If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Star Wars: Episode VII News and Rumors

Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_oFull Members
edited April 2014 in Entertainment
I know, I know, the Disney bought Lucasfilm for 4 billion has kind of acted as the goto thread for Star Wars VII, but I also figured that we would need a dedicated thread once we started getting more concrete information than the rumors and vague info from Lucasfilm. So why now? Well, SW7 may now have it's director. Multiple sources are reporting that Lucasfilm has tapped J.J. Abrams to helm the new Star Wars movie.

Here's the original story according to the Wrap.

Apparently Kathleen Kennedy lead the charge on getting Abrams, but also considered Ben Affleck for the position. Since J.J. Abrams is finishing up Star Trek: Into the Darkness and Disney is looking at a 2015 release, he will be pressed to work quickly with screen writer Michael Ardnt to get the screen play together.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
AquilaHawk on Battle.Net: Currently playing Starcraft II

Comments

• TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Ack! Not Abrams! He's too technical and science-y. I don't really believe it anyway. Sounds like he already has too many things on his plate, and there may be conflicts of interest. He's already said he doesn't really want to do it.

Ben Affleck...huh. You know what? If you were shooting for a darker tone, maybe taking the Force Unleashed route, it might work, but then he tends to do better with lower budget movies. It seems like Affleck is only in his element when he's responsible for the entire project.

Honestly, I think Peter Jackson is the kind of director you'd want to shoot for. He's got the whole epic fantasy thing down. Or someone like James Cameron. He tends to strike a perfect balance between science and fantasy.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited January 2013
    r04wFUD.png
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Lol. I don't mind Affleck really, but Abrams? Just you wait, midichlorians will be revealed as a secret government experiment gone awry.
  • Aquila HawkAquila Hawk O_o Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Ok, little late on this, but it is official. J.J. Abrams will be directing Star Wars VII. Prepare for the Star Wars galaxy to be a metaphor for the twinkle in the eye of a cat owned by a CIA cryptozoologist.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited January 2013
    I hope he can hold himself back from destroying the series.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited January 2013
    Nah, no need. George Lucas did that in 1997.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    Looks like the Star Wars Universe is getting bigger. Alternatively, Disney is milking their new cow for everything it's worth. Two more spin-off movies are being set in the Star Wars Universe. Not sure what they will have in store for the two movies, but they are both planned to be released after SW7. Also, one of them is being penned by Lawrence Kasdan, the screen writer for the Empire Strikes Back.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    Looks like the Star Wars Universe is getting bigger. Alternatively, Disney is milking their new cow for everything it's worth. Two more spin-off movies are being set in the Star Wars Universe. Not sure what they will have in store for the two movies, but they are both planned to be released after SW7. Also, one of them is being penned by Lawrence Kasdan, the screen writer for the Empire Strikes Back.
    This knowledge shall be known across the fanbase as "A New Hope".
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited February 2013
    The hope gets bigger. According to Entertainment Weekly, the two movies will be focused on Han Solo and Boba Fett. The Han Solo movie would take place before "A New Hope", and the Boba Fett movie would either take place between ANH and ESB, or between ESB and RoJ.

What would the Han Solo story entail? Who knows, but BuzzFeed put together a list of things they would like to see if the movie is based even partially on EU stories.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    Looks like we have some casting news on the SW7 front. Apparently, Mark Hamil is about ready to say "Luke, I am you!". According to the article, Lucasfilms has been in talks with Mark Hamil, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford on their potential role reprisals in Star Wars 7. This shouldn't be too surprising as George Lucas actually met with the three over the summer before the merger with Disney was announced. Harrison Ford has previously shown interest in reprising his role as Han Solo. The caveat here is that if any of them actually turn down their roles, their respective character will be written out of the script. As far as I can tell, this only affects SW7 and not the two spin off movies. Ergo, we should still see a new Han Solo, although a young Han Solo.

Oh, and just for poops and giggles, William Shatner wants to be in SW7. However, he probably should have been a little more diplomatic in asking J.J. Abrams.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    He can be on the new Jedi council.
    edited February 2013
    Essentially, yes. If they go by, or at least pay homage to, the extended universe, Luke's role would diminish from the role of the adventurer to the sage teacher. Also considering the little slip up by Huffington Post about the Mayan ruins used in A New Hope during a story on the 2012 apocalypse (we survived it! Apophis, your next!), and how quickly they walked it back, I wouldn't be surprised if we see Yavin 4 again either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    I'd prefer Carrie Fisher wasn't in the new movie mainly because I don't see how a character designed to represent the rebellion can apply to a "new beginnings" kind of movie. I also don't want to see Harrison Ford mainly because I think he has been awful in recent movies. It's like he has no energy and Han Solo is a bit of an energetic role. Didn't mind him in Cowboys and Aliens, but that's because the character was a decent match.
    They could be included in cameos though.

