If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

March (Backlog) Madness!

245678

Comments

  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited March 2013
    Are there pairings yet, or will they be announced next week? Also, do games finished now count for the first round, or only games listed during that week?
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited March 2013
    redwing42 wrote: »
    Are there pairings yet, or will they be announced next week? Also, do games finished now count for the first round, or only games listed during that week?

    Pairings are anounced next week. And games beaten this week count this toward next week and the meta-game!
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited March 2013
    I'm officially on March Break! Next week will be a game marathon disguised as a productive study week. With Ni No kuni taking about 50-60 hours for most people, I think I will finish that first. Hopefully. Fire Emblem is my main game right now and I will spend the weekend playing it to death and back. Question on points for DLC for Fire Emblem. Does any of it count for points? None of it is significant by itself. Just one map with a bit of story, but eventually I will have all of it and it will beaten a lot. Would any of that count or is it too small a chunk?

    Doesn't change my plan to play them a bunch, just wondering if I can squeeze a point from them.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited March 2013
    Just thought of this, but what happens in the event of a tie, FB? It seems probable that a pair might finish one game each for 1 point. Coin flip? Total number of hours playing in that respective game?
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I actually mention that in the first post. Ties of at least one point or more, both move on. Ties of zero, both are dropped off.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    Ok, now that I've gotten the questions out of the way, yesterday I finished my first backlogged game, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and its DLC, Reverie and Resurrection for a total of 2 points. I'll post my thoughts on the game in the other thread.

    Wait, we're starting now? Bugger! I still can't decide which game to play: Amalur, Dogma, or Witcher!
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited March 2013
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    Wait, we're starting now? Bugger! I still can't decide which game to play: Amalur, Dogma, or Witcher!

    Haha. Sorry. I should have mentioned more, we started on the 1st! But you should start Witcher! I love love love that game.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2013
    Awwww man, I feel like I'm going to fail at this already since I'm working on a review title for the site. XD;;; I should get my butt in gear and finish AssCreedII!
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited March 2013
    Didn't realize we started on the 1st. I can add Sleeping Dogs for 1 point, then. Finished that back on the 2nd.
  • SpaceLionSpaceLion Formerly kuhfuss5 Full Members
    edited March 2013
    Oh man. I didn't realize we started on the first either. I thought we were waiting to the 11th for some reason. Ah, well. Still a great idea to fight backlogging together like this.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited March 2013
    Add in the Zodiac Tournament DLC for Sleeping Dogs. 1/2 point.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I'm off to an awful start. I've been using all of my spare time to watch WBC games.
  • redwing42redwing42 Just Monika Full Members
    edited March 2013
    And Nightmare at North Point for Sleeping Dogs is also finished. Another 1/2 point.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I have only beaten Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands so far.

    Working on Dust, Tales of the Abyss and Arcanum.
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited March 2013
    redwing42 wrote: »
    Didn't realize we started on the 1st. I can add Sleeping Dogs for 1 point, then. Finished that back on the 2nd.

    Heh, same boat but a day later. Sleeping Dogs for 1 point.

    Also Sleeping Dogs: Nightmare at North Point DLC for a 1/2 point done this afternoon.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited March 2013
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    I'm off to an awful start. I've been using all of my spare time to watch WBS games.

    Gonna cut you down, son.
  • gaijinmonogatarigaijinmonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2013
    Oops, counting from the first of March? Add Dragon's Dogma (1 point)
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I'm at a touch of a conundrum.

    I've had Mighty Switch Force! sitting unfinished in my 3DS backlog for quite some time, mainly because I was hopelessly stuck on the very last level.

    Early this morning, I decided to try it again because I had just finished Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate, and I actually beat it! So, yay me in my zen like moment of concentration early in the morning when I should be sleeping, apparently. That level is BRUTAL hard.

    Anyway, here's my problem. If you add up all the times that it's recorded from when I've beaten the levels, It's, uh, really short. But I know that I've spent hours and hours trying to play and beat the game, so I don't know whether or not I should mark it, because it looks like it IS really short, but I know I've put some effort into it. Ugh.

    What do you guys think?
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    How Long to Beat says it can take 6 hrs, so it's possible, and you have credibility. It should be worth at least 1/2 a point.

    And I just got free WoW time, so I'm screwed, heh.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited March 2013
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    How Long to Beat says it can take 6 hrs, so it's possible, and you have credibility. It should be worth at least 1/2 a point.

    I think I'm good with that, unless someone has a compelling argument otherwise.
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    Im going to join in for the heck of it and see how many points i can get, I really shouldnt have picked Dragon Warrior 7 to start though
  • SpaceLionSpaceLion Formerly kuhfuss5 Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I'm at a touch of a conundrum.

    I've had Mighty Switch Force! sitting unfinished in my 3DS backlog for quite some time, mainly because I was hopelessly stuck on the very last level.

    Early this morning, I decided to try it again because I had just finished Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate, and I actually beat it! So, yay me in my zen like moment of concentration early in the morning when I should be sleeping, apparently. That level is BRUTAL hard.

    Anyway, here's my problem. If you add up all the times that it's recorded from when I've beaten the levels, It's, uh, really short. But I know that I've spent hours and hours trying to play and beat the game, so I don't know whether or not I should mark it, because it looks like it IS really short, but I know I've put some effort into it. Ugh.

    What do you guys think?

