If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Fantasy Gaming Pool (Interest thread)

TGBarighmTGBarighm MemberFull Members
edited June 2013 in Miscellaneous Gaming
Like Frozen's March Madness idea, I thought it might be fun to run a fantasy pool for games.

The general idea behind fantasy pools in sports is you pick whatever players will have the best season, and then their stats. are added up to create a final score, or something along those lines.

The same idea will be applied here except participants will be trying to pick the best GAMES of the year. The final score is based on the game's overall Metacritic rating. For example, if one of your games scored 8.5 and your second 7.0, your score would be 15.5. Participants will create a list of games, I'm thinking 10 games plus a couple "extras" in case substitutions need to be made, and whoever has the highest score "wins". Not sure if there will be a prize. I have some old 360 and PS2 games. Maybe I'll send one to the winner. Well, that's not the important part.

There will be a gaming draft. Participants will take turns choosing from the top "seeded" games to add to their list. I'm sure we'll have fun determining what games should get seeded. Once a participant chooses a top seeded game, it can't be added to anyone else's list.

Not all games will be considered, but there is generally no restriction on what games you can choose. As long as the game gets a respectable number of critiques on Metacritic (say, 10?), it counts. Even if it's a silly mobile game. If a game you choose doesn't get enough ratings...well, that counts as a zero. Sorry, but the onus is on you to pick both the best games and those big enough to make the list; however, if you're worried your game won't make the cut, you may make a substitution from your sub. list at any time (also pre-chosen). So long as the game hasn't been judged yet, it's still "fluid". This holds true for games that are unexpectedly delayed outside the contest window or canceled altogether: you may sub. those games out.

Rereleases and ports don't count. If you know the PC version of a game scored well, you sort of have an idea of how the game will score on a console. It's just not the same.

The contest will run between the start of E3 to the next E3.

FAQs I totally made up:

Why Metacritic ratings?

Because it's the best way to objectively score games. Gamers have taken to assigning scores of "0" lately as a means to drive the score down, and I can't play every single game out there to score them myself, so I can't trust reader reviews. I also need a place where I can see all the scores in one shot. And I just know Metacritic.

If anyone has a better way to score the games, I'm all ears (or eyes in this case).

Why from E3 to E3?

Because that's where many game announcements come from and the Autumn release dates are pretty sparse before an E3. Games also tend to get moved around, and most games released after the New Year are holdovers from the previous year anyway. While not all games announced at E3 will come out any time soon, it also tends to showcase previously announced games that are about to be released. When you're creating your lists, you will want to review as much game footage as possible to determine how good it will be.

So long as a game is not critiqued before E3, it falls within the contest window and will count (even if the game was announced years before or is released with days after E3). If a game from a previous window falls directly before E3, it counts as part of the previous contest window.

Why a game draft?

Because it would totally suck if all our lists looked exactly the same, save for 1 or 2 differences. Let's face it, we'll all pick Watch Dogs, so I want to prevent that somewhat by hosting a draft. It won't be very big and should fall within 1 drafted game per person. I haven't decided on all the details yet. It depends on how many people participate.

Not all details have been finalized yet because I'm sure there are some kinks that need to be ironed out, but for the most part that's the contest.

So, who is interested? I'm hoping for at least 5 people.

Comments

• AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited March 2013
    That's not a bad idea. Are you including DLC (major DLC only, like Mass Effect: Omega or Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare)?
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    Nah. Adding in the Metacritic ratings of DLC sounds like an extra, and unnecessary, headache. I'm only judging the game that is, not what it may potentially be after all DLC is released. DLC releases can last years and potentially go outside a game's window.

And no, you can't choose DLC itself as an entry to your pool.
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I'm in.

I like the draft. Also a thought, maybe not for this year but if it works well and takes off in the future. You could treat game genres like player positions so just like you draft a quarterback, running back, receivers, etc to fill out your team you'd have to draft a couple RPGs, platformers, FPSes, etc.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I'm in for this. I love the idea!
    edited March 2013
    I like the draft. Also a thought, maybe not for this year but if it works well and takes off in the future. You could treat game genres like player positions so just like you draft a quarterback, running back, receivers, etc to fill out your team you'd have to draft a couple RPGs, platformers, FPSes, etc.

