If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

March (Backlog) Madness!

FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW!Full Members
edited April 2013 in Miscellaneous Gaming
So, I've been thinking a lot about it today, and I want to do something with and for you fine people besides my usual role as the host of the completed games thread. Today is March 1st (Thank you, Captain Obvious.), and as March rolls around, so does the NCAA basketball phenomenon known as March Madness. Well I generally dislike sports and usually want nothing to do with this time, but I thought... Why not use the theme of a elimination tournament as a way to clear out the old backlog.

You see, before the end of last year, my collection was bereft of backlog. I would play games as I get them and nothing more. But over the holidays my adoring and loving wife somehow acquired me a backlog of my very own by buying me a ton of games and such as they went on great sales. I love that she knows me well enough that she buys me games and DLC as gifts, but I'm now stuck with a large amount of games that I want to play, but haven't gotten a chance to do so.

And I hate it.

So, as there is really only one game in March that I want to get (Come here, Bioshock Infinite, you tasty bastage...), I'm going to dedicate the rest of March to cleaning up as much of my backlog as I possibly can and I want you guys to help me. I love the idea of giving back to the community, so I propose this to my fellows

Anyone who wants to participate can do so but after the first week (March 10th) submissions will be closed to new players.
You will be paired up with someone at random to be your competition in the bracket.
The rounds will run one week in length (March 11th-17th, 18th-24th, 25th-31st.), The person with the most points at the end of one week will move up in the bracket and continue competing.
Full games are worth 1 point. DLC is half a point. Points will be reset for each week for the new competition. In the case of a tie, you will both move on to the next tier and be re-paired with someone new.
The tournament will continue until one person is left standing at the end. Points gathered in previous weeks will still accumulate in a meta-game total.
The person left standing will get a prize at the end. If it's me, then the prize will be awarded to the person in second place (I'm not gonna give it to myself. That's cheating!).
The person with the highest (or second highest, if I'm the first) meta-game score will also receive a prize. Unless, of course, you are the winner of the other contest, then your prize will likely just be a bit bigger.

Now, as I want this to be as clean as possible, I'm limiting what you can post to only the things in your backlog as of today. New items won't count (Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, etc. Things that come out in March. Anything that you BUY in March, actually. It's not technically part of your backlog if you just bought it.)... And please guys... Please please please don't make me get anal about this and ask for proof. I trust you guys, just the same way that I trust you with the `Completed Games` thread. If you post something here, I believe you. I will probably get suspicious if you start dumping games on the thread as a way to pad your points. Again, I'm trusting you guys to make this a legit contest.

I don't want to say what the prize will be, but I will make it worth your while to participate.

I'd love to know you guys thoughts on this and hopefully people will join in on this with me. I'd like to see some nice healthy competition here that will drive me to put a nail in this damn backlog.

Thank you, guys!

Oh, One last thing, if you think you're going to sign up, dump a lot of games here, win and bail and not come back, don't bother even signing up. I'm not going to let that happen.

Comments

• NimNim _ Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I could join, but I'm most likely not going to complete more than 3 games this month. If this is still okay, I'm in. I'd post my backlog, but I have almost 100 unfinished games I actually want to finish at some point.

My hope is that I complete the following games this month:

Darksiders II
    Arcanum of Steamworks Magick & Obscura
    Dust: An Elysian Tail
    Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
    Tales of the Abyss 3D
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2013
    My goal for March Backloggery Madness is to beat...

Assassin's Creed II (Sequence 9)
    Harvest Moon: Boy & Girl (7 hours in, finishing Spring 1)
    Ar tonelico 2 (Luca Phase 1, roughly 8 hours in)
    SMT: Devil Summoner 2 (Raidou 2) (haven't started)
    Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (10 hours in, just got my ship!)

And this will only not happen if I end up with review games to tackle. So right away, I'm sure a few things will get shafted here. I'd be happy to beat two of those at least.
  • gaijinmonogatarigaijinmonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2013
    Hm... at the moment, I have three games (Soma Bringer, TotW: Narikiri Dungeon 2, and Dragon Knights Glorious) sitting around incomplete. I've already reduced my incomplete backlog by one this evening (Dragon's Dogma) so I should be able to remove at least two of these others before I set my sights on a different title.

