If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Skype D&D group?

lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accidentHalifaxRPGamer Staff
edited June 2013 in Saving Throw Gaming
Hi people! I have a skyping thread that got a few responses. It's here and I encourage more people to add me so we can chat about gaming and maybe find mutual topics of interest! I like talking and will gladly talk to anyone who wants to be my internet friend. :D

Having talked to someone else I know I had this idea. She plays D&D with a group on Skype. I know there are some pen and paper RPG types and role players around here and so I thought I would like to try. Basically we could set aside a few hours a week to play and have fun. Is anyone interested?

Here are some things to consider:
-Not everyone knows how exactly to play. Rules people and a good DM is needed.
-I will assume that the group is mature enough that most things 'go.' As in, try not to be offended by the role playing.
-Until things get into the right groove, patience will likely be needed.
-Someone will need to figure out how exactly playing through skype would work. I just heard a friend mention it, I don't actually know how it works. :D
-What resources would players need? Dunno. Anyone else know?
-Friends of yours and you like doing this but they're not on this forum? Well, maybe invite them along?

So as a completely uninformed wannabe role player I am interested. Anyone else?
lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
this is my twitter! come twit with me

Comments

• XR2XR2 Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I've done this before. It's not as good as gaming I person, but sometimes compromises need to be made. I don't remember the other software we used. We had some kind of mapping software with a grid and tokens we could place to track terrain and movement. Die rolls are another issue since they can't be easily witnessed.

But, most importantly, you need to know the style of game you want. You could play a tactical game that requires the grid and dice constantly, or you could play a more cinematic game that may not even require a map.

Also, of you are talking DnD, there's always a quest of which edition: 3.5, pathfinder, 4e or Whatever they are calling the next release.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    Or you could try talking to those of us in the RP forum.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I like 4th, and roleplay is depending on the players and not the game.
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited March 2013
    I'll be honest saying I know very little. I'm glad to see replies and I sent you a PM TG which you will probably notice eventually. :D

As for rolling dice, I remember AIM used to have a way to roll and IRC can do rolling too so I figured maybe something can do it for skype? Well, I guess if it really came down to it we could just honour system the rolls or something. What's the point of cheating in a game that's about being a fantasy version of yourself?

Is this kind of idea feasible at all? Would something like voice chat help immersion and role play? Can everyone have voice chat on at once? Maybe just the DM? I'm new to skype and new to this idea in general. I do remember playing WoW and there were those chat programs that guilds used. Man, I should probably have thought this out more before asking about it, but I'm not really knowledgeable enough to even venture a guess.
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    edited March 2013
    I'll be honest saying I know very little. I'm glad to see replies and I sent you a PM TG which you will probably notice eventually.

Yeah, but it's Easter and I'm the designated cook in the family.

Personally, I've never really liked instant messaging gaming, but then, I'm so used to PbP I've just gotten used to having the luxury of typing what I want to say instead of putting stuff out there as quickly as possible.
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited March 2013
    Seems like a good idea. This kind of stuff is always tempting to me because I haven't had a chance to do some good old fashioned pen and paper stuff in decades and I used to have so much fun with them. I've always been somewhat curious about the PbP stuff here too but never really feel comfortable committing to it. It's not uncommon for me to have chunks up to a couple months long where I don't really have much time to post and I can't really predict when they'll hit either. I'd have similar issues with something like this so I couldn't do it myself but I could see it being fun if you could get a good group together.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited March 2013
    I always thought instead of using skype someone should program a small chat system that support showing all the character stats and has inventory management and can roll damage and stuff automatically.
    edited March 2013
    We sort of did that with a German board game PC release. We repurposed the die rolls and stats to support D&D, then we used the board game tiles to craft the dungeons. We could only play it once every few weeks, but it was fun.
    edited March 2013
    I've actually wanted to try the play by post sort of thing since I used to do it when I was but a wee teenager, not that I was great at it, but it doesn't seem like I could just nudge my way into any. Plus there's not really a lot of activity in that front really.

If we were to try we would really need a good leader. I'm pretty good as an idea man, but I'm a noob at this so I would likely lead our group to the bottom of a big pit of internet death. Coordinating schedules and such you can really figure out later. First we need to figure out a rule set that could really work well in this type of setting and all that pre-gaming jazz.

Oh, I got a question that might be relevant: Does anyone know much/anything about how D&D online works? Could we make an RPGamer group/have we already? If I remember right it's FTP, which certainly fits my pocketbook. Man, this is another idea I should have looked up before hand. See this is why I don't lead.
    edited March 2013
    Too bad you weren't around a couple years ago. We had all that stuff.

