If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

10 Screens - Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 4

OcelotOcelot is not declawedRPGamer Staff
edited February 2013 in Latest Updates
Penny Arcade's Gabe and Tycho are returning for a fourth and final adventure, their second with Zeboyd Games at the helm. Here are some screens showing off the game's environments and its monster-taming battle system.

[10 Screens]
Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited February 2013
    Playable monsters? I sense madness approaching. Also, I DO hope we get to punch out Cthulhu (trope reference there).
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • SavorienSavorien Member Full Members
    edited February 2013
    Their environment art seems to be getting better. At least, better than what I remember? Also, is that a Chrono Trigger styled overmap??!
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade
  • Zeboyd GamesZeboyd Games Member Full Members
    edited February 2013
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.
    edited February 2013
    Well done guys. There's a lot of shading going on and it adds a significant amount of polish to the environments. I like it.
    Vanillaware’s 2D is, once again, shaming their competitor’s 3D. It’s like, what are you even doing with your extra D, jerks? Maybe we should hold that extra D in reserve for you, like a trust, until you are ready. - Tycho, Penny Arcade
  • Glowing HyrenGlowing Hyren Member Full Members
    edited February 2013
    Neat. I hadn't seen these yet. I just wish this site had a better screenshot viewer. It's pretty annoying to click on every picture and come back for every one of them.
    Please Donate to RPGamer's Extra Life team!
    http://www.extra-life.org/participant/diceadmiral
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited February 2013
    Heh. He knocked my notion of producing a game with FF6 level of graphics, but looky! He eventually made it (mostly) there on his own. Heck, he even has a train sequence. Next stop: FF7 quality!

Admit it, Zeboyd. Blocky polygonal graphics would be an endless source of jokes.

Tycho: "Holy crap! My schlong is all big and blocky!"

Gabe: "That's the one benefit of being made up of early era polygons: the grotesque exaggerations of our bodies doesn't stop at the limbs."

Tycho: "Now I just need to find a square hole..."
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited February 2013
    That's uuuh, nice train you got there. Looks well fed.

And no TG, bad. PS1 era graphics are to be shunned.
    edited February 2013
    Hey now, pre-rendered backgrounds were gorgeous, and I never had a problem with sprites. I was just joking about the polygons.
    edited February 2013
    TG Barighm said:
    Heh. He knocked my notion of producing a game with FF6 level of graphics, but looky! He eventually made it (mostly) there on his own. Heck, he even has a train sequence. Next stop: FF7 quality!
    How long ago was this? Because FF6-level graphics were definitely beyond us when we were starting out but our engine has improved since then and our artist has really grown in experience & skill. Precipice of Darkness 4 is taking us about as long to make as Cthulhu Saves the World did, despite the drastically improved visuals (and probably increased length as well).
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.
    edited February 2013
    What's going to be your next project after PoD4?
    User Database Check
    edited February 2013
    edited February 2013
    YOU SHALL HAVE MY $30! Because you had me the second I read the "none of the Star Ocean 'fantasy planet' type thing".
    User Database Check
    edited February 2013
    Zeboyd Games said:
    Sounds awesome. Looking forward to screens and more info in the months ahead!
    edited February 2013
    Does that mean Ep.4 is the last game in the series? Or does Penny Arcade have more episodes planned?

Is it my imagination or do female protaganists work better for sci-fi settings? When someone says "new sci-fi" project, the first image that enters my head is a female character. With fantasy settings it's always a male character. Funny that.

Or maybe it's because I find cyborg ninjas sexy.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2013
    In today's world of novels at least, female leads are more common in fantasy (and ubiquitous in paranormal fantasy thanks to the Twilight phenom). "Hard" sci-fi is still a bit of an old-boy's club, whereas female authors and readers are now a huge part of the fantasy genre. Things seem different in terms of video games. Though female protagonists are rare in all game genres, most of the memorable leads (in Western gaming anyway) seem to come from modern and futuristic games (Faith, Jade, Lara), or hybrid games like The Longest Journey.

And yes, this is the final entry in the Penny Arcade series. I'm sure Robert will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe four games was the originally planned length of the series back when PA was working with Hothead.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    edited February 2013
    Precipice of Darkness 4 is the grand finale of the series. The series was always intended as a four-parter (hence the "The Quartet For The Dusk Of Man").