Edit: Let's list these out a little more clearly, and add two to make it a nice 5.

Soma Bringer (on to Act V!)
    TotW: Narikiri Dungeon 2 (probably should restart so I remember what I'm doing...)
    Dragon Knights Glorious (somewhere in Chapter 3)
    Dragon Quest Monsters: Caravan Heart (saving for after Narikiri)
    SMT: Devil Summoner Raidou 2 (for Nyx's thing, haven't started yet)
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited March 2013
    All right, I think I'll bite. My goal for this month is to beat Ni No Kuni, Fire Emblem Awakening, Etrian Odyssey 3, Tales of the Abyss, Portal, and at least 1 Ratchet and Clank game (hopefully more!). Since I actually get a march break I can see me actually achieving this...hopefully. Do I need to put more on my list? Do I have to list more games I have in my backlog? I have a lot. Like, a LOT. Dragon Age 2, Jak and Daxter games, Sly Cooper games, ect... so I got plenty of backlog available.

Question though...for a game like Morrowind is it just beating the main quest line for the main game and each expansion? Or is there a certain amount of content I'd need to do before you'd consider it done? Because I still have a long way to go before I'm ever going to be finished with that game.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited March 2013
    Darn, this looks like such a fun idea. Unfortunately there are about 4 games coming out in March I'd like to play. Hmm, I'll think about whether or not to sign up. If only games bought before March 10th counted...
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I actually need this. Aside from Terraria, all of the games I have my eye on this month are just rentals for me. But boy, I've got some massive games left unfinished, or unstarted. I'd probably have the lowest odds to win.

Tales of Vesperia (I'd say 75% through and just never got back to it; about time I finished that off)
    Skyrim (Never started the main questline)
    The Witcher 2 (started, but that's it)
    Dragon's Dogma (unstarted)
    Kingdoms of Amalur (unstarted)

I can easily produce more.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited March 2013
    Nim wrote: »
    I could join, but I'm most likely not going to complete more than 3 games this month. If this is still okay, I'm in.
    Join in! No problem! Try your hardest to do more if you want!
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    Do I need to put more on my list? Do I have to list more games I have in my backlog?

Not at all, You don't actually have to list anything. If you'd like to list more, no problem. It's just me trying to help you and myself clear out some of these backlogs.
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    Question though...for a game like Morrowind is it just beating the main quest line for the main game and each expansion? Or is there a certain amount of content I'd need to do before you'd consider it done? Because I still have a long way to go before I'm ever going to be finished with that game.

Whatever you feel like is completed to you is good enough for me. Just like the completed games thread.
    ChickenGod wrote: »
    If only games bought before March 10th counted...

Sorry, Boss. I had to draw the line somewhere. And since this is a March contest, any games bought this month aren't your backlog, they're current.
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    I'd probably have the lowest odds to win.
    No selling yourself short man! You could take this!
    edited March 2013
    Yeah its all good FB. Here's a question for you though. What if a member is doing another playthrough of a game they've already beaten? In my case its Fire Emblem, but maybe some users have already beaten one of this month's marathon games before? Anyway I'm thinking I'll participate afterall. At the very least you can use me to fill out the bracket, and maybe Tomb Raider and some others will end up being short. This is most of my list here:

DmC
    Rayman Origins
    Darksiders 2
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time
  • EndofPiEndofPi New Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I would like to Join

My backlog is really steep and between school and work I am not sure how far I will get. But crossing my finger...hoping for the best

Ios
    Twewy
    Chaos rings 2
    Ghost trick
    Final fantasy 4

Vita
    Plants vs zombies
    Ninja gainden sigma
    Gravity rush
    Mutant blog attack

Ps3
    Ni no kuni
    Ratchet and clank all for one
    Borderlands 2

3ds
    Tales of abyss
    Kid Icarus
    edited March 2013
    What if a member is doing another playthrough of a game they've already beaten? In my case its Fire Emblem, but maybe some users have already beaten one of this month's marathon games before?