I like it, but yeah, let's see how the basic idea goes first. I also want to avoid some of the sports comparisons as much as possible. I know some people around here will see "sports" and just stop reading.

Actually, now that I think about it, this sort of game would work well at places like GameFAQs and GS where members tend to argue about what score a game will get, but I don't like those forums. :P
    edited March 2013
    I'll need a few more people AT LEAST to make this worthwhile.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I'll join.
    edited March 2013
    Still need a couple more people.

How about we pick some games coming out until now and E3 just as a warm up? Nothing official. Pick what you want. Maybe establish some guidelines for yourself to practise. The official game will get a new thread anyway.

Anyway, I'll pick the following from the 360 release schedule, but the guidelines I'll give myself are only 1 game per release week; however, I won't force myself to pick a game on weeks with no or minimal releases:

Week of Mar.10: Darkstalkers (sub)-79
    I'm betting on it being improved over the original, although I'd like to pick Darkstalkers; by the normal rules, remakes and rereleases wouldn't count.

Week of Mar.17: Gears of War Judgment-80
    The new Walking Dead game sounds pretty good, but Gears is a much safer bet.

Week of Mar.24: Bioshock Infinite-93
    Not many choices for this week anyway.

Week of Apr.14: Injustice: Gods Among Us-82
    Potentially losing out on points by skipping the last week, but I don't see any releases there.

Week of Apr.21: Dead Island Riptide-66
    Hoping beyond hope this game will significantly improve on the original and not just be an extra long expansion.

Week of May 12: Metro Last Light-82
    No other choice, but again, I'm only choosing one 360 title a week as a warm-up.

Week of May 19: Resident Evil Revelations-77
    This is gonna be good! It's a port though. Can't use it the official contest.

Week of May 26: Fuse-67

After that is E3.
    edited March 2013
    Howzabout a quick 1,2,3 top pick for March, April, and May from me.

For March I'll go with BioShock Infinite. Just barely edging out Gears of War. Call it a hunch.

April I'm going with Soul Sacrifice. It looks like a good game to me and should have more mass appeal than Soul Hackers. Most of what I'm seeing left after those for April is ports, dlc, or Star Trek cash in.

And May I'll go with Metro Last Light. Even slimmer pickings here than in April.

Actually, slim pickings all around up to E3 really. Since I was only choosing one a month I avoided ports and dlc but that left April and May really empty. Glad we'll have a years worth to pick from when the real thing gets going.
    edited March 2013
    Yeah, I'm thinking of allowing ports and re-releases under the following conditions: if it's a port packed with brand new content entirely unique to that edition of the game (like, say 10 hrs. extra and tons of other stuff) or if it's a remake of a very old game (like the new Darkstalkers) that is appearing for the first time on that particular platform.

Note on multiplatform releases: you don't have to pick which platform. Just pick the game. You get the highest score available. I don't want people fretting about which version of the game is the best, just the game itself.

Doesn't matter though if I don't get at least 2 more people.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    Count me in.

I never have joined a fantasy football league in the past (despite living in Wisconsin), but I was always curious about it. ;) This seems like a fun distraction.
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    so for the first half we can pick what we want even if someone else has it, because everyone knows Bioshock Infinite is going to have the highest metacritic score, i like the idea for a test until e3 when all the big stuff gets announce and we will have a clear idea of what to pick.

Anyway im going to do a few picks even though some of them already have scores

Luigi Mansion 2
    Monster Hunter Tri Ultimate
    Pandoras Tower

il add more when i have time
    edited March 2013
    Sign me up.
    edited March 2013
    Yay! Met the minimum, but it's just the minimum. I could still use more players. I'm sure a few people will drop out when it comes time to make actual lists.