And I don't see why they can't use Shatner. He's better used in a more comedic role, but he's not half-bad as a voice actor either. Maybe he can do a droid, or just have him appear as a minor character. That said, I'd prefer Abrams uses the actors he feels are best for his movie. That's what they did for the first movies and it worked out great, so that method should be paramount to everything else. It would be nice to see the old faces, but not if it would weaken the movie.
    edited February 2013
    Actually, since SW7 is supposed to take place decades after Return of the Jedi, an older and less energetic Han Solo makes a lot of sense. As for Leia, there is a shift. Remember that the original trilogy was about a revolution to overthrow an tyrannical imperial dictatorship. Ie, they had to build a government. Since Star Wars 4-6 were basically an allegory for the American Revolution, then the leaders in the rebellion would logically follow in their American Revolution counterpart's path? That would mean the political leaders of the rebellion would translate into the framers of the new galactic government. As Senator Leia Organa was the last Senator of Alderaan, she would count as a political leader. I also don't think they will be the most important characters in the new movies, but will act as both a link to the past and as a framework to help advance the plot. The new movies would likely be about the next generation of Skywalkers. I'm not basing this so much on what I hope they take out of EU, but on George Lucas' own comments about the next generation of Skywalkers including a young female Skywalker.
    And I don't see why they can't use Shatner. He's better used in a more comedic role, but he's not half-bad as a voice actor either.

He could be Chewbacca's translator! XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    Actually, since SW7 is supposed to take place decades after Return of the Jedi, an older and less energetic Han Solo makes a lot of sense. As for Leia, there is a shift.

My issue isn't so much about whether it could work, because it can work, but more with the actors themselves. If they're background characters, sure, but Ford has already messed up one beloved character of the silverscreen. I'd rather not see him mess up an even better one.
    He could be Chewbacca's translator! XD

Isn't Chewbacca officially dead?
    edited February 2013
    If SW7 takes place 20 years ABY (after battle of Yavin), then no.
    He dies 25 ABY when crushed under a moon in the New Jedi Order.
    And that is even if they maintain the EU storyline. Then again, the New Jedi Order books are my morning line favorite for an EU series making it to the silver screen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    Crushed under a moon? Wow. Guess a convenient headshot isn't enough for a fan favourite. They've got to be killed on a celestial level.
    edited February 2013
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    Crushed under a moon? Wow. Guess a convenient headshot isn't enough for a fan favourite. They've got to be killed on a celestial level.
    Colony Drop, IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE!
    edited February 2013
    Colony Drop, IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO BE SURE!

Well, he was a walking shag carpet version of Chuck Norris, so what were they supposed to do. Hell, he tried to fight the moon as it was crashing into him. Well, he growled at it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited February 2013
    I want them to make a movie about the Jedi Academy sexual abuse scandal.
    edited February 2013
    "Touched by the force, you were!"
    edited March 2013
    Yay! I'm posting here! You know what that means, new buzz. Apparently, this time it comes by way of George Lucas' diarrhea mouth. The story here, reports that George Lucas has confirmed that Mark Hamil, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford have all signed on. Or at the very least, are in the final stages of negotiations. Not really new news, but this is a rather high level confirmation to the rumors of their return.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    THIS PLEASES ME. Especially Mark Hamil and Harrison Ford, as I can't get enough of them.
    edited April 2013
    professor-farnsworth1.png

Good news everyone! There is actually a trickle of news on the SW7 front. It's not much, and it doesn't necessarily mean anything, but Disney has been springing for a personal trainer for Carrie Fisher.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2013
    Sooooo, Mark Hamill took part in a Q&A session during a Star Wars Day showing of Return of the Jedi. Not too many tidbits, but he did get the sense that his, Carrie Fisher's, and Harrison Ford's presence in SW7 is to be a kind of torch passing. Also, he has not read any of the EU material, but kind of wished Mara Jade was in the original trilogy. As he put it, "That would have been nice if they had thought of that when I was actually involved! You know, because it's the ultimate good news/bad news joke. The good news is there's an attractive woman in the universe, only one, the bad news is she's your sister."

