If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGamer's Best of 2012 Awards

MacstormMacstorm Ysy St.Administrators
edited February 2013 in Latest Updates
As 2013 gets into full swing, RPGamer looks back at the highlights of last year. It took quite a bit of deliberation and debate, but we now present to you the best RPGs of 2012.

Best of 2012 Awards
"The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited January 2013
    I agree almost 100% with this list.
    User Database Check
    Current Month and Year: March 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: Climactic Battle
    Number of Spammers banned: An ungodly number
  • retrodragonretrodragon Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    My two thoughts:

1. Surprised to see Kingdoms of Amalur get some love. I personally enjoyed the game quite a bit for the combat, and I was glad to see I wasn't the only one. Most of the people who I talk to about KoA seeom pretty negative.

2. Apparently I need to play Borderlands 2. I wasn't aware the game had any story worth mentioning. Plus I love fps rpg's.

And yeah, I pretty much am in total agreement about these titles. Now it's time to pull Xenoblade back off the shelf.
    Playing: Wild Arms 3, Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning, Star Ocean First Departure
    www.retrodragon.wordpress.com
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited January 2013
    retrodragon said:
    My two thoughts:

1. Surprised to see Kingdoms of Amalur get some love. I personally enjoyed the game quite a bit for the combat, and I was glad to see I wasn't the only one. Most of the people who I talk to about KoA seeom pretty negative.

2. Apparently I need to play Borderlands 2. I wasn't aware the game had any story worth mentioning. Plus I love fps rpg's.

And yeah, I pretty much am in total agreement about these titles. Now it's time to pull Xenoblade back off the shelf.
    Indeed. I loved Amalur's combat as well as you can see from my blurb. It had rough spots, but the battle system was not one of them.

And I'm with you on Borderlands 2, as it looks like I need to dive into that one for real.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited January 2013
    I've been needing to do that myself, but I need to save money for Spring Break so I can go to Atlanta since my boyfriend decided to be in town the entire week of March 11. I WILL make him go in the deep end of the pool. He needs to learn to be more confident in his swimming ability.
    User Database Check
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    Yay for Xenoblade love! On a personal note I'm pretty pleased with how the voting turned out :) Can't say I have any great arguments anywhere.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • RazaRaza Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Usually when I see Year End stuff, I kinda just go with it, as many times the choices listed aren't my own, or even close.

With that said, I personally agree with around 90% of the list. I also felt like it captured the essence of 2012. Nice job.

Though the most looked forward to list is a bit surprising.
    A critic is someone who stands on the mountaintop high above to watch a battle, and then comes down to shoot the survivors.
    -Hemingway
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    Ys and Devil Survivor 2 needed more love!
  • hoktomasterhoktomaster Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I'm surprised dark souls on the PC didn't even appear anywhere on the list
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    hoktomaster said:
    I believe most of our staff Dark Souls fans played it on console. Since even those of us who enjoy PC gaming also own consoles, most games that come out on console way before they do on PC just get covered during the year of their console release for GOTY awards.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • esukoesuko Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I have nothing against this list. But sure seems like a weird year in RPG. Do not know how to put it. But this year is somehow missing the kind of bright suprise hit? Or is it just me:smug:
    edited January 2013
    It was kind of a quiet year for RPGs, yeah, especially once the summer hit. For the first time in a long time, my top two games of the year were both non-RPGs (Dishonored and Kid Icarus: Uprising).

Edit: I'll note that's because I played Xenoblade in 2011, though. ;)
    edited January 2013
    Ocelot said:
    I believe most of our staff Dark Souls fans played it on console. Since even those of us who enjoy PC gaming also own consoles, most games that come out on console way before they do on PC just get covered during the year of their console release for GOTY awards.
    Not only that, but Dark Souls PC wasn't a spectacular port (I mean fans had to make a patch to make it run at 60fps for example).

A few surprises for me on the list:
    -Surprised to see KH3D on the biggest letdowns. I enjoyed that game as much as birth by sleep!
    -Sticker Star is awesome I hate you all
    -I'm terrified of the prospect of something worse than Mugen Souls O_O
    edited January 2013
    I love Sticker Star. I may also have voted it for Biggest Letdown, though. Sometimes a game can be something you really like, but it still isn't what you actually thought it would be.
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    hoktomaster said:
    I played Dark Souls on PC, but yeah, it's not a great port.

(Plus, I didn't vote)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    esuko said:
    I have nothing against this list. But sure seems like a weird year in RPG. Do not know how to put it. But this year is somehow missing the kind of bright suprise hit? Or is it just me:smug:
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. After FFXIII-2 didn't snag me, and ME3 was so criticized, I felt like it was a nice year for catching up on things, not so much pushing.

I am sad there was no TERA love, but I also didn't vote this year for personal reasons.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    Pokemon Conquest and Borderlands 2 make many appearances, which is great because I love both of those games. Xenoblade was a no brainer though considering how much people enjoyed it and the reviews on the game. I want to beat it, but I can't marathon it and it is one of those epic 100 hour games. I'll eventually get around to it.