And I wonder what's holding up the ratings on Ghost Warrior 2? Well, a complete lack of ratings may indicate nobody is reviewing because it sucks or because something is wrong. I'm not sure, but this is a chance to test the "sub" system, so I'm swapping it with the new Darkstalkers game. Only a few ratings so far, but sometimes it takes time to get them in. Maybe 10 ratings is too many? I may revise the rule to "10 minimum or at least one major publication". I'm just trying to avoid games that are rated by sites so small they might as well be reader reviews.
    edited March 2013
    ONLY 79 for Gears? Lots of people bemoaning the removal of Horde mode.
    edited March 2013
    How are you going to handle multi-platform games? Averaging out the score, pick the highest of the multiple scores, or treat each version as a separate score?
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    How long are you going to wait before "scoring" a game? Metacritic scores decrease over time because those likely to give a negative review do not receive review copies. This statement is original flamethrower research - which is not allowed on Wikipedia but is allowed on RPGamer forums.
    edited March 2013
    How are you going to handle multi-platform games? Averaging out the score, pick the highest of the multiple scores, or treat each version as a separate score?

I'm just going to pick the highest score available. Your goal should be to pick what you think are the best games, not what you feel are the best games under certain circumstances. There usually isn't much deviation between the scores anyway, and if there is a problem, it's because of a bad porting job or unexpected glitches due to the platform (a la PS3's Skyrim). I'm not gonna penalize people for picking the one version of a game that is unexpectedly bad due to some issue nobody anticipated. Besides, choosing based on platform is an extra headache.
    How long are you going to wait before "scoring" a game? Metacritic scores decrease over time because those likely to give a negative review do not receive review copies.

I noticed. While checking the Metacritic ratings for Judgment, I saw a lot of the more negative reviews appeared to be no better than your standard reader review; however, I have to consider both angles no matter how biased and it's not like professional reviewers are saints. It can be argued smaller outfits are less likely to be influenced. The best I can do is assume a smaller site is still professional enough to get a review out within a week. A cut-off point of a week worked well enough for Darkstalkers Resurrection: the rating stayed at 79 even after a week (it's at 80 now but I'm not gonna change it).

I may make an exception for super small indie games that need weeks to gather reviews rather than throwing down a score of 0 outright (or wait for the first major publication review), but that's it. That rule is there to discourage people from picking games exclusive to niche gaming communities (such as RPG Maker games) or random me-too games (like social gaming clones or web games), but I'm not gonna punish the people who actually do pick those games. Afterall, they might pick the next Angry Birds.
    edited May 2013
    Only one month away! This is the time to talk about Draft Order. It's the part where we discuss which games will be the top picks, what SHOULD go first, and all that stuff.

Personally, I don't think Watch Dogs will be the #1 overall pick. Ha! Let's see what you guys make of that.

Also, I need to see who is still interested.
    edited May 2013
    I don't know how drafts work. I really should be studying this...

But throwing out a couple predictions here. I think that Metro: Last Light will probably crack the 80s, but I doubt much higher than that unless the devs really took the criticisms of 2033 to heart. And while I really want it to do good and be completely awesome, Remember Me is probably going to languish in the 60-70 range. I'll probably still move it, but I'm a damn sucker for cyberpunk anything.
    edited May 2013
    The hype for Remember Me just isn't sticking with it for some reason. It's like everyone feels this game is gonna suck.

The draft works by having participants take turns picking the top games. A drafted game can't be chosen by anyone else and is designed to prevent all of our lists from looking exactly the same. I can't determine how long the draft should be until I have a better idea of who is participating. At the moment, with 5 people, I'm thinking two rounds at 10 games chosen (2 per participant). Randomly chosen order.

Sports guys tend to spend weeks discussing draft orders. Mostly for fun, but also to discourage someone else from picking your top pick.

Speaking of which, why does everyone think Watch Dogs is gonna be so great? It doesn't look much different from a GTA game. Sure, you can cause accidents, but is that it? Everything else looks like the standard drive around, shoot'em up gameplay. I can see it getting into the low 8's, but that's my maximum number on it.
    edited May 2013
    Oh, for reference, here is what looks like the top games for next year (so far, need E3 to get a true idea):

Watch Dogs
    Civilization 5
    Grand Theft Auto 5
    Assassin's Creed 4
    Batman: Arkham Origins
    Last of Us
    Pikmin 3...?

