If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited April 2013 in Staff Review Blogs
The Diary of Wheels the Hunter

Day 1:

Arrived in the village of Moga way out in the boonies to answer the call for some hunter work. These villagers are way too chatty. They got monster induced earthquakes and yet they waste time pointing out some mundane things. My first job involved killing some hapless herbivore and taking the meat to the son of the chief.

I didn't ask for this.

Day 2:

More real work today, had to hunt down some raptor type creatures to convert to resources for the villagers. Wont this lead to overpopulation of the lizards I was killing on day one? These villagers don't seem to be on top of things. Oh well, supposedly they're using these resources from the jaggi to build base camp for future operations.

...wait what? They're building a base camp using lizards and not like wood?

Day 3:

Finally, the guild is open now that base camp is all set. My first real work is collecting mushrooms. Not what I signed up for, but those jaggi I angered the other day kept pestering me so it wasn't without some excitement. I ran into some kind of village of cats while exploring a cave though. I didn't know what to make of them.

Oh I neglected to mention the villagers gave me some sort of tablet, it allows me to maintain all my vital data without blocking my vision of the battlefield. Neato!

Day 4:

Tasked with taking down more Jaggi today (bigger ones this time) that were bothering the village. I wonder what has them all hot bothered? Could it be the hunter you sent to harvest them for resources? I wonder...
Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
sig.gif

Comments

• AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited March 2013
    Just so you know, I am enjoying the diary post.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited March 2013
    Just so you know, I am enjoying the diary post.

Wheels the Hunter appreciates your candor
    sig.gif
    edited March 2013
    Day 5 - What a terrible night to have a curse ... the curse being these pesky villagers who talk way too much. I'M AN EXPERIENCED HUNTER. I KNOW HOW TO GATHER RESOURCES. Yikes. So the villagers sent me off collecting monster guts. Specific right? Since they rejected the goat livers I collected I asked them exactly what they wanted. Apparently monster guts from sea monsters (why didn't they tell me from the start!). I went to work and as I neared the required gut count suddenly some sort of giant sea monster appeared and began to hunt me down. Apparently this is one of the monsters that has been terrorizing the villagers. Finally a real challenge! ...except I was already exhausted from collecting these guts so I had to flee. NEXT TIME

Day 6 - The villagers finally got me this strange "transfer" device they promised me. Its about time! My friend across the sea had written to tell me he had already received the device on time. It lets me hunt in other places, where things look less defined but have more depth. Interesting!

Day 7 - More resource gathering, why would they request world class hunters and yet make us do this? I think I should take a break and go do so group hunting in the city. These crazy villagers don't seem interested in fixing these monster induced earthquakes any time soon.
    sig.gif
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited March 2013
    What sort of weapons does Wheels the hunter hunt with? I have a strong preference for shooting things in the face.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
    edited March 2013
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    What sort of weapons does Wheels the hunter hunt with? I have a strong preference for shooting things in the face.

Wheels the hunter enjoys shooting things in the face with his Gunlance!
    sig.gif
    edited March 2013
    Day 8 - Villagers sent me off to some sort of desert area to collect guts from some strange shark type creatures that live in the sand. They were easy pickings and it further begged the question as to why exactly this needs to be the work of a pro hunter? It almost seems like they have me clearing out these areas for some nefarious purposes. Anyway, I managed to collect the guts with ease.

Day 9 - Sent off to investigate some sort of fairy roaming the woods. Not sure what the creature I found was, but he followed me back to town after I protecting him from all sorts of Jaggi and what not. He has ...a funny way of speaking but I can't complain! He's now going to follow me to jobs and give me a helping hand.

Day 10 - Villagers sent me off to capture a bear. I'm a bit worried as to what exactly they're going to do with this bear, but hey, I gotta get paid right? My new fairy thing follower, who I'm going to call Bob, came along. He added some boomerang throws and a healing herb or too to my gunlance assault on this bear and successfully we took it down! ...By take it down I mean we actually killed it, which was not what we were supposed to do. Whoops.

Day 11 - Bob and I had another go at capturing one of those bears and had more luck this time. Huzzah! Bob was pretty excited I guess. I never know what that guy is saying. Afterwards I decided to take a little break from hunting, and upgraded my gunlance using the giant stack of Jaggi body parts I've acquired over time. Speaking of which, the villagers want me to take out some more of the big ones that are terrorizing the forest (their words not mine). These things are going to go extinct if this keeps up! I'm planning a trip to the city to hunt some bigger game, these villagers are driving me nuts.
    sig.gif
    edited April 2013
    Day 12 - Off to the big city to hunt with others! I left Bob (he keeps telling me his name is Cha-Cha but I'm having none of that nonsense) back at the village). Met up with a group of hunters, who said very little but together we took down some giant thing that rolled around in the mud, a barroth or something, and a dragon. There is nothing like hunting dragons! Bob is going to be jealous, or happy, who knows? I have no idea what that guy says.

Day 13 - Back to the village. Villagers needed some of those mud things taken care of. I can't see why, what threat are they? They just roll around in the mud and seem to mind their own business. Oh well, took care of them anyway and made a new gunlance from their bits. Hmnn maybe its shell would make for some good armor? Hmnn....

Day 14 - I am become death, destroyer of barroths

Day 15 - Equipped with my new armor I headed out to defend the village from that giant sea monster that is apparently the cause of the earthquakes. My equipment served me well through this long and arduous fight. I guess Bob helped too or something? We managed to chase him off but he'll be back. They ALWAYS come back.

Day 16 - Went to the tundra to fight an almost indescribably weird beast. Hiding in the caves, it looked like a cross between a worm and a wyvern and seemed to be very fond of poison. In fact, it had me going through my ENTIRE stock of antidotes. Little help Bob? Eventually the thing went down but I do NOT looking forward to fighting another one.
    sig.gif