The most anticipated games seems to reflect my own desire too. Though I don't think I could choose a top 3, because Project X Zone and SMT Soul Hackers both are coming out too. Either way, it's a good year for my 3DS.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • noodlenoodle Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    no MMO love makes me a sad panda.
    edited January 2013
    noodle said:
    no MMO love makes me a sad panda.
    There's some Guild Wars 2 love in there!
    edited January 2013
    Wheels said:
    There's some Guild Wars 2 love in there!
    This. And I do agree with the talk in the article about the world. It's just utterly beautiful, but there ARE some areas that can absolutely terrify you with how some things look. For example, Malchor's Leap, an endgame area filled to the brim with the undead has an absolutely terrifying spot at its northern border. You swim anywhere else in there, and the water looks clear, yet somewhat murky due to the death. However, the northernmost water is pitch black, and can really turn your stomach since nowhere else in the game does the water get that bad. The following are the two pictures showing that off...and ignore the chat log. X3

Normal water
    Northern border water
    User Database Check
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Huh. First website I've ever seen say Borderlands wasn't funny (and B2 was funnier? It doesn't have Marcus' iconic line in it!) and Dragon's Dogma was incredibly flawed, but nice to see B2 and ME3 get the respect they deserved. I expected the list to be populated by handheld JRPG's.

It's a real shame about RAW. Its core gameplay and handling of combat was actually pretty good, but everything else dragged it down. Not that its core gameplay was THAT good. Crimson Alliance was better.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    Borderlands just didn't keep me coming back after I got so far into it. It was silly, but Borderlands 2 completely blows it away when it comes to laughs. And gameplay and story for that matter.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • 7thCircle7thCircle RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2013
    TG Barighm said:
    Huh. First website I've ever seen say ... Dragon's Dogma was incredibly flawed
    I wrote that part and might not necessarily be speaking for everyone on staff who played it. In the voting sheet Mac defined Guilty Pleasure as a game you either spent the most time playing or loved despite its flaws. Dragon's Dogma came in second for the latter reason and I ran with it. Alex also mentioned the game's drawbacks in his Biggest Surprise write-up, so I figured we were consistent in how we described it in the feature.

Individuals write bits and pieces of the GOTY feature without knowing all the results, and then I stitch them together and wordsmith parts to make them flow and read consistently both on a single page and across the feature. The results themselves are a staff consensus as best as we can do it. The write-ups have individual spins, such as my simultaneous love and anger for Dragon's Dogma.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • Glowing HyrenGlowing Hyren Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Good news that 2/3 of the most wanted games are coming next month. I'm surprised that they're all on 3DS. I'm not a huge console gamer so I might be out of the loop, but there aren't any big console RPGs set to release this year?
    Please Donate to RPGamer's Extra Life team!
    http://www.extra-life.org/participant/diceadmiral
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited January 2013
    This might be the closest "Best Of" awards that RPGamer has ever come to matching my own personal tastes. Gotta say I applaud you guys for actually giving Borderlands 2, Amalur, and Graces respect while putting down Sticker Star, FF13-2, and KH3D. Really pleasant to see your own opinions essentially match up with most of the written articles in each category, especially Best Console. A little surprised Etrian Odyssey is one of the most wanted games given the possibility of Tales of Xillia, Dark Souls 2, or SMT4, but maybe one of the requirements for that section was a known release date.

The only things I actually disagree with on these awards are Diablo 3 being best PC RPG, and the apparent rampant love of Pokemon Conquest I didn't know existed. Never knew one of my least favorite games from 2012 actually had this much love going for it, but I guess I shouldn't be too surprised given its Pokemon and all.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I would pick Xenoblade for 3rd place battle system over Pokemon Conquest. But I haven't played Pokemon Conquest. Is it really that good of a game?
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited January 2013
    No arguments from me on how the results turned out. I'm also pleasantly surprised at how not only did two of my most wanted games from next year were voted for, but all three games are for the 3DS. :)
    Reincarnation, realization
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I was surprised to see Growlanser on the handheld list, but I really can't think of many better ones that weren't remakes. The first few months of 2013 with Atlus' storm and FE: Awakening already seems much better than the entire 2012 handheld list.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    It was silly, but Borderlands 2 completely blows it away when it comes to laughs. And gameplay and story for that matter.
    Story, sure, but I'm surprised you feel that way about the other things. Gameplay is pretty much the same and nobody quotes any joke from B2, but websites used to use a number of classic lines from the original in their site headers (and not necessarily to advertise Borderlands).
    That said, I don't have much respect for pure comedy plots anyway (same joke isn't funny twice and all that), so that's all I'm gonna say about that.
    The write-ups have individual spins, such as my simultaneous love and anger for Dragon's Dogma.
    Well, yeah, but "deeply flawed" and "can't recommend" is pretty strong language. For me, a flawed game I can't recommend but I personally enjoy playing would be along the lines of...oh, Gothica 4. Dragon's Dogma is head and shoulders above games like Gothica 4 or even games like Risen, Divinity 2, and Infinite Undiscovery. I was just saying this is the first site I've seen go that far.

But I'm just nitpicking, so no real need to respond to that. A more interesting question, given the number of major RPGs released this year shrouded in controversy, is whether or not this was a good year for RPGs. You ignore the controversy surrounding games like Diablo 3 and ME3 and it suddenly looks like a good, maybe not great, year for RPGs. You consider the controversy, and it becomes a poor year. Thoughts?
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Despite being in the top percentage of Poke-nerds on this site, I haven't played Pokemon Conquest. Clearly I must take steps to rectify this.

I am so glad Xenoblade cleaned up, especially in GOTY (it was my personal #1), though I'm curious about XIII-2 sneaking in there.

And that Most Anticipated stunned me. I expected 1 3DS game, but the entire podium and Soul Hackers (which is in the Etrian Odyssey slot for me)? Wow.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I take it that this list was made prior to the Monolith Soft Wii U trailer, I havent wanted a video game this bad in a long time that is of course with the exception of Xenoblade, waiting it to come from Europe was one of the most difficult waits ever