If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Square Enix Debuts All the Bravest

OcelotOcelot is not declawedRPGamer Staff
edited January 2013 in Latest Updates
Square Enix really loves Apple devices these days. This latest iOS game may be worthy of note due to the involvement of some of TWEWY's directors and the return of the famous Active Time Battle system.
Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Comments

• Rya.ReisenderRya.Reisender Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Looks like a cheap RPG maker game that ripped FF graphics and put them randomly together lol.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    I kind of want but not sure why
  • ZeraseZerase Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Looks like it could be fun, though, I don't think it looks any less RPG Makerish than Dimensions did and if I remember correctly, you were actually interested in that game Rya.
    Zerase ^_^

Recently Finished: Suikoden II
    Currently Playing: Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem Awakening, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, Final Fantasy V

• scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactic's Ogre I choose u! Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Color me intrigued.... If I can have a massive army of ff heroes, I will definitely sink some bucks into it. I saw a few in there, Setzer, and Cloud. As long as they don't limit how many heroes can be in the party at a time :)
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Looks like a cheap RPG maker game that ripped FF graphics and put them randomly together lol.
    I think calling it an RPG Maker game gives it too much credit. I don't think it's a full blown RPG at all, just a series of battles taking place in a mash-up of classic FF settings.
    I saw a few in there, Setzer, and Cloud. As long as they don't limit how many heroes can be in the party at a time
    It sounds like the only limitation is your luck and the money it will cost you to get those characters. It sounds like the character you get is determined randomly.
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    "...you will die here and I will continue to live for eternity!"
    "I, Garland, will knock you all down!"
    There, FTFY.

Board formatting fail.
  • RalsuRalsu Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Battle system reminds me of Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes.
  • ScarScar Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Color me unimpressed. They could have done better. They should do better.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Yet another freemium game? pass. The trailer makes this look like a mess... I can't tell if you actually play this, or watch it.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited January 2013
    But Ocelot, the ATB never left FF. Also, this looks MEH to me. Plus well, 40 characters? TOO MUCH.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • ScarScar Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Stop making IOS games and focus on a 2D game for a handheld that has sprites of old and new games to the series. Make a silly plot, make it micro-manageable, fully customization-able, with nostalgic music and other Easter eggs.

IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR!
  • ultranessultraness Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Square Enix doesn't get it. All they need to do is make an old-school Final Fantasy sequel (like Megaman 9) and release it on a console or the 3DS, and I will buy it. Seriously, it wouldn't be that hard.
  • TyphoTypho Knight Errant Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Well, at this point the market is bigger on IOS, so you can't really blame them.

Unfortunately I'm on Android so I can't really participate, not that this was on my radar anyways.

It looks like they might have a team devoted to pushing out these mobile games now. Interesting, it must be a pretty solid money maker for them.

Edit: Just saw the staff list. Apparently Hiroyuki Ito co-directed. Lol.
  • sirsniffysirsniffy Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    It looks like a weird fan-made rom hack, but it looks cool. I see some familiar sprites in the trailer...Ashe, Lightning, Cloud...wonder who else will be there?
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    from what i have heard it is basically a button masher or in this case a tapping masher. On a side not there is a rumor that SE might be making a handheld console that has touch screens on all sides and all these iphone games may be testing the market for these types of games.
    edited January 2013
    Typho said:
    Well, at this point the market is bigger on IOS, so you can't really blame them.

Unfortunately I'm on Android so I can't really participate, not that this was on my radar anyways.

It looks like they might have a team devoted to pushing out these mobile games now. Interesting, it must be a pretty solid money maker for them.

Edit: Just saw the staff list. Apparently Hiroyuki Ito co-directed. Lol.
    I always find it odd that the iOS gets the focus, when the number of android users is a vastly larger share of the smartphone/tablet user-base. I hear arguments about the wide variety of hardware, but thats the same thing that PC devs have dealt with for years. Perhaps its because android users usually demand a lower price-point than the apple users that are used to paying through the nose for the same thing (in a prettier package). Still, most of it comes to android eventually now, at least from SquareEnix. And its cheaper - FF Dimensions is only $20 as a single package, which is about half the price as iOS I believe. So I wont complain too much.
  • TyphoTypho Knight Errant Full Members
    edited January 2013
    smacd said:
    Perhaps its because android users usually demand a lower price-point than the apple users that are used to paying through the nose for the same thing (in a prettier package)..
    This is pretty much what I've heard. Of course, it's all presumption at this point. The only thing we have are anecdotal theories from individual developers who say that their iOS revenue greatly exceeds Android, despite Android's greater market share.

Some people have described it as, Apple users are "more likely to pay for their apps." As if somehow Android users are opposed to the idea. Kind of like Linux vs Windows users, maybe.

Of course, the market is still relatively new. It's already more equal than, say, Mac vs. PC gaming. So maybe we will see it equalize more as time goes on.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Typho said:
    Some people have described it as, Apple users are "more likely to pay for their apps." As if somehow Android users are opposed to the idea. Kind of like Linux vs Windows users, maybe.
    Thing there is, The only way to not pay for your apps on iOS is to jailbreak your iphone or ipad, so the vast majority of people will pay instead of jailbreaking. On Android you can pretty much find them anywhere online and install and play them.
  • Iliya MoroumetzIliya Moroumetz Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Square... you're doing it wrong.... again!
    edited January 2013
    Has anyone figured out if they can have duplicates when you pay your dollar for a chance to get a new character? I have to admit, I'd find it pretty amusing if Cloud had a 1/256 chance of dropping, like most "rare items" in their games. Double laugh if he's Zodiac Spear rare.
  • imercenaryimercenary Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Typho said:
    This is pretty much what I've heard. Of course, it's all presumption at this point. The only thing we have are anecdotal theories from individual developers who say that their iOS revenue greatly exceeds Android, despite Android's greater market share.

