If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Square Enix Looses Dragons Upon the World Again

madhtrmadhtr RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited March 2013 in Latest Updates
Square Enix loves dragons, lots of blood, and is hoping there are many more fans of it. Dragons, and swords, and erotic undertones, oh my?!

A wild story link appears!
Facebook
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I would like to see what this game looks like.
  • madhtrmadhtr RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2013
    The Gematsu source has some scans, but I think it might be all CG. There is supposedly gameplay screens in the full scans, so hopefully we'll get to see it soon. Apparently doesn't look great, but the first two didn't look good even for the PS2. The site is also supposed to open soon, so maybe they'll have a trailer for it.
    Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • storino03storino03 Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I played the first one. I got it when it came out and thought it was decent enough. Interesting story. I haven't played the second though.
    www.backloggery.com/storino03
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I think the exact thought that I had when I read this news was "Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!"

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

As someone who though that Nier was a vastly inferior follow up to this series, I'm glad that they're going back to what was awesome in the first place!

So excited!
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    No Sawako Natori. :(

Keiichi Okabe. :(

Two strikes... but still, I must be optimistic.
  • KiralynKiralyn Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    The music in the game will be handled by Keiichi Okabe, who handled the music in Nier as well.
    Woohoo!
    The game stars a Utautai named Zero, who can control magic through the use of songs. The player's power increases when exposed to blood splatter. Another character announced is her sister, One, whose personality is directly opposite of Zero. Zero has a flower growing where her right eye should be, and her left arm is artificial.
    .... O_o

Ah, those wacky Japanese. :)
  • FudorahZubatFudorahZubat Monster Lover Full Members
    edited March 2013
    My great big list of 'games that I thought would never happen' is one entry smaller.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited March 2013
    My year has just gotten better.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • esukoesuko Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    So happy that some of the old Nier team members are getting together for this game.
  • madhtrmadhtr RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2013
    It warms my cold heart to see so many people excited for this game. I can't wait, and really hope it gets localized.
    Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited March 2013
    Never played the Drakengard games but I liked Nier. I'll be following the progress of the game, if it gets a Western release.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited March 2013
    As I read on Gematsu it seems that the female protagonist Zero is a sexual beast.

http://gematsu.com/2013/03/drakengard-3-announced-for-playstation-3

Read carefully.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    First I ace my final this morning and then this? Man, today is on the track to being best day of 2013!
  • HeideggerHeidegger New Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    Well, I certainly didn't expect this. I would be tempted to pick it up, but the gameplay of the first hasn't exactly aged well. Unless they've improved it significantly it's going to be a pass...despite the fact the premise has stirred my morbid curiosity.

RE: Lord Kaiser, "A flower grows on her right eye, and her left arm is an artificial one. She doesn’t mind having a relationship with a number of men."

Ah yes, the stilted, abrasive phrasing that can only come from an authentically shoddy translation.

'“It’s not Drakenguard or Nier,” said creative director Yoko Taro. “If you’re expecting that, you’ll be disappointed.”'

So the third in the series isn't actually a Drakengard game? Huh, the logic behind the evolution of the 'Final Fantasy' series is beginning to become clear.
    edited March 2013
    Yeah it could be a mistranslation... I had not seen a promiscuous female protagonist on a RPG before. This game could be a mold breaker!

*Update*

the website is open with new screenshots.

http://www.jp.square-enix.com/dod3/
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    wow it looks like a ps1 game
    edited March 2013
    Yup it looks like a HD remastered PS2 game.... Only a strong story can save it.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    That blonde must be a descendant of Manah. The resemblance is just too obvious.

Anyway, I just want to say that every time someone says that a game "looks like a x game" I get really excited, especially when it's an RPG or action RPG. It means developers are developing smarter and limiting resources that are spent purely on graphics. This means both more resources for the more important components of a game, and more opportunity for financial success.

