If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Fire Emblem: Awakening - Staff Review

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
edited February 2013 in Latest Updates
The sixth Fire Emblem in English, and the thirteenth overall, is almost available for the perusal of the masses. Is it dead on arrival, or will it knock you dead? One way to find out is reading this review.
Make a killing.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited January 2013
    Only another reminder that I need a 3DS and this game.
    User Database Check
    Current Month and Year: March 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: Climactic Battle
    Number of Spammers banned: An ungodly number
  • LOLOttertardLOLOttertard Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I couldn't finish Shadow Dragon, but I'll definitely give this a look when I eventually get a 3DS since you can turn off permadeath.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Thanks for the detailed review.
    I recently finished the Wii FE.
    I am in need of a 3DS.
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactic's Ogre I choose u! Full Members
    edited January 2013
    My 3DS is all warmed up and ready to go :)
  • KittyFieldsKittyFields Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I'm playing this right now. Yay for EB Games and breaking the street date!

I actually don't mind the out-ofbattle voice clips. I would much prefer full voice acting, but it's kinda nice to hear at least a little bit of the character's voice when they're talking.

I also want to add that support conversations are hilarious! Frederick and his morale-boosting naked Chrom posters... XD
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited January 2013
    I've avoided starting a new handheld game (mostly by reading A Memory of Light and going back to Pokemon for a while). I didn't think I could be more excited for Awakening but... :D
    Reincarnation, realization
  • Private PrinnyPrivate Prinny Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Now Nintendo of Europe, announce the 3DS XL Black Model (which is japan exclusive atm) and take my money!
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Welp buying now, the only reason i dont get FE games is the whole permanent death mechanic and since it has a mode where that doesnt happen im so there
  • ClixClix Never Google Image Search Full Members
    edited January 2013
    For those playing/planning on playing, am I the only one here that will keep perma-death on?
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited January 2013
    Clix said:
    For those playing/planning on playing, am I the only one here that will keep perma-death on?
    I'm planning to get it. It'll be my first FE game. Much like AncientRune, the permadeath has been one of the biggest deterrents for me. I'm honestly not sure how it would work with the story, it seems like characters are important based on the demo, and it'd be weird for them to die. So I will definitely be turning it off. Something about permadeath just bothers me, although I tend to be a completionist and like to overpower and max out all my characters in most games I play.
  • Morgan19Morgan19 Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I'll be picking it up, and won't have permadeath on either... Same rationale as the others already mentioned.

One thing that bugs me... What's up with characters' feet missing? In every video I've seen, they clip down below the ground plane so it looks like everyone's running around on pointy toothpick legs. It's very strange.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited January 2013
    Clix said:
    At least one person will be joining you with perma-death on, Clix. To be honest its only truly bothered me once in a late game fight against a mage boss with one of those long range tomes in Path of Radiance. Thats not to say I haven't reset the a stage or two, but that one level was beyond aggravating to get through without losing one character in the process. Personally the challenge in Fire Emblem comes from not letting any of your characters die, so I can't see how FE would be all that fun or strategical if I could just lose half my party and still win without any drawbacks.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
  • ScarScar Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I'm so ready for this game! I got the art book too, but it's nothing really impressive.

I've played FE games since they started coming to the states, and I'll be damned if I am going to start turning perma-deaths off anytime soon. That feels like a staple of the series, and as annoying as it is, it makes for battles to be that more calculating which I enjoy. I imagine my gf will be playing with perma-deaths off though, if she even plays the game. She seemed to like the demo, but regardless, she will have to wait her turn!

Only a week away!
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    just an fyi if you havent preorded it yet you may not be able to get the retail version, I hear even gamestop isnt taking preorders anymore.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited January 2013
    AncientRune said:
    just an fyi if you havent preorded it yet you may not be able to get the retail version, I hear even gamestop isnt taking preorders anymore.
    This is true, I tried pre-order at Gamestop last week and they wouldn't take it. Sucks, but I'm betting at least one store around here will have a copy in stock.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
    edited January 2013
    That's what Amazon, Walmart, Best Buy etc are for.

Monopolies are silly.
    edited January 2013
    ChickenGod said:
    At least one person will be joining you with perma-death on, Clix. To be honest its only truly bothered me once in a late game fight against a mage boss with one of those long range tomes in Path of Radiance. Thats not to say I haven't reset the a stage or two, but that one level was beyond aggravating to get through without losing one character in the process. Personally the challenge in Fire Emblem comes from not letting any of your characters die, so I can't see how FE would be all that fun or strategical if I could just lose half my party and still win without any drawbacks.
    Glad to see I'm not alone in my insanity.

