecedented, especially when some say BW2 had no business being on 2DS to begin with. (Note: I'm not in this category.)
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
  • bain_nickbain_nick Be Water my friend Full Members
    edited January 2013
    ChickenGod said:
    Hmm, I kind of have mixed feelings on X/Y. On the one hand, like lots of you guys are saying, the few Pokemon we have seen do look pretty good when compared to their Gen 5 counterparts. Hopefully give off the same vibe. The 3D visuals look crisp and natural for the series too. The trailer makes things look fresh and fun, but will they be?

However, I do think its too soon for yet another Pokemon game. Yeah, I know I'm saying this and will still end up getting X/Y because there will be nothing else out, but I know the formula to these games have grown stale for me. Looking at the starters, there's already a fire type fox Pokemon, and a water type frog Pokemon in Vulpix and Toxicroak/Politoed respectively. Even though these starters do look nice, it shows that they are still struggling to find new material. It'd also be nice if some of the inconveniences found in past games like content limited to specific days/times of the week gets removed.
    Yet they continue to ignore most of Australia's wildlife, sadly enough. Kanghaskahn and arguably the crocodile pokemon misses out on a lot of the unique animals, and dreamtime stories behind them that Australia can provide.
    http://melodysheep.bandcamp.com/track/be-water-my-friend-bruce-lee (Youtube video been taken down soooo)
    Steam: bain_nick Add me, maybe we can play something together.
    League of Legends: NA Server: Bainick
    The problem with HM/RF games for me, is the opposite of my issues in real life.
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    This will have to be a 2014 purchase for me, but I'm excited for it! Fennekin is downright adorable.
  • imercenaryimercenary Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    So many jokes to be made, so little time. It may encounter an error with Windows, it may become Frozen, etc.
    Its super effective against the butterfly though.
    edited January 2013
    bain_nick said:
    Yet they continue to ignore most of Australia's wildlife, sadly enough. Kanghaskahn and arguably the crocodile pokemon misses out on a lot of the unique animals, and dreamtime stories behind them that Australia can provide.
    Agreed, but maybe this will be the generation that we see some new animals. It's a bit unfair to judge the entire pokedex based on the first 3 that we've seen. There are gonna be 143 more, after all (not counting the evolutions of the first 3).
    This will have to be a 2014 purchase for me, but I'm excited for it! Fennekin is downright adorable.
    First time I've actually liked one of the fire starters since Cyndaquil :) Really, really happy about that.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited January 2013
    Strawberry Eggs said:
    Fennekin seems to be based specifically on the Fennec fox while Vulpix/Ninetales are based on the Japanese legend of long-lived supernatural foxes (Kitsune). I'd like to see to see it evolve into a fiery coyote or wolf myself. Also, Croagunk and Toxicroak are Poison/Fighting types.
    You're right that there's some ground to defend the originality of these Pokemon on, Strawberry. But to me, that doesn't change the fact that they are another Fire Fox and Water Frog. If we're at the point that they we need to include multiple types of the same species, could we at least use a different initial typing? A Water Fox and Fire Frog would be welcome, for example. Don't get me wrong, these starters look quite appealing. Like Bain says, its just the principle of the matter that they could have differing wildlife interpretations (or even something totally unique) and typings as opposed to something that has already been done.

My mistake on Toxicroak, I thought it was Water/Poison. Looks like I need to brush up on the Pokedex! :p
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    Three years is a pretty reasonable development time, but I'm actually willing to bet that they've been working on X/Y for even longer. They probably started as soon as they got the 3DS dev kits, and B/W was developed in the meantime because they knew it would take a while to get the 3DS version out.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • volvagiavolvagia New Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    aside from fennekin i really dont like the other starters, (though the dark eagle i assume "Y" and the rainbow deer "x" are pretty cool) 4th gen was awful, 5th gen was a little bit better but the last "cool" pokemon set came from hoenn
    edited January 2013
    I dunno, the chestnut-headed grass starter is pretty cool.
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactic's Ogre I choose u! Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I am certainly interested to see how this game unfolds.

I am along the lines that the series has grown a bit stale, with regard to story and formula. So I do hope they bring in some innovation to spice things up. The change to 3d models is certainly a step in the right direction.

I will definitely have the cute little fox as my starter, and the deer for my legendary :)
    edited January 2013
    I have to agree about Fennekin being the best Fire starter in years. I adore the Torchic line (mostly for Torchic itself and especially Blaziken), but I didn't like Chimchar and Tepig nearly as much as the three before them.

Anyway, it seems X-Stag and Y-Bird's names have been revealed, or rather their English ones (being Legendaries, their names in Japanese and other languages are likely identical or similar). They are Xerneas and Yveltal, respectively.
  • NekobasuNekobasu RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    I'm not breaking my Grass-starter-for-life streak, but I'm hoping this new chestnut guy ends up pulling an about-face-to-rad like Oshawott did.
    bain_nick said:
    If there were a platypus pokemon, I would use it regardless of type and moveset.
    edited January 2013
    I would totally go for an Electric-Poison platypus :D
  • AngelonightAngelonight Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Good bye to Generation 5, your stay was far to long. I can't wait for Gen 6. I hope it goes back to the darker tones of Gen 4. *Gasp* Yes I loved Gen 4.
    Kain: "Conscience...? You dare speak to me of conscience? Only when you have felt the full gravity of choice should you dare to question my judgment!"
    edited January 2013
    GaijinMonogatari said:
    I would totally go for an Electric-Poison platypus :D
    It could also conceivably use the water type too, though... maybe just let it learn Surf and we're good.
    Follow me on Twitter
    edited January 2013
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]69[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]70[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]71[/ATTACH]

Well, got that platypus done, at least. My original designs for Kwalump and Kwombat need to be tweaked, though.
  • NekobasuNekobasu RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    Haha! Platypulse is a tough dude.

Is Kwombat Ground/Fighting?
    edited January 2013
    That was the intent. Also, Kwalump is a drop-bear :D