If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Poll - Weapons

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
edited February 2013 in Latest Updates
What weapons do you prefer the protagonist to wield?
Fists
Swords
Staves
Lances
Bows & Arrows
Guns
Musical Instruments
Axes
Bludgeons
Throwing Weapons
Improvised Everyday Objects
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited January 2013
    It needs to fit to the character but when I really had to choose one then Swords of course. They fit best to the main character.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    I chose "Improvised Everyday Objects," not because I've played a lot of games like that, but because I'd like to play more like that.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxFull Members
    edited January 2013
    Spear and/or Halberd would be a nice option. Sword is really the default "hero" weapon, but in most games where it's mostly just for looks I play with axes.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    When I think of "improvised everyday objects," I think of street musicians who pay percussion music using trashcans and used plastic containers, that you can sometimes find on the streets of Boston.

Heroes prefer swords (TvTropes). The question in this poll asks whether gamers prefer swords as well.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited January 2013
    I would have liked a knives/daggers option myself. I suppose "throwing weapons" is close enough.
    " I think this is why aging makes humans die! "
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    Impractical Bifurcated Weapons and other unusual things. I spent more time controlling Hubert than Asbel in Tales of Graces for this reason.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Just the main character? I suppose I'm on the sword bandwagon, but hand-to-hand is nice too (go Fei!)

But I prefer at least one cast member uses a polearm and another uses a katana.
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I have no idea what weapons/weapon-type the main characters of Suikoden II and V use but those are pretty cool.
    edited January 2013
    While we're talking about it: Dual-wielding swords is coolest! I really liked Lloyd.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited January 2013
    I'd prefer if they could wield anything and everything. You know, a jack of all trades who needs training to use them perfectly.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    It has to fit the character. I'm pleasantly surprised when I see something other than a sword used.

That said, the coolest all-time "leader" weapon is the lightsabre, so...I guess I have to say swords. And just for fun, the coolest villain weapon is the scythe.
  • ScarScar Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I thought Joachim from Shadow Hearts 2 had a cool way to get new weapons.

Usually though? I like twin daggers for my main character.
  • SeraphimKittenSeraphimKitten President of Soft Paws Full Members
    edited January 2013
    How could I not vote for bows? Though most of the time in video games they end up underpowered or cumbersome, I can always hope.
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactic's Ogre I choose u! Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I voted for swords... as generally that fits the lead character in particular as a leader in battle.

I am surprised that Bow and Arrows scored so low, considering how HUGE they were last year in popularity :)

My personal preference would be magic though... a spellsword or mage knight type character is always what I like best.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Axes are number one for me but ... I'm surprised no mention of Whips on this
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    We had to limit the total number of weapon types so as not to make the poll take the entire side index. :)
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • richysoltaurichysoltau New Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I like axes or bludgeons or anythings that just crushes ze enemy
  • Endless DespairEndless Despair New Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Personally, I've always preferred swords. I would love to see some more protagonists use their fists and spears more.
    Objection! That's so fun to say.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Since my two options of choice (small balls containing deities and fire) weren't listed, I went with improvised weapons. I'm a sucker for Toadstool's Frying Pan in Mario RPG, for instance.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Magic is generally my top choice. Grenades is also acceptable. So is Giant Robot.

It's a shame the person that put up the poll chose Lance instead of Polearm. Lance is a rather narrow choice and there are some awesome polearms excluded from the list.
  • ghaleon80ghaleon80 Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I like my main protagonist to have a sword. Guess that's the JRPG brainwashing I have been succumbed to over the years haha
  • NekobasuNekobasu RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    Yikes! Was this poll hacked by the Great Northern Prosperity Consortium of Sword Manufacturers? The noble harpists and horn-playing puppeteers in the audience demand a recount!
    riulyn said:
    I have no idea what weapons/weapon-type the main characters of Suikoden II and V use but those are pretty cool.
    Suikoden II: Tonfa.
    Suikoden V: Three-section staff.
    edited January 2013
    It's not like swords are my favorite weapons, it's just that it fits best to the main hero. If the question had been "what's your favorite weapon in an RPG?" the results would most likely be different.
  • HrugnerHrugner New Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I've always been a big fan of the mace and chain/flail type thing used in Castlevania. even if it does look kinda lame. Really, any weapon that swings about like that is as awesome as it is hard to animate. Someday, the good guys of the world will grab their nun-chucks, whips and three section staves and grain flail the bejeezus out of evil. Some day...

So I guess bludgeon?
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited February 2013
    One of my favorite bits in Planescape: Torment was the "screw swords" element of it, where they just weren't going to give you the weapons you were expecting.
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited February 2013
    Historically speaking, swords were always rich man weapons and spears were the cheaper, and generally more effective weapon (or axes against tougher armor). Heck, the only historic military that I can think of that gave its standard troops swords was the Romans, but it still played second to the spear type weapon.
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited February 2013
    watcher said:
    Historically speaking, swords were always rich man weapons and spears were the cheaper, and generally more effective weapon (or axes against tougher armor). Heck, the only historic military that I can think of that gave its standard troops swords was the Romans, but it still played second to the spear type weapon.
    It's pretty ingenious design-wise if you think about it:
    1. Let's get something pointy or sharp that I can hurt someone with.
    2. Let's put it on the end of a long stick so they can't get close to me when I use it.

I'd assume many weapon types weren't practical depending on locale in history. People in ancient history wouldn't have always had ready access to metal in large quantities and not every place necessarily has a forest. I'd assume a bludgeon or farming implement was the most common weapon type, just going by the odds. Spear makes sense though.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2013
    Jitawa said:
    It's pretty ingenious design-wise if you think about it:
    1. Let's get something pointy or sharp that I can hurt someone with.
    2. Let's put it on the end of a long stick so they can't get close to me when I use it.

I'd assume many weapon types weren't practical depending on locale in history. People in ancient history wouldn't have always had ready access to metal in large quantities and not every place necessarily has a forest. I'd assume a bludgeon or farming implement was the most common weapon type, just going by the odds. Spear makes sense though.
    As far as militaries go, spears were definitely the most common. Farming implements and bludgeons and the like were probably more common in rebellions.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited February 2013
    I'd assume a bludgeon or farming implement was the most common weapon type, just going by the odds.
    Maces and hammers became much more widespread during the Middle Ages as high quality armor became more common. A good shot from a hammer will break your bones no matter how much armor you wear.