If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Skype D&D group?

2»

Comments

• JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    Wee TG, that's why I asked you to clarify. We're trying to understand your point.

Rya, I'm running two Paizo adventure paths (pre written campaigns) on their forums and they are going pretty good. My favorite is the Council of Thieves. This urban dungeon crawl lends itself well to a deeper RP experience, and that works well In pbp where we tend to have deeper RP experiences . I modified Pathfinder rules into a grid less JRPG style of gameplay for combat, eschewing normal initiative rules....as a result I'm able to breeze through most combats in a day. That group just hit level five and have been playing for almost six months.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Pre-written campaigns? Do players know the story already then?
    edited June 2013
    Pre-written campaigns? Do players know the story already then?
    LOL. No...there would be no fun in that! Only the GM reads the pre-written campaign, and then he/she runs it. Some GMs, like myself, will take liberties to add to, change and/or improvise along the way (using what is there as a foundation) whereas other GMs will run it exactly as written.

They made for busier GMs who don't have the time to develop and fully fleshed world setting, campaign plot, detailed NPCs, etc.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Hmmm, sounds interesting. Maybe I should develop such stories myself and instead of playing them as GM, send them to other GMs.
    edited June 2013
    Hmmm, sounds interesting. Maybe I should develop such stories myself and instead of playing them as GM, send them to other GMs.

Indeed. The AP's are generally 12-18 levels, and are released as a series of six books for each. Each one gives complete details for a 2-3 level adventure that advances the overall plot. Each one also tends to create and implement new campaign mechanics, different settings, new monsters, etc. They have complete stat blocks (or give the page number to the monster in the monster book) saving the GM a lot of time right there. Finally, each one also has a short story, items, new monsters, etc that adds additional flavor (and gives the GM more tools) for not only that campaign, but future ones as well.

/commercial

:P
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Wee TG, that's why I asked you to clarify. We're trying to understand your point.

My post was for Rya who essentially said "go somewhere else".

Use the RP forum. I can't make my point any clearer.
    edited June 2013
    I'd love to if we could get an integrated dice roller. You can see an example of combat on our Pbp on the Paizo forum here: The tail end of a boss fight. I like our forums better for just about everything else, especially the fact I do not have to use hashtags for things like bold and we can insert images. Bonus!

The dice roller is a deal breaker for me. Until we make one, however, I'm happy to talk about Pen and paper, especially about Pathfinder and Pathfinder Society Organize play, here on RPGamer's forums if there's interest to do so.
  • AcathalaAcathala Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    It's a shame for a sub-board that used to be used so much there is now only 3 people whom mainly use Saving Throw. TG is the only chap running any games here, and I'm very apprieciative to him for doing that..
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, I know...but that requires extra steps. And given the sheer amount of dice rolling we do, it's very handy to have it integrated on a forum where it's easy to tie the text of what's happening right next to the rolls. It's hard to go back to third party web sites once you start using it. I wouldn't say that it's the best at anti cheatin' though. It has some safeguards, but its not foolproof.

Rya wrote,
    Man, I really would like to play something again but I don't really like the playing style I've seen on forums.

You can check out one of mine...I find that the RP is deeper than traditional, but the tactical battles either have to be changed/watered down a bit to a more JRPG style, or they slow down way too much. Overall, I really enjoy them.
    edited June 2013
    Best I can offer is the die roller in my sig. I did use fancier forums at one time or another, but I've yet to encounter one that could completely eliminate cheating. It seems like rolling myself is the only way to keep things under control, and I'm pretty sure a lot of players cheat. Or you can try my 33 rules which are designed to allow for a minimum amount of die rolling and info. to keep track of.

I find posting two rounds greatly speeds up combat. Players posting more often also helps a lot and is really all you need to keep a PnP game going at a decent pace.
    edited June 2013
    Posting two rounds? How does that work, exactly?