It should of course be noted that the developer, Access Games, has mostly worked on PSP titles. I suppose they're best known as the developer of the Lord of Arcana games published by Square.
    edited March 2013
    LordKaiser said:
    Yup it looks like a HD remastered PS2 game.... Only a strong story can save it.
    If graphics were all we cared about, we wouldn't be able to play older games. Graphics don't bother me...is the game fun enough to keep me playing, that is the question. Also, the graphics remind me of Bayonetta's graphics, so I don't think we'll have a problem on that front.
    User Database Check
  • coyotecraftcoyotecraft Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I was hoping for Legend of Dragoon 2.
    edited March 2013
    Square had nothing to do with the first one so I dont know why I keep seeing people say this, there shouldn't be any sort of confusion here. 2 different companies, styles of game, basically everything.
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2013
    Jormungand said:
    Anyway, I just want to say that every time someone says that a game "looks like a x game" I get really excited, especially when it's an RPG or action RPG. It means developers are developing smarter and limiting resources that are spent purely on graphics. This means both more resources for the more important components of a game, and more opportunity for financial success.
    I'll strongly agree with this. The biggest problem with this last generation of consoles was the almost complete lack of good B-tier budget titles that focused on giving interesting gameplay rather than pretty graphics. And, honestly, I'd be quite worried if Drakengard 3 tried to have amazing graphics. The most important thing for a Drakengard game is being able to see a thousand enemies beneath you stretching as far as the eye can see as you fly overhead roasting them with dragonfire. Drakengard 1 and 2 were not pretty PS3 games by any stretch of the imagination and they still struggled with that. I'm pretty sure there were moments in Drakengard 2 where the draw distance for enemies was shorter than Legna's attack range.

I'd much, MUCH rather see them try to create a game with gigantic battlefields large enough to seamlessly combine aerial dogfighting and elaborate ground missions with a great draw distance and gigantic enemy count, rather than see yet another game that give us small environments and tiny number of enemies just for the sake of more detail than is really necessary.
    edited March 2013
    DarkRPGMaster said:
    If graphics were all we cared about, we wouldn't be able to play older games. Graphics don't bother me...is the game fun enough to keep me playing, that is the question. Also, the graphics remind me of Bayonetta's graphics, so I don't think we'll have a problem on that front.
    In the case of Drakengard they have to improve on the battle system and not make the same mistake as Drakengard 1 where the same button of spells was the same button to execute combos. Also in Drakengard 1 you didn't see your allies on the battlefield.
    edited March 2013
    LordKaiser said:
    In the case of Drakengard they have to improve on the battle system and not make the same mistake as Drakengard 1 where the same button of spells was the same button to execute combos. Also in Drakengard 1 you didn't see your allies on the battlefield.
    Drakengard 2 had that same problem on the 'not seeing allies on the battlefield' thing. I think it'll be just the two of them with them in different areas at once, so we may not have that problem this time.
    User Database Check
    edited March 2013
    Update 3 The prologue:

http://gematsu.com/2013/03/drakengard-3-website-opened-debut-screenshots

In the distant past, the dark ages swept the world with wars and tyranny, and the Utautai goddesses appeared before its suffering men. With the ability to manipulate magic through song, the goddesses subdued the world’s feudal lords and peace was brought to a rough earth. The goddesses were revered as Utahime (songstress), and were entrusted to govern the world.

The Utautai known as One has a strong will to bring peace and stability to the world. She is the person who will unite the goddesses and stand on top of the world. But one day, her older sister Zero appears before her with a dragon. Zero, too, is an Utautai, and the strongest of their kind. Why did Zero appear before One? Why does she fight alongside a dragon? What exactly are the Utautai? Dark clouds hang over the world once more.
    edited March 2013
    Yep, sounds like this game will be VERY interesting, especially considering the stories of Drakengard 1 and 2.
    User Database Check
    edited March 2013
    Makes me think that it takes place before the first two games. Hm.
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    The Deadly Premonition developers are making this? Deadly Premonition Developers. Really? I... what?
  • kensheekenshee New Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    So, plot revolves around magic songs and the music is handled by the same person who did Nier's soundtrack?

That's a winning combination right there!
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I have to say it's neat they are reviving the series but honestly this felt like one that shoulda stayed sleeping

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D