If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Fire Emblem: Awakening - Preview

Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/ReviewerRPGamer Staff
edited January 2013 in Latest Updates
After a four-year slumber, Fire Emblem has risen to find itself on the Nintendo 3DS. Check inside to see what features have been dreamed up for the latest installment.

[ Preview ]

Minor edit to the article, the DS remake containing the My Unit and non-permadeath features is of the third game, not second.
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxFull Members
    edited January 2013
    Severin Mira said:
    Check inside to see what features have been dreamed up for the latest installment.
    No! You can't make me! I seen a trailer, I seen the release date, now it's time to stick my fingers in my ears, close my eyes and sing "LA LA LA LA" off key and as horribly squeaky as I can.

ps- If I do read it I'm totally still gonna act like I haven't. :|
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Someone needs to take away your sugar. You were like this for the Pokemon announcement too.
  • Private PrinnyPrivate Prinny Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Edit: *snip*

aside from that, a good preview...and the game looks promising...so now everyone with a 3DS has to buy it...to get Nintendo releasing more Fire Emblem (and also hopefully more Advance Wars) games.

I will finally buy a 3DS (XL) just for this game...still annoyed as hell @ Region Locked 3DS....should I really import a US 3DS XL? (Yeah I know this will be released in EU also but as always we usually get the short end of the stick in regards to niche RPGS/TRPGS so to prevent future desasters.....
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxFull Members
    edited January 2013
    flamethrower said:
    Someone needs to take away your sugar. You were like this for the Pokemon announcement too.
    I am way too excited to have 4 3DS RPGs in one year. Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Etrian Odyssey and SMT: Devil Summoners: Soul Hackers! It's the first time I've actually been excited to own my 3DS. :D

Not to mention I've been waiting for a new Fire Emblem for what feels like forever.

The only reason I didn't reply with a squeee is people look at me funny when I do that.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • ClixClix Never Google Image Search Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Private Prinny said:
    fixed
    ...How? Shadow Dragon does not have a My Unit; New Mystery of the Emblem introduced that concept. The author is right.

Oh.

Good news for 3DS owners! A demo for the game hits the network next week on the 17th.
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactic's Ogre I choose u! Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Woohooo can't wait!

I bought my 3ds xl as my merry christmas gift to me :)

I hope this trend of new rpg's for the 3ds continues.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited January 2013
    So very excited for this game. I can't wait!
    Reincarnation, realization
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Hopefully this game will be relatively idiot-proof, although lord knows I've been a better idiot over the years. The end of permadeath on Easy Street is going to be a godsend.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Can't wait, bought an 3DS XL as an Boxing Day present to myself. (Woo, nice big screen, so much easier on the eyes!)
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited January 2013
    To quote Reggie (for laughs), MY BODY IS READY.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Clix said:
    ...How? Shadow Dragon does not have a My Unit; New Mystery of the Emblem introduced that concept. The author is right.

Oh.

Good news for 3DS owners! A demo for the game hits the network next week on the 17th.
    Actually CLix you're wrong, FE12, the sequal to Shadow Dragon introduces the My Unit thing.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
  • ClixClix Never Google Image Search Full Members
    edited January 2013
    TheAnimeMan said:
    Actually CLix you're wrong, FE12, the sequal to Shadow Dragon introduces the My Unit thing.
    ...I said that. New Mystery of the Emblem is the sequel to Shadow Dragon. It's a remake of the third Fire Emblem. Awakenings, if anything, is technically the 11th Fire Emblem game. I've played some of New Myster; much harder than SD. I need to check if they ever finished the translation for the plot (only had menus done in my version).

P.S.: I just realized that the author actually is wrong but for a different reason. He said a remake of the second game in the series, but New Mystery is a remake of the third game--Fire Emblem Gaiden has never been touched since it came out over twenty years ago.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    This makes me wish I owned a 3DS. $$$ is tight.
    I have only one more battle to finish FE:PoR.
    I broke out the GCN on a whim.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    lolwhoops said:
    I am way too excited to have 4 3DS RPGs in one year. Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Etrian Odyssey and SMT: Devil Summoners: Soul Hackers! It's the first time I've actually been excited to own my 3DS. :D

Not to mention I've been waiting for a new Fire Emblem for what feels like forever.

