If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Avadon Returns More Corrupt than Ever

TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff HealerRPGamer Staff
edited March 2013 in Latest Updates
Spiderweb Software has unveiled its newest title, so RPGamers with a tolerance for Spiderweb's unique graphical style have a lot to look forward to. Your guess is as good as ours about what exactly is being corrupted, though.

[Link]

Comments

  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited February 2013
    I'm excited about this, last year I finally picked up some of their games and suddenly two months later I had blown through the entire Geneforge saga. Going through the first of this one now, and it's pretty amazing. I don't think I've ever played a game where my actions were so accurately reflected in how everyone in the game treated me, and how the ending turned out.
  • RalsuRalsu Member Full Members
    edited February 2013
    TwinBahamut said:
    so RPGamers with a tolerance for Spiderweb's unique graphical style
    I was curious about this qualification. It came across as a little harsh in the tone I heard when I read it in my head.

    I didn't play the first Avadon and had forgotten what it looked like. So I looked around for some screens and--

    Carry on, TwinBahamut. Carry on.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2013
    For anyone curious about the first game, I review it awhile back http://rpgamer.com/games/avadon/avadon/reviews/avadonstrev1.html
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited February 2013
    My main problem with Avadon isn't so much the graphics but rather how everyone else didn't really give me a reason to put up with the graphics. Now that there are a whole load of other 90's-style CRPGs coming out I feel less incline to mess around with a mediocre one.
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2013
    Ralsu said:
    I was curious about this qualification. It came across as a little harsh in the tone I heard when I read it in my head.

    I didn't play the first Avadon and had forgotten what it looked like. So I looked around for some screens and--

    Carry on, TwinBahamut. Carry on.
    Heh. Yeah, it was a bit harsh, but, as I mentioned in my review for Avernum: Escape from the Pit, the graphics for these games are really one of their biggest weaknesses. I am totally okay with simple graphics, but the art style itself is a mess. Still, I actually quite liked that game for many reasons, so I do hope that it doesn't turn everyone away.

    I don't think I can endure the same graphics in both Avernum and Avadon, though, so I think I'll just skip Avadon and wait for the Avernum 2 remake.
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited February 2013
    Drav, I haven't been sucked into a crpg like I did to their Geneforge series of games in over a decade. I've slowed down on Avadon, but that's because I blew through 5 of their games in 3 months time, and these were 20+ hour endeavors. Once you get past the graphics, which did take me a couple hours, you'll discover an amazingly deep world where you can really do whatever you want. The fact that I could join any of a multitude of factions, or say screw it and be a loner and do my own thing, and have it be reflected in the ending really impressed me. It even referenced small side characters and plots and what I had chosen to do to resolve those(or not resolve, in some cases!).

    For anyone who grew up playing old DOS games/early Windows titles, or enjoys that style, I can't recommend these enough.

    The demos for all these games are huge, and give you plenty of time to see if you'd want to purchase them. They also regularly go on sale, especially in November when Spiderweb Software puts every game they have on sale each year.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I've dabbled with various entries in all Spiderweb's series and like some more than others. I agree that Geneforge's faction system was pretty cool, especially since that's something you very rarely see in bigger budget games (Gothic and New Vegas are the only games that come to mind). Avadon doesn't have anything like that though.
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    Ah, I could've sworn I read about being able to stick with where you begin, or go to various other ones. I'm not far enough in yet to really know.
  • Glowing HyrenGlowing Hyren Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    freykin said:
    Drav, I haven't been sucked into a crpg like I did to their Geneforge series of games in over a decade. I've slowed down on Avadon, but that's because I blew through 5 of their games in 3 months time, and these were 20+ hour endeavors. Once you get past the graphics, which did take me a couple hours, you'll discover an amazingly deep world where you can really do whatever you want. The fact that I could join any of a multitude of factions, or say screw it and be a loner and do my own thing, and have it be reflected in the ending really impressed me. It even referenced small side characters and plots and what I had chosen to do to resolve those(or not resolve, in some cases!).

    For anyone who grew up playing old DOS games/early Windows titles, or enjoys that style, I can't recommend these enough.

    The demos for all these games are huge, and give you plenty of time to see if you'd want to purchase them. They also regularly go on sale, especially in November when Spiderweb Software puts every game they have on sale each year.
    Did you play the Avernum games too?
    Please Donate to RPGamer's Extra Life team!
    http://www.extra-life.org/participant/diceadmiral
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I've got the newest remake of the first one, and am working my way through Avadon at the moment. Will be going to that one next after it. I remember absolutely loving Exile 1-3 when I was younger, so looking forward to seeing how this reworking of it turned out.
Sign In or Register to comment.