Well, if you don't mind experimenting with weird and whacky gameplay mechanics, I could certainly use more people in the 33 test game.
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited April 2013
    What was that game we played a few years ago with Soulweaver, TG? Hero Quest or something like that? I like that one. If it could be updated with a better UI and a level editor it would be boss.
    edited April 2013
    Something like that. I think Soulweaver said it did have those abilities, but the version she gave us didn't have those functions translated out of German yet. I asked her about the possibility of doing it again, but she is seriously busy right now.

I sure enjoyed playing the wizard who bleached his beard, heh.
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited April 2013
    http://www.kitana.org/playground/heroquest/heroquest.html

This looks similar to the one I was talking about, but it looks to have been updated since we last played it.
    edited April 2013
    The problem I have with play by post is that it's so SLOOOOOOW. A single day in the game can take months!

It also makes stuff like complex puzzle rooms almost impossible, because it's not very enjoyable when the puzzle will take months to solve, just because after every step the game master has to give feedback if some light went on or something.

I designed a game just recently with the intention to make it PnP, but it ended up with so many puzzles that I realized it would take too long to be played through play by post. So instead I put it to my video game designs as idea for a short RPG.
    edited April 2013
    Yeah, I pretty much gave up on puzzles, although that's more from my players uniting against me on their use.
  • EtheronEtheron New Member Full Members
    edited May 2013
    I would like to join but I honestly prefer 3.5 I have the books on pdf's

Addtionaly we could use maptools for our board and would anyone like to be a DM
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2013
    Please use the edit button instead of double posting. It feels unloved when you do not.
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2013
    while we're doing moderator stuff, I'm just going to slide this over to the tabletop section. cool? cool.
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    I've been playing campaigns online with Skype and Maptools for some time, including one that ran for well over a year to level 17. There are tradeoffs, but IMHO they are worth it. Last night we had one of the best sessions ever.
    edited June 2013
    *RP forum gives JC puppy dog eyes*
    edited June 2013
    I think I agree with TG here.
    edited June 2013
    Puppy dog eyes?
    edited June 2013
    RP forum feels unloved.
    edited June 2013
    LOL...Guess I'm still lost...why the puppy dog eyes at me? What kind of love would you like? :P
    edited June 2013
    I just see this talk of playing D&D games out there and I know there are a lot of RP fans around here and sometimes they talk about playing any kind of RP game with RPGamers.

But it's ALWAYS at some other site, service, or forum. Why not use your own forum?

Anyway, I just think it's kind of funny. Not that I feel its my duty to champion the RP forum or anything. I have SO done my part in giving the forum some life. Heck, I'm the reason it's here at all.
    edited June 2013
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    I just see this talk of playing D&D games out there and I know there are a lot of RP fans around here and sometimes they talk about playing any kind of RP game with RPGamers.

But it's ALWAYS at some other site, service, or forum. Why not use your own forum?

Anyway, I just think it's kind of funny. Not that I feel its my duty to champion the RP forum or anything. I have SO done my part in giving the forum some life. Heck, I'm the reason it's here at all.

Im still a little loss. One of my weaknesses is that I'm not great at reading in between the lines. But are you asking me why I don't post here more often? I'm not sure.

i do check the forums once in a while and just respond to those threads that interest me. I love pen and paper, but for me, I don't post here much because the threads are about different game systems (I just do pathfinder) or topics that don't jump out at me. I have tried to start a few threads here in the past but they never garnered any traction which is another reason I do not frequent more often. Interestingly enough I still get new players ask to join me from my advertisement I posted here years ago.

I'm not looking to start my own forum though. I have enough on my plate. So I keep my eye on about five different ones and join or start discussions there as I feel appropriate.
    edited June 2013
    No reading between the lines necessary. Just saying it could be fun to send a few of those people this way. Maybe start a game or join one.
    edited June 2013
    Ah. I actually run two Play by posts myself. However, I run them on Paizo's boards only because they have a decent in forum dice roller. We're still using Pathfinder rules, so there's lots of rolling :)
    edited June 2013
    You really don't need your own forum for doing RP by post. You can pick ANY random forum and post there with your friends, nobody will mind, some will actually think it's pretty cool that someone does it and even ask if they could join even if the forum is completley unrelated to RPGs. =p

Man, I really would like to play something again but I don't really like the playing style I've seen on forums.
    edited June 2013
    So missing the point.