The only reason I didn't reply with a squeee is people look at me funny when I do that.
    Hey depending on how things fall we could even see Shin Megami Tensei IV as well
  • Private PrinnyPrivate Prinny Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Clix said:

P.S.: I just realized that the author actually is wrong but for a different reason. He said a remake of the second game in the series, but New Mystery is a remake of the third game--Fire Emblem Gaiden has never been touched since it came out over twenty years ago.
    Me = Idiot ...can I field the lame non-native-speaker excuse here? No? Well too bad :(
    Shadow Dragon (11th FE = Remake of FE1)
    New Mystery (12th FE = Remake of FE3 (part 2) whereas part 1 was a remake of FE1)

So it would be:
    ...while the "My Unit" system from the DS remake of the third game in the series, released only in Japan, makes a return and allows players to create their own avatar character.
    but this permadeath can be turned off in Awakening, again a feature that briefly appeared previously in the DS remake of the third game in the series.
    I shouldn't complain too much as I like pretty much everything else written there.....also the Fire Emblem Series Numbering/Sequel-esque/Remake-Orgy is a whole mess on another level....its nearly as confusing as the Final Fantasy 2 = 4 and Final Fantasy 3 = 6 confusion...but more stylish ;-P
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    I blame the "Gaiden" in the second game confusing me :) I've edited the article to say third.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited January 2013
    http://gematsu.com/2013/01/fire-emblem-awakening-3ds-bundle-announced-for-u-s

Those who don't have a 3DS yet are in luck as a special bundle it's coming to America and Canada. I may get it for the blue 3DS alone.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
    edited January 2013
    I will get that. I have to, otherwise how can I state I have every NA released Fire Emblem game?
    User Database Check
    edited January 2013
    Nvm it seems the bundle only includes a digital copy pre-installed... No thanks.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
    edited January 2013
    LordKaiser said:
    Nvm it seems the bundle only includes a digital copy pre-installed... No thanks.
    Are they giving something special out with the regular version that warrants getting it over the bundle?
    User Database Check
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited January 2013
    An artbook (w/Gamestop preorder).
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
    edited January 2013
    Shaymin said:
    An artbook (w/Gamestop preorder).
    Then the physical edition isn't that worth it IMO. Then again, I don't have a 3DS, so the bundle alone makes me happy.
    User Database Check
    edited January 2013
    It really depends on the bundle price. Because it's digital only the game should be free or extremely cheap but if this cost 30 or 40 USD more then it's bad business. Japan got this same bundle with a physical copy..
    edited January 2013
    LordKaiser said:
    It really depends on the bundle price. Because it's digital only the game should be free or extremely cheap but if this cost 30 or 40 USD more then it's bad business. Japan got this same bundle with a physical copy..
    If we're lucky it'll be 10 to 20 more. But knowing how Nintendo plays...it won't be.
    User Database Check
    edited January 2013
    Here's the bundle Japan got for comparison

http://gematsu.com/2012/02/cobalt-blue-and-fire-emblem-3ds-new-bundles-coming-to-japan

Scroll all the way down till you see it.

Why everything we got have to be watered down? Regardless if it's very cheap and I where a fan of Fire Emblem I would buy both the bundle and the physical copy. In fact If I had money I would do that and keep the physical game sealed in plastic...What the hell I'm saying?
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I think the biggest mis-step with the bundle is that it won't be an XL. Now that people have the options, other than the real FE-fans out there I can't imagine why people would choose the bundle over getting an XL and buying the game separate. I wouldn't be surprised if the bundle gets lower sales than Nintendo is hoping for bringing it over here.

I'm seriously considering getting this game. There isn't much on the 3DS yet for me, and I've never played a FE game before, so I think I might grab this one and see how I like the series. Not that I have time to get hooked on yet another series, but who knows. Maybe I'll like it. I haven't played a tactical rpg since FFT ten some years ago though.
    edited January 2013
    No way in hell I'd get a XL. Too bulky.
    User Database Check
    edited January 2013
    To each their own. I picked up an XL, and while its a bit bigger than my old DS Lite, its not anywhere near unwieldy. Fits fine in my pocket, and works well for me. Have you used one outside of a store display?
    edited January 2013
    smacd said:
    To each their own. I picked up an XL, and while its a bit bigger than my old DS Lite, its not anywhere near unwieldy. Fits fine in my pocket, and works well for me. Have you used one outside of a store display?
    Nope. Nobody around here has a 3DS. Most of the people I know have Vitas.
    User Database Check
    edited January 2013
    I'll have to compare it to a Vita. I think the XL it heavier, and has a bigger height when opened, but I think that the Vita is considerably wider.

Either way though, I have a feeling that this bundle would sell better if it were an XL. I know I personally waited for the XL before ever considering a 3DS purchase.