Honestly, I've only let two people die permanently in my FE-career (which spans from all GBA games and on; currently working on FE3's remake for the DS):
    1. Haar on the final boss stage of FE10. ...I was NOT repeating that.
    2. Ogier on his introduction chapter (Ch 8) in FE6, first play through. I had repeated the chapter about a dozen times, and he died in the final stretch. I decided to just finish the map without him; he may be a very potential Merc/Hero, but it's not Dieck can't cover the slack.

EDIT!!:
    3. A ton of people I don't even remember in FE1DS, since I wanted to get all of the bonus chapters. Boy was that a sadistic feature...
    edited January 2013
    I think I am going to try a no reset attempt either after I beat the game or at some point for fun. I wonder how small my squad will get at the end. lol
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    edited January 2013
    I think I may try a first run with perma-death turned off and a second run with it on. I don't plan on letting anyone die if I can help it, but I also like the idea of not resetting a battle 5+ times because of my own carelessness.
    edited January 2013
    riulyn said:
    I think I may try a first run with perma-death turned off and a second run with it on. I don't plan on letting anyone die if I can help it, but I also like the idea of not resetting a battle 5+ times because of my own carelessness.
    I'd actually do the opposite. See, play once on Normal with perma-death, constantly resetting in frustration. Then, on second play through, turn off perma-death on a higher setting. I've never actually played Hard Mode, since I'm too scared. This might make the higher difficulty more manageable. (Watch it that perma-death is not optional on higher settings.)
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited January 2013
    AncientRune said:
    Yeah, I went to pre-order a few days ago and they told me that the only copies they are selling are the bundles- the retail copies were "limited editions"
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited January 2013
    I'll be keeping perma-death on. It just won't feel like a Fire Emblem game without it.
    Reincarnation, realization
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited February 2013
    Clix said:
    I'm keeping it on, but might still play on easy. :)
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited February 2013
    ChickenGod said:
    I agree, and I too will join with perma-death on.
    User Database Check
    Current Month and Year: March 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: Climactic Battle
    Number of Spammers banned: An ungodly number
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited February 2013
    I'm on Team #noyolo for this one
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactic's Ogre I choose u! Full Members
    edited February 2013
    How are some people playing this already?? lol

Did all ebgames stores release it already?

I have it preordered and never got a call :(

In terms of permadeath I will leave it on... in my opinion its an inegral part of the series. Can be frustrating at times, but it just means you must develop a sound strategy for every stage :)
  • randal77randal77 well well, look who it is Full Members
    edited February 2013
    Having played and finished almost every FE game, I feel obliged to play with permadeath on.

No doubt I will massively regret this decision the first (but not last) time I play a very long map while getting amazingly lucky levelup statgains only to have someone die to an enemy's 1% critical chance right at the end of the map.
    Wait a second... If you're here, than that means... oh boy
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2013
    scorpio_7 said:

In terms of permadeath I will leave it on... in my opinion its an inegral part of the series. Can be frustrating at times, but it just means you must develop a sound strategy for every stage :)
    Around here, the EBGames stores are very scrupulous about release dates, so anybody who got one early from a store didn't due to any company-wide policy.

My husband works near an independent game store that's in a basement unit right below an EBGames. The indie store would sometimes give people their pre-orders a day or two early if the game came in then, and the EBGames store manager got so angry about it that he'd try to peek in the bags of the indie store customers so he could tell on the store for giving out games early. Craziness.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • KittyFieldsKittyFields Member Full Members
    edited February 2013
    scorpio_7 said:

EB Games sent out a company-wide e-mail in Canada to sell the games as soon as they came in (they even Tweeted that the game would be sold earlier). However, I heard reports that they only sold the game early for a day (they backpeddled). I went to EB Games the day they announced they were selling the game early and picked up the last copy they had (I didn't pre-order).

As I'm playing more, I've discovered something I really hate -- you can't advance the text by tapping on the touchscreen. I like to eat and play at the same time, which is really awkward to do without either the touch screen or the d-pad being able to advance the text in story sequences.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited February 2013
    The game is out?
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.