Of course, the market is still relatively new. It's already more equal than, say, Mac vs. PC gaming. So maybe we will see it equalize more as time goes on.
    Well you have to keep in mind that the Android market is also REALLY fragmented compared to the iOS market. Theres literally over 100 smartphones (not counting things like cameras, smart TVs and MP3 players) running on "Android" which of course means that the vast majority of users don't even run the latest version (over half of all Android smartphone users use a 1 year old software version because thats what their low-end smartphones are designed for). And THATS not even taking into account hardware fragmentation.

On the iOS side, its pretty straight-forward. All you have to do is aim for the iPhone #, the lowest iOS version released for that device and tell everyone below that "tough luck, upgrade."
    edited January 2013
    imercenary said:
    Well you have to keep in mind that the Android market is also REALLY fragmented compared to the iOS market. Theres literally over 100 smartphones (not counting things like cameras, smart TVs and MP3 players) running on "Android" which of course means that the vast majority of users don't even run the latest version (over half of all Android smartphone users use a 1 year old software version because thats what their low-end smartphones are designed for). And THATS not even taking into account hardware fragmentation.

On the iOS side, its pretty straight-forward. All you have to do is aim for the iPhone #, the lowest iOS version released for that device and tell everyone below that "tough luck, upgrade."
    I've heard that argument before, but I find it to be mostly a cop out. The PC software market has been dealing with this for decades. At some point it matters in how well it works, or drivers and other issues may crop up. But for the most part, handling the stratification of hardware/software setups is pretty well understood.

If the streamlined lock-in that Apple employs with the iPhone/iPad and iOS was really better, how come the similar approach they took with the Macs hasn't made it the predominate PC gaming platform over Windows/Intel?

Perhaps it really is that Apple users are more likely to pay. I don't know what the app store on the iOS looks like, but I know with Android there is such a plethora of free games and apps, that I'm really hard pressed to actually pay for one if I can find something else for free. In 2 years, I've only paid for 4 or 5 apps.
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    edited January 2013
    smacd said:
    Has anyone figured out if they can have duplicates when you pay your dollar for a chance to get a new character? I have to admit, I'd find it pretty amusing if Cloud had a 1/256 chance of dropping, like most "rare items" in their games. Double laugh if he's Zodiac Spear rare.
    And then maybe you'll be able to swap them with people, just like some sort of Trading card game?

E.g.
    Not another Umaro!
    I don't suppose anyone cares to swap their Cloud for an Umaro? or maybe 2 even?
    No-one? I'll even throw in my 3 Prince Edwards ... Anyone? please? :*(
    O.k. maybe not that bad. There are only meant to be 35 famous characters so they can only really have the fan favourites, right?
    (But then I can't see people wanting to pay to collect that many, even if it is a unique new one each time.)

Otherwise I'm just a little disappointed that "All the Bravest" isn't the improved western-name for the Bravely Default game(/franchise?).
  • Rya.ReisenderRya.Reisender Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Zerase said:
    Looks like it could be fun, though, I don't think it looks any less RPG Makerish than Dimensions did and if I remember correctly, you were actually interested in that game Rya.
    Dimensions didn't look like an RPG Maker game imo. It had all original graphics and overall felt really well done. It's just like a new FF game in old FF quality.
    This game however is just a bunch of existing sprites from different games copied together... that's what people do when they create "My First RPG Maker Game".
    I think calling it an RPG Maker game gives it too much credit. I don't think it's a full blown RPG at all, just a series of battles taking place in a mash-up of classic FF settings.
    Not all RPG Maker games are RPGs. =p
  • SavorienSavorien Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I'll just park this here.

Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    So it's nothing but tap battles, huh? Yet another non-RPG Final Fantasy...
  • Zeboyd GamesZeboyd Games Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Speaking for ourselves, our Android revenue is downright laughable compared to our iOS revenue. It's pathetic.
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.
  • imercenaryimercenary Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    smacd said:
    I've heard that argument before, but I find it to be mostly a cop out. The PC software market has been dealing with this for decades. At some point it matters in how well it works, or drivers and other issues may crop up. But for the most part, handling the stratification of hardware/software setups is pretty well understood.

If the streamlined lock-in that Apple employs with the iPhone/iPad and iOS was really better, how come the similar approach they took with the Macs hasn't made it the predominate PC gaming platform over Windows/Intel?

Perhaps it really is that Apple users are more likely to pay. I don't know what the app store on the iOS looks like, but I know with Android there is such a plethora of free games and apps, that I'm really hard pressed to actually pay for one if I can find something else for free. In 2 years, I've only paid for 4 or 5 apps.
    Except the PC software market has learned to deal with it by simply letting hardware outpace software. A 2 year old stock PC can handle pretty much anything on the market today short of high-end enterprise software/PC games. A 2 year old iPhone/Android phone? If you limit yourself to apps that haven't been updated in the past 2 years old, sure.

Who says Macs were ever designed to challenge PCs as a gaming platform? In case you haven't noticed, Macs have been beating PCs in the audio/visual arts software division for years now.
  • MaudrenMaudren i can post! thanx paws! Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I don't even know what the hell I just watched, but it sure looked stupid.

Just give us vs13 already...
    sup?
  • Gideon ZhiGideon Zhi Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    This game is terrible. IAP for mid-battle retries (potions, essentially) which end up basically necessary for end-game bosses, IAP for extra characters, IAP for extra levels. Swipe to win. It's really awful.