I don't know what's more amusing in the non-SW7 news. That Mark Hamill believed Star Wars would be a cult hit shown in midnight theaters filled with the stench of weed, or that he was genuinely hurt by having cut off the wampa's arm. Oh wait, sorry, this wins.
    What's really messing with my brain is that a few minutes later, Hamill engaged me in a brief conversation about Man of Steel and started wondering out loud why all the superheroes are played by foreign actors, what that means about American actors, etc. It didn't occur to me until about 30 minutes later that I actually got to hear the Joker complain about Superman and Batman
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2013
    Had to post this here, some of you surely have seen it (it's from March):
    http://kotaku.com/a-brilliant-poster-for-the-new-star-wars-movie-starrin-459687188
    It's a wonderful piece of artwork.

Also, I found an excellent user comment on that page that I'd like to share:
    Sigh. It's so sad to keep reading articles/comments about how old the original cast is now.

I mean, did folks complain when they heard Alec Guinness of Bridge on the River Kwai fame was going to play Obi Wan? Ohhh nooo! But he's soooooooo old looking now, how will the movie be enjoyable.

That's just life folks. It's totally normal.
    I totally had the exact same thought about Guinness.

Honestly, the original cast returning is really the best news about this new trilogy (or whatever it ends up becoming). Acting is not a talent that magically degrades over time; nor is composing or writing or painting or whatever. The artist's own tastes and goals can and do evolve, but they don't become somehow "worse". What people are really stuck on is physical appearance. Sadly our current media and consumer culture happily spreads youth/beauty tunnel-vision like a plague, at least in the developed world. It's veiled ageism.

Over the last year I've been watching a lot of older television series and films; and by older I mean 50s- early 60s. I have noticed how featured actors (both in main and supporting roles) tend to be on average older than what I'm used to seeing nowadays. What's up with that? Am I just imagining things?

In any event, I hope to see the original cast occupy large roles and not merely cameos. And I also hope that none of them will have to stand in front of a green screen.
    edited July 2013
    Acting is not a talent that magically degrades over time

I gotta disagree with you on that. Have you seen Harrison Ford recently? Sometimes I think the guy is half-asleep in his new movies. He didn't have the energy to bring the same spark back to Indy in the new Indiana Jones movie. He's definitely a guy who benefits a lot from good directing and that's something I can't really say the new SW movies had in abundance.

Knocking their age is silly, but other complaints are justified, plus is a new storyline really such a bad thing? It would be nice to see other aspects of the Star Wars universe on the silverscreen.
    edited July 2013
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    He didn't have the energy to bring the same spark back to Indy in the new Indiana Jones movie.
    Eh, I think that's more due to the quality of the film in general. Much like how no amount of good acting could have saved the prequel trilogy. :p We can both agree that Ford was not impressive in Indy4. But what can you do with a script like that, really?
    edited July 2013
    Well, given his interview in the Star Wars documentary where he says he resisted Lucas and the scripts of the original movies (nobody took the movie seriously at first)...quite a lot especially when the movie can't really go on without your approval.
    And it's not just Indy4. If it weren't for Cowboys and Aliens I would have given up on him entirely and even then it seemed more like a typecast. I haven't seen 42 yet though.

But back to my original point...there is a good chance Abrams will either try to recapture the cast's original magic or try something entirely different. It's one of those things where he wouldn't be able to win, so why bother? The only thing that would really work is Hamil as some kind of Jedi ambassador acting as a teacher because it's a reasonable expectation while still allowing room for "Jedi stuff" AND a new storyline. An old Han Solo would be just be...deflating, and I never want to see the inside of the republic senate ever again (Fisher as a senator? Ack! No more Star Wars senators!).
    edited April 2014
    Cast of the new movie announced.
    "The Star Wars team is thrilled to announce the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII.

"Actors John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson and Max von Sydow will join the original stars of the saga, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew and Kenny Baker in the new film.

"Director J.J. Abrams says, 'We are so excited to finally share the cast of Star Wars: Episode VII. It is both thrilling and surreal to watch the beloved original cast and these brilliant new performers come together to bring this world to life, once again. We start shooting in a couple of weeks, and everyone is doing their best to make the fans proud.'