Well, it's not really part of a backlog, is it? You're just replaying a game you've beaten for kicks. It's wholly different from getting to a game you haven't even taken out of its shrink wrap yet.
    edited March 2013
    Well, it's not really part of a backlog, is it? You're just replaying a game you've beaten for kicks. It's wholly different from getting to a game you haven't even taken out of its shrink wrap yet.

For sure. For instance, I haven't ever put Castlevania: Lords of Shadow into my 360 until yesterday. That's a backlogged game. If you're playing Fire Emblem: Awakening a second time, you're just playing it again and ignoring the games you've either played at some point and stopped for some reason and never went back to or not ever started in the first place.
    edited March 2013
    Sounds reasonable then, I took FE off and added a different game. Looks like 8 people have committed already, your idea is shaping up nicely FB.
    edited March 2013
    ChickenGod wrote: »
    Sounds reasonable then, I took FE off and added a different game. Looks like 8 people have committed already, your idea is shaping up nicely FB.

I know! I'm so stoked!
    edited March 2013
    For instance, I haven't ever put Castlevania: Lords of Shadow into my 360 until yesterday.

Oh, man! You should totally play it. Not sure what you think about action games, but the gorgeous videos, music, and origins of Dracula make the whole ripped-off gameplay totally worth it. And it's pretty lengthy too.
  • LassicLassic Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    Man, did I ever needed something like this: my backlog is completely out of control!

March will be a busy month but squeezing in a couple of games should be possible :)

Kingdoms of Amalur: 90/95% complete, 70 hours played
    Mass Effect 2: about halfway (technically my 3rd playthrough but it's the first time with an imported save from ME1 so I think that counts)
  • SpaceLionSpaceLion Formerly kuhfuss5 Full Members
    edited March 2013
    Man, this is a great idea. A good way to keep focused on what I already have instead of going for the next thing that catches my eye.

I don't know how much I'll get through. I've been pretty bad at completing games this year (see my attempts at the "Year of..." games), but I do want to try to make more of a dent in my PS3 backlog. Such as:

Red Dead Redemption (10 hours in)
    Resonance of Fate (20 hours in)
    Folklore (just started)
    Tales of Graces (10 hours in)
    Dark Souls (10 hours in)
    Atelier Totori (10 hours in)
    Mass Effect (15 hours in)

Not to mention some Wii games like Xenoblade and The Last Story. One month is not enough ;)
    edited March 2013
    Oh, man! You should totally play it. Not sure what you think about action games, but the gorgeous videos, music, and origins of Dracula make the whole ripped-off gameplay totally worth it. And it's pretty lengthy too.

I'm smack in the middle of chapter 2! I started it specifically for this. I'm liking it well enough so far, The story is pretty cool and the locals are GORGEOUS, but I do still miss the Igavanias. Haha.

On another note, I'm really happy people are responding in force to this!
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I'm in. The timing on this is pretty great for me outside of the fact that I will be watching a good chunk of basketball myself. But most of my shows are on break, GoT doesn't start until the end of the month, and I just started two games yesterday so I don't have to feel like I'm gaming the system coming in with something that's got a good chunk done already. And this already has me changing my plan of skipping the Nightmare in North Point dlc for Sleeping Dogs because that half point could be precious. I like that. So here's what I'm thinking to target for myself.

Dust: An Elysian Tail
    Started yesterday for the Year of Downloadables.

FTL: Faster Than Light
    Also started yesterday. From what I hear each individual game is almost short enough to maybe count it as dlc. But it can also take several attempts to beat so maybe full game if it takes long enough? I'm curious to hear opinions on this.

Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare at North Point
    Beat the main game last night (shouldn't count) haven't started the dlc yet.

Fire Emblem Awakening
    Still early going on this (Chapter 13 I think?) and I could use the encouragement to pick up the pace.