I'm sure there are some great handheld titles in there but I haven't been following them.
    edited May 2013
    I think Watch Dogs is getting a lot of attention due to the hints of its hacker abilities, outside of changing street lights. We haven't seen much, but the potential is there. It looks cool, but I don't think it will score high once it's released. GTA5 seems to be the bell of the ball at the moment, with The Last of Us following closely behind. That may change once Sony and Microsoft announce their launch title games.

Edit: So how do we get a draft order going? Do we get everyone to pick their top 10 or 20 games, combine and order them by most voted game among us or do you have something else in mind?
    edited May 2013
    I'd like to add Saints Row 4 to the list, but it sounds like the devs are focusing too much on the silly stuff and are forgetting the things that made SR3 so great (ie. the silliness of the missions added lots of variety while staying true to the core formula), so I'm worried SR4 will be one of those "good but missing something" type of follow ups.

I also think The Sims 4 will be great, but it could suffer the same fate as Sim City. I know the "world of cities" thing doesn't apply the same way, but they could easily do the same with all the Sims assigned to regions or something.

*Nevermind. Turns out The Sims 4 will NOT be an online game: http://www.gamespot.com//news/the-sims-4-does-not-require-internet-connection-6407967?

I don't know anything about Pikmin 3 except that the first two were very well rated and it's well worth being a top 5 pick. The thing is, the third game is a complete reimagining of the formula...or so the game's description says. Again, I have no idea.
    edited May 2013
    I had to reread the OP because a 10 game draft pool seemed really small. Makes sense now that I've realized it's just for the consensus most desirable games though and after that our lists can have duplicates. Out of curiosity, how many games total are you thinking for each persons list?

I'll try to come up with some thoughts on what should be in the pool the next couple days. A quick Googling for upcoming 360 games did get me to this (ewwww!) IGN list which seems like it could be helpful. You can hit that top games tab and get some sort of hype meter which I assume is generated by reader responses as well as easily switch to look at the different consoles and handhelds. I'll dig through it soon and try to get back to you shortly.
    edited May 2013
    Out of curiosity, how many games total are you thinking for each persons list?

I'm still not quite sure because the number of participants isn't final. As of right now, with a minimum of five participants (if we can't maintain that number I'm not gonna do this), I'm thinking of 12 games with a reserve list of 5 or 6 games. I want it to be just enough games you can't rely solely on popular AAA releases, but not so many games it takes some effort to build a good list (because effort scares away internet people like citrus does my cats). I know the release calendar looks a bit sparse right now, and this is probably not the best time to start this sort of thing, but it should improve as E3 comes and goes.

As for the draft, I'm thinking 2 rounds for five people, so 10 picks with every participant getting two top picks. That seems fairly reasonable given there are usually around 10 very well reviewed games in a year (and I'm just talking about Xbox/PS3 releases; I don't follow the other games well enough).

I'm not sure how to handle "out of nowhere" games. You know, those games nobody knows anything about until it's suddenly announced a month or two before its release? Or games like FUSE, which was announced with minimum details, and then suddenly throws a bunch of info. at you and it looks like a very cool game. I want people to be able to consider these games, but you can't consider what you don't know about. Maybe I can add a "bonus" game people can choose at any time so long as it is not a reviewed game.
    edited May 2013
    I'm using this list for my draft list. It was updated a few weeks ago and, even though it still has games on it that were released in the last week or so and some ineligible games, it seems to be the most complete list that I could find pre-E3.
    edited May 2013
    Motherflippin Fuse is a lot of fun. I didn't think I'd like it then the demo just knocked it right into my most wanted list!
    edited May 2013
    I'm using this list for my draft list. It was updated a few weeks ago and, even though it still has games on it that were released in the last week or so and some ineligible games, it seems to be the most complete list that I could find pre-E3.

Hopefully they update that list after E3 because that is very handy.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited May 2013
    I'm still in, but I might be a bit late with my prediction list. It won't matter much because the game I'm going to list are all late releases.