The challenge in playing Pathfinder, d20, etc in Pbp is that combat is very tactical. Players are used to using grids, and making decisions once they've observed what other do before them. Add to that the fact that initiative rules tell you who goes in what order...and you can see where things can come to a screeching halt if it's Bob's turn, and he's out for the day. Then when he finally posts, Amy is missing.

JRPGs, on the other hand normally have the player put in the entire party's moves all at once, and resolves it as a group versus the monsters. I adapted that mentality, along with mandatory posting times (8-11, 11-2, 2-6). The players all declare their attacks, all at once. At the end of the posting time, I resolve their actions, with the monsters right after. Like most JRPGs, I don't use a grid..but list general distances to enemies. It works pretty well, once players get used to it. I had to make house rules to handle sneak attack, AoE spells, etc...as those things are very reliant on exact positioning. Outside of that, we're still using the bulk of PF rules. It runs about 50-75% slower than my typical 4 hour/week groups, but I do enjoy the deeper RP.
  • AcathalaAcathala Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    I like Saving Throw, I really do. I just wish more PBPers liked it.
    edited June 2013
    There was a time we were doing a lot better, but everyone decided to grow up I guess, heh.
    JRPGs, on the other hand normally have the player put in the entire party's moves all at once, and resolves it as a group versus the monsters. I adapted that mentality, along with mandatory posting times (8-11, 11-2, 2-6). The players all declare their attacks, all at once. At the end of the posting time, I resolve their actions, with the monsters right after. Like most JRPGs, I don't use a grid..but list general distances to enemies.

Sounds like you've been doing what I have for the last 10 years.

I execute two rounds of battle per update instead of just one. Players have to give me two rounds worth of actions before I update, although I sometimes take one if the situation gets very tricky and they need more precision. It forces players to think ahead a bit instead of just reacting to what happens, and that helps them learn a bit about battlefield strategy. They grumble about it sometimes (they think I make it too difficult for them to adequately assess and react to the situation, but given how often I see players go down in the face of the slightest bit of tactical execution, I insist they're just not preparing well enough), but we all agree it speeds things up considerably. If I can get multiple updates within a day, sometimes long battles can be resolved with a couple of days instead of the weeks they used to take.
    edited June 2013
    Ah. That does sound like a good way to go.

I enforce certain posting times...they know the monsters get their turn at certain times whether or not they posted their actions. :P Recently, I softened up the guidelines a little bit by allowing them to do 2 actions in a round if they missed a previous round (but I warned them that abuse of the rule will not be allowed). So, we do 3 rounds/weekday.

Anywho, I'll see if I can stir up a little conversation :P
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, I don't wait for players either, although my rule is 3 of 4 players is good enough to update if the last is holding things up. Well, when I had 4 players anyway. It's harder with 2 of 3 players.
    edited June 2013
    Stolen shamelessly from their site...
    PaizoCon 2013 is three non-stop days of gaming, panels, workshops, banquets, and (most importantly) fun! Rub shoulders with your favorite Paizo Publishing employees and freelancers and game with your favorite people from the paizo.com online community.

3-Day Badges are available for $50 in advance ($55 at the convention). In addition, the ever-popular Paizo Preview Banquet will be held on Saturday, July 6 and tickets must be purchased separately. Banquet tickets are $25 and are limited!

We're also hosting a Paizo Preview Banquet to show off upcoming Paizo and Pathfinder products, as well as super-secret things that we've been dying to tell you about! Additionally, members of the Paizo staff, PaizoCon 2013 Guests of Honor, and other hobby industry luminaries will be seated throughout the banquet hall, giving attendees the opportunity to chat with industry professionals. Banquet tickets are $25 each and must be purchased separately. You must purchase a PaizoCon 2012 3-Day Badge in order to purchase tickets for this event. This event is limited to just 350 attendees, so act fast if you'd like to attend.

I know for my part I will be one of dozens of Pathfinder Society tables running there.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    The saddest part about all that activity in this thread is we got no skype d&d club formed during or after it. :(
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
    edited June 2013
    Well, I did say that I have possible opening in one of my pathfinder games if someone wants to commit to the campaign. It's not d&d, but its close lol