Pushmo
    This is the one I'm farthest along with. I've been playing it in short and often long separated bursts as intended but wouldn't mind tearing through the rest with Crashmo out.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Won't start it until I'm done with FTL but if I really knuckle down on both I think I have a slim chance of squeezing this in as well.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan
    Hahahahaha! Yeah, sure. Nevertheless if I can finish off FE inside the month I'll be starting this up and it meets the criteria being released in late Feb.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
    edited March 2013
    HyphyKezzy wrote: »
    FTL: Faster Than Light
    Also started yesterday. From what I hear each individual game is almost short enough to maybe count it as dlc. But it can also take several attempts to beat so maybe full game if it takes long enough? I'm curious to hear opinions on this.

My two cents: According to Steam's counter, I've spend 12 hours on this game and still haven't beaten it. Each run can take 1-2 hours, but, as everyone says, defeating the end boss is extremely difficult (even on Easy). If you can beat it on your first or second run through (making it closer to DLC length), you deserve a full point for triumph.
    edited March 2013
    Sounds good. I'll go with that unless others object.
    edited March 2013
    Maybe we should establish a rule of thumb rule where anything that takes 5 or 10 hours to beat should be a half point, full game or not. Anything significantly shorter than that shouldn't be worth any points.
    edited March 2013
    Sounds reasonable to me assuming FB's good with that.
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, I like that distinction. For me, I really want to work on my console backlog. That's the backlog elephant-in-the-room. I have a ton of games on my computer that I could work on too, but they're all pretty short and I don't need as much of an excuse to focus me on playing them as the longer ones.
    edited March 2013
    Rereading the rules I'm also curious, once you've been eliminated from a round are you done completely or should we continue posting stuff we beat for inclusion in the meta game? Also I'm assuming you want stuff we beat posted both here and in the Completed games list so you don't have to cross reference?
    edited March 2013
    Well, this is a competitive thread, so it's probably better to not muck it up with unnecessary discussion. The Completed Games thread is purely for fun.

And in the spirit of applying sports off-games to gaming, what would people think of a gaming fantasy pool? Basically you pick what you feel will be the best games released that year, and whoever ends up with the highest total accumulation of Metacritic ratings wins. The competition "window" would run between games announced at E3 and/or released between E3's of that year.

There may be other details, but that's the gist of it.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I'll jump in, I suppose. I've got enough games on my plate for March that I can give it a run in later rounds, but I've also got a few DLC to play that can get me an early start. Primarily on the list are Dust, Tales of the Abyss, FF6, and some Sleeping Dogs DLC. I've also got Limbo and a Borderlands 2 DLC I can crank through if necessary.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2013
    Let's see here...
    FF9, NSMB2, Paper Mario, L&O Legacies, Fire Emblem is what I'd really like to tackle this month. We'll see how much I get done.
    edited March 2013
    Maybe we should establish a rule of thumb rule where anything that takes 5 or 10 hours to beat should be a half point, full game or not. Anything significantly shorter than that shouldn't be worth any points.
    I love this, it's in. This is the perfect way to discourage game dumping with super short games. The only exception should be for actual DLC to an established game, since you never really know how long that's going to take and devs like to throw around a lot of inflated numbers.
    HyphyKezzy wrote: »
    Rereading the rules I'm also curious, once you've been eliminated from a round are you done completely or should we continue posting stuff we beat for inclusion in the meta game? Also I'm assuming you want stuff we beat posted both here and in the Completed games list so you don't have to cross reference?
    Yeah, continue posting for the meta-game, I don't want anyone left out of that. And yes, please post separately in the completed games thread and here. It'll make my life a lot easier.
    And in the spirit of applying sports off-games to gaming, what would people think of a gaming fantasy pool? Basically you pick what you feel will be the best games released that year, and whoever ends up with the highest total accumulation of Metacritic ratings wins. The competition "window" would run between games announced at E3 and/or released between E3's of that year.

I'd be down for that, sounds like fun!

Ok, now that I've gotten the questions out of the way, yesterday I finished my first backlogged game, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and its DLC, Reverie and Resurrection for a total of 2 points. I'll post my thoughts on the game in the other thread.
    edited March 2013
    Well, this is a competitive thread, so it's probably better to not muck it up with unnecessary discussion. The Completed Games thread is purely for fun.

I'd get in on this.
  • gaijinmonogatarigaijinmonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2013