As far as female protagonists in sci-fi settings goes, there's certainly strong precedent:
    The Alien series
    Metroid
    Phantasy Star series (especially the first game)
    Xenosaga series
    Somewhat in Mass Effect (Fem-shep)
    Some of the Wild Arms games (WA3 & WA:XF both had female leads)
    Star Ocean 2 (one of the lead choices is female)

And lots more.
  • bill_at_zeboydbill_at_zeboyd New Member Full Members
    edited February 2013
    Zeboyd Games said:
    How long ago was this? Because FF6-level graphics were definitely beyond us when we were starting out but our engine has improved since then and our artist has really grown in experience & skill. Precipice of Darkness 4 is taking us about as long to make as Cthulhu Saves the World did, despite the drastically improved visuals (and probably increased length as well).
    You can just say my name, Robert! Heheh. Our artist is me, there's only two of us! ;)

Anyway, the feedback on the screens has been very encouraging to me! I've been working extremely hard and trying a ton of new ideas on how to do 16-bit art efficiently, so it's good to hear that the upgrades on Rainslick4 are noticeable.

Doing all of these maps and enemies from almost entirely from scratch and getting almost all of it done in what will likely end up about an equal time span as it took to do CSTW has been a massive challenge for me thus far but I'm pretty close to pulling it off.
    edited February 2013
    ...for some strange reason I suddenly want you guys to do the next game in the same look style as Earthbound, just for the laughs.
    User Database Check
    edited February 2013
    An Earthbound-like game would definitely be right up their alley.
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited February 2013
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited February 2013
    Will your sci-fi game have a more serious tone? I've played your first 3 rpgs and I plan on get Rainslick 4 too, but I'd like to see you guys taka a shot a a serious scenario. There could still be lots of humour like the old Squaresoft games.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2013
    Zeboyd Games said:
    I'm curious now, are you planning to make a longer game this time? Your games to date have been 5-10 hours long, but it almost sounds like you're planning something much, much bigger. Like, 30-40 hours bigger. Is that the plan?
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
    edited February 2013
    Answer time!

CSH is not a sequel to Cthulhu Saves the World or Breath of Death VII.

I'm not sure what the ratio of serious to humor will be in CSH. Even when I start out trying to do serious, it usually turns to full-fledged comedy before we're done. However, we are going to put much more emphasis on doing a more sophisticated story with twists & turns with CSH. In the past, our games have had very simple plots - you have a main premise, you go on a bunch of wacky adventures, you have a simple plot twist near the end, and then you're done. In CSH, we're going to try to have a plot more akin to some of the classic Square-Enix plots of the SNES & PS1 era like FF6, Chrono Trigger, and Xenogears where the overarching plot actually evolves as you play through the game instead of just having a start, an end, and a bunch of wacky stuff in the middle.

As far as length goes, that's really hard to say until we actually finish game. Each new game we've made has been longer than the previous ones & it's my guess that Precipice of Darkness 4 will be noticeably longer than #3, especially if you do all the optional stuff. I'm guessing CSH will be in the 10-20 hour range, but it's way too early to say.
    edited February 2013
    10-20 hours? Sounds about the same as Chrono Trigger on a NG+.
    User Database Check
    edited February 2013
    Oh and Precipice of Darkness 4 should definitely be in the 10-20 hour range as well. I'm guessing around 15 hours to do everything, but we'll have a better guess closer to launch.
  • JungyinJungyin Member Full Members
    edited February 2013
    When you said "16-bit aesthetic but will be more sophisticated than anything that could have actually come out on the SNES/Genesis" I thought of how the original Tales of Destiny looked except for of the world map (the only place I can remember that made use of polygons). Will it look similar to that? Surprisingly some the effects in that game existed in the SFC Tales of Phantasia in a more limited form, such as leaving ripples in the water when walking though puddles or casting a shadow in the right direction when circling a light source.
    edited February 2013
    I'm not really a fan of the Tales of Destiny visual style, so no, it's not likely to look like that.

CSH will look better than Precipice of Darkness 4, but I can't really think of a good game to compare it to.
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited February 2013
    Zeboyd Games said:
    I'm not really a fan of the Tales of Destiny visual style, so no, it's not likely to look like that.

CSH will look better than Precipice of Darkness 4, but I can't really think of a good game to compare it to.

I'm intrigued by your new concept. I definitely think you've progressed over the past few games. The sort of skills you see in sci-fi RPGs are always fun, I miss the Shadowruns and what-not of the RPG genre. As far as Spy rpgs, Alpha Protocol was one of my favorites of the past several years too, though your last RPG was more of the linear JRPG form than the forking western choice-focused variety.
  • DrizzlDrizzl Member Full Members
    edited February 2013
    I really wish this was on ps3 or vita
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]