    I agree with TG, you should get a 1/2 point. I mean, the reason we're doing this is to complete games that have been sitting around for a while (too long?), right? If you spent a good chunk of time on the game overall, then it should count for something. It feels good to clear those out. So, congrats :)

    Speaking of, I just completed Borderlands (the first one). It had been laying around unfinished since BL2 came out, and this weekend I was struck with the inspiration to tackle it again. My question is similar to FB's. I only had to put in about 8-9 hours to beat Borderlands this month because I had put a bunch more time into it (25-30 hours?) when I played it last year. Does this still count as a whole 1 point or just a half point, since I had played the majority a while back?
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    Frozen already specifically stated a full game you've played a lot but just haven't gotten around to finishing yet still counts as completing your backlog, so that's a full point, although if you were sitting right outside the final boss and only needed like 10 minutes to finish off the game, I wouldn't count that. In that case, you've pretty much completed the game. I don't think we will have to worry about someone claiming the boss was uber hard and it took them hours to beat in this forum.

    QUESTION: I know we don't count MMO's in the Complete Games thread, but what about as Backlog? I bought Mists of Pandaria a few months back but never played it. So long as I clear every part of the game I can possibly bring myself to beat at least once (and even without the optional stuff that can still take weeks), I would consider that clearing out my "backlog", even if you can't "officially" beat an MMORPG.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I didn't even see this question eariler in the thread. Sorry, lolwhoops, I wasn't ignoring you, I promise!
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    Question on points for DLC for Fire Emblem. Does any of it count for points? None of it is significant by itself. Just one map with a bit of story, but eventually I will have all of it and it will beaten a lot. Would any of that count or is it too small a chunk?

    Doesn't change my plan to play them a bunch, just wondering if I can squeeze a point from them.
    I'm a little iffy on giving points out for that. If it was like a 5 or 10 map pack, I'd probably allow it, but just one? I think I'm going to have to say no.
    kuhfuss5 wrote: »
    Speaking of, I just completed Borderlands (the first one). It had been laying around unfinished since BL2 came out, and this weekend I was struck with the inspiration to tackle it again. My question is similar to FB's. I only had to put in about 8-9 hours to beat Borderlands this month because I had put a bunch more time into it (25-30 hours?) when I played it last year. Does this still count as a whole 1 point or just a half point, since I had played the majority a while back?
    Oh yeah, dude. No problem. That's totally fine.
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    QUESTION: I know we don't count MMO's in the Complete Games thread, but what about as Backlog? I bought Mists of Pandaria a few months back but never played it. So long as I clear every part of the game I can possibly bring myself to beat at least once (and even without the optional stuff that can still take weeks), I would consider that clearing out my "backlog", even if you can't "officially" beat an MMORPG.
    Honestly, I don't know crap about MMOs. I'm going to ask other opinions on this, but I'd say that stuff like 'Mists' should at least be good for half a point because it's really just DLC... Expansion pack, whatever. (You say tomato...). But I'm definitely willing to hear opinions on the matter and change my mind if so compelled. Let me know what you think.

    Alright guys, So here we are, The pairings and points for the next week! First round eliminations will be done next Sunday, March 17th. So lets get cracking on that nasty backlog and do what damage we can!

    Good luck to everybody!

    ---

    EndofPi
    Frozenbabylon - 2.5

    redwing42 - 2
    Nim - 1

    HyphyKezzy - 1.5
    Nyx

    GaijinMonogatari - 2
    kuhfuss5 - 1

    lolwhoops
    Lassic

    ChickenGod
    TG Barighm

    Paws
    AncientRune

    ---

    I'm not really in love with the idea adding someone on the list that only has 4 posts to his name, but I'm trying to keep an open mind here...
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited March 2013
    As TG's opponent, I don't have any issue with Mists of Pandaria being counted as a point. The time investment is certainly there if its anything like the other expansion packs. Good luck to you, TG!

    Anyway, I just beat my first game in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. It took about 7 or 8 hours, so I guess thats half a point.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited March 2013
    ChickenGod wrote: »
    Anyway, I just beat my first game in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. It took about 7 or 8 hours, so I guess thats half a point.
    Full retail games always count at a full point. It's downloadable games that come into a little bit of contention, I think. If I'm wrong, please let me know. But until then, 1 point for you.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    Chicken? With 4 games being only 10 hours long? I'm so screwed.
    Full retail games always count at a full point.

    I'm going to ask other opinions on this, but I'd say that stuff like 'Mists' should at least be good for half a point because it's really just DLC... Expansion pack, whatever.

    MMO expansions like Mist are, in fact, full retail products.

    I'm not gonna beat Mists in a week anyway (I'm just gonna level up a monk), so no further need to discuss it.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited March 2013
    You could still get a point and tie it up somehow TG. MGR is probably the only thing in my backlog I'll play this week. At the very least I hope your WoW time goes well.
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited March 2013
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    MMO expansions like Mist are, in fact, full retail products.

    I'm not gonna beat Mists in a week anyway (I'm just gonna level up a monk), so no further need to discuss it.
    Like I said, I have no clue. So I'm good with a full point if no one else cares.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I'm doubtful I will beat many more games. Arcanum and Dust are the ones that I want to complete for now. I'm not sure I'll be able to finish ToA or some of the other games mentioned. I just bought White Knight Chronicles 1 &2, Blue Dragon, Suikoden V and Valkyrie Profile 2 a couple of days ago. Mass Effect 3 is free on PlayStation +, so I downloaded that. For every game I beat, I somehow end up with 5 new games, lol.
Sign In or Register to comment.