If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Disney Shutters Lucasarts

Comments

• Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2013
    This will only come as a shock to journalists and fans; one of my clients is already gearing up to announce one of their licenced titles, and have been working on it for a while now. The minute Disney acquired LA they've been selling licences. I can think of three titles I expect to see at E3, with more being announced by the end of the year.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited April 2013
    so much for disney being intrested in lucasarts adventure...then again the licensing model could make it easier for Ron Gilbert or Telltale to make more games.
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited April 2013
    This will only come as a shock to journalists and fans; one of my clients is already gearing up to announce one of their licenced titles, and have been working on it for a while now. The minute Disney acquired LA they've been selling licences. I can think of three titles I expect to see at E3, with more being announced by the end of the year.

Yeah, I posted the article before they added the update about Disney switching to a licensing model.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited April 2013
    Paws wrote: »

I'm no client, and I'm not really shocked either. LucasArts has been nothing more than a rubber-stamping company for the Star Wars license for quite some time. Disney already has the rubber-stamping facilities in place, so LA is redundant as all hell.

That said, I love how Disney's trying to spin this as leading to better Star Wars games. Considering 99.995% of licensed games are absolute garbage, I think it's safe to say that we'll actually see a dip in quality in SW games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 16
    deleted.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited April 2013
    The smart thing to do would be to hire Crytek UK to make Battlefront 3.

Again.
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited April 2013
    Consider for a moment that the last LucasArts game was Kinect Star Wars. Not the best note to go out on.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    edited April 2013
    smacd wrote: »
    My anger is misplