If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Staff Review - Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk

NyxNyx Staff Girly GirlRPGamer Staff
edited March 2013 in Latest Updates
Sometimes taking a magnificent journey may lead us to the promised land. "A promise is a promise," and Ayesha shows RPGamers the true value of keeping them.

Staff Review

Comments

• PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I only tried it for about an hour but the gathering seems a lot better than in the Arland trilogy.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for the detailed review.
    I'll probably pick this up on sale someday.
  • AirikAirik Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I think one thing the review neglected to mention is that the game is very atmosphere-heavy, in the best way possible. It's incredible all around; the final dungeon as a whole is noteworthy in that regard, and I'm glad you mentioned MARIA, the final boss theme. I'm very interested in seeing where this new world goes in subsequent entries, as the background and lore is very fascinating.
  • ironmageironmage chaotic neutral observer SaskatoonFull Members
    edited March 2013
    Interesting review. I found Rorona amusing, but the fairly relaxed central story wasn't really my thing, so I didn't come back for Totori or Meruru.

But, if Ayesha has a strong narrative, perhaps I should give it a try. Pity about the voice-acting, though.
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
  • aquagonaquagon Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    By the way, should it also be mentioned that anyone who isn't satisfied with this game's music that the DLC pack that was recently released covers not only the entire Atelier series, but also pretty much all of the games Gust has released during its history, including arranged and Japan-only preorder albums?

Of course, there are a few exceptions to this:
    - The Ar tonelico games
    - The Welcome House games
    - Ares-ou no Monogatari
    - and finally, Ciel Nosurge.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited March 2013
    Reading your review, as well as a couple others, indicates to me that Ayesha is worth a try Nyx. Added emphasis on story, atmosphere, spruced up combat, and a little simplification to the alchemy seem reason enough to give the PS3 Ateliers another shot. In spite of my best efforts I couldn't get into Rorona and passed up the proceeding games just like ironmage. Definitely gonna rent it soon.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
  • RyumoauRyumoau Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    aquagon said:
    By the way, should it also be mentioned that anyone who isn't satisfied with this game's music that the DLC pack that was recently released covers not only the entire Atelier series, but also pretty much all of the games Gust has released during its history, including arranged and Japan-only preorder albums?

Of course, there are a few exceptions to this:
    - The Ar tonelico games
    - The Welcome House games
    - Ares-ou no Monogatari
    - and finally, Ciel Nosurge.
    i should be used to it by now, but i still get annoyed when developers release stuff like costumes and music as dlc and charge for it. They always feel like things that would have been unlocked for free back in the ps2 era. :(
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau
  • PawsPaws BEARSONA RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2013
    Let's not have too much of a rose tinted lens: it would've been cut due to time or budget in the PS2 era.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited March 2013
    Paws said:
    Let's not have too much of a rose tinted lens: it would've been cut due to time or budget in the PS2 era.
    Ah, but rose-tinted glasses are what gamers are ABOUT! If we can't romanticize the old days like the decrepit, nostalgic old farts we are, how are we EVER going to have our fun?

[video=youtube;nLm6zu__rZ8]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited March 2013
    Ryumoau said:
    i should be used to it by now, but i still get annoyed when developers release stuff like costumes and music as dlc and charge for it. They always feel like things that would have been unlocked for free back in the ps2 era. :(
    And as an aside, the normal music is still perfectly accessible in the game. The DLC just unlocks pretty much all of the music the Gust composers and arrangers have made since the Atelier Marie days. And I'd say that it's quite a bargain: 2.99$ for a number of albums that would amount easily to beyond 200$, some of which can't be even found or bought anymore.
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    never been able to get in these games something about being level 20 and only have 30 hp bothers me
    edited March 2013
    I've played the game for a while now and have to say I don't mind the voice acting. Better than Rorona/Totori imo(never tested the English for Meruru).
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2013
    Meruru had the best voice acting in the Arland trilogy, IMO. I'm not sure whether I hate Totori or Ayesha's English voice acting more (the specific characters, not the overall VA), since I switched Totori to the JP track within the first half hour.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    edited March 2013
    I hate Totori more for sure, she isn't spectacular by any means but I don't mind Ayesha's voice.
  • SpaceLionSpaceLion Formerly kuhfuss5 Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I still need to finish Totori, but this looks even more promising.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2013
    Well, since Ayesha and Totori are very obviously not in the same continuity, you could try this one anyway and not have to worry about any potential spoilers ;)

Also, I agree with Airik; the atmosphere is really what made this game great. It's always interesting to see what the Atelier team will do with a new branch of the series, but I was not expecting post-apocalyptic by any means. The designers did a good job of it.
  • SpaceLionSpaceLion Formerly kuhfuss5 Full Members
    edited March 2013
    GaijinMonogatari said:
    Well, since Ayesha and Totori are very obviously not in the same continuity, you could try this one anyway and not have to worry about any potential spoilers ;)
    That's a good point. It's on my list. I guess I'm just feeling the pressure of my backlog, when it comes to buying more games in a series I'm already backlogged in. That hasn't always stopped me before, but we'll see.
  • hoktomasterhoktomaster Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    Iv been playing it a lot, Iv just got a bit into the second year I just hope I'm not wasting a lot of time, as I haven't really been progressing the story a lot.
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster
    edited March 2013
    By the way, here's something interesting for everyone out there:

http://news.dengeki.com/elem/000/000/612/612962/
    http://gematsu.com/2013/03/new-atelier-game-announced-full-reveal-next-week

It's an announcement on the next game of the series, although the full details won't be revealed until the next Dengeki issue gets published this March 28th.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2013
    Yup, right on schedule. One thing I like about Gust is that it is incredibly regular in its game releases. :) I bet the official release date is the last Thursday in June (6/27)
  • kensheekenshee New Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    Am I missing a pun, or is there just a typo in the name of the game right at the start?
    "What does it mean to make a promise? Promises are made in a wide range of scenarios, but in the case of Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dust"

Dust? :)
    edited March 2013
    By the way, this might not be directly related, but I think it's an interesting piece of news anyway:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/03/19/atelier-totori-plus-for-vita-listed-on-gamestop-in-the-u-s/

Atelier Totori+ has just gotten released over here as a DD-only game, although without any sort of announcements or mention.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited March 2013
    Many are mad that it don't include double audio. How much worse would be if the next game would become digital only. Just imagine the uproar.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • hoktomasterhoktomaster Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    If we get that over in the UK I'm gonna buy a vita for it
    I wouldn't even bother to Eat that coz your already dead

My Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/hoktoshinkenmaster
    My Livestream http://www.twitch.tv/hoktomaster