If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Star Wars: Episode VII News and Rumors

2»

Comments

• smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited April 2014
    Very exciting to see pretty much the entire original cast coming back. With the recent announcement that the entire Expanded Universe is no longer considered canon (only the 6 movies and the Clone Wars cartoon are canon now), I really wonder what direction they will go with this movie.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    Not sure if that's necessarily a good thing though since I would say, of the official "canon" stuff, the only good bits were the original movies.
    edited April 2014
    Perhaps. I have to say though that as long as you ignore The Phantom Menace altogether (as Machete order recommends), the other two prequels aren't bad. In fact, watching it in Machete order has really improved the entire series for me in a lot of ways. Granted, I hadn't watched the originals since prior to the prequels, and only had watched the prequels in the theater until recently.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited April 2014
    ...Episode 2 and 3, GOOD!? hahaha...HaHaHa...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

*regains composure*

Are you sure we watched the same Episodes 2 and 3? 3 itself was so bad that it made the 3 prequel movies non-canon in my eyes.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited April 2014
    You're welcome to your own opinion. I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon that the prequels suck just because everyone else acts that way. I grew up with just the originals too, prior to the "enhanced" versions, and yes I've gone through the "Han shot first, dammit" phase too, but I grew out of it. You can have the opinion that the prequels aren't canon, but you're wrong and need to get over it. If the originals are the only "real" movies in your opinion, i wouldn't bother with 7-9.

Personally I found the pacing in 2 & 3 a lot better than the originals on a recent watch where I took off the rose-colored glasses. And while Anakin still seems whiny, its actually not as bad if you skip TPM, it even fits in pretty well and makes the resolution in Return of the Jedi more powerful when watching Machete order. While the story told in the originals as a whole is better, the prequels are an important part of the whole picture (ignoring TPM, since it added literally nothing of value to the overall story). And quite frankly, the prequels are more entertaining by today's standards.

Also, I said "not bad", not "good". The prequels have their flaws. Like I said, The Phantom Menace can be completely ignored and you lose nothing to the overall story. But quite frankly, there are flaws in the originals too.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited April 2014
    I definitely don't subscribe to fanboy logic, so I'm immune to the usual slights they go gaga about in the newer movies, but I don't think Disney should have been so quick to toss aside the expanded universe stuff, especially the good bits. But that's Disney for you.
    ignoring TPM, since it added literally nothing of value to the overall story

Other than explaining how Darth Sidious got his seat on the council, Anakin and Obi Wan's origin story, and how it foreshadowed the death of his mother. The rest was candy. If you really think about the second you can almost see the actual cogs in Sidious' machinations, but the obvious stuff (like acting) was lame. The third was fun just for the lightsabre battles.

The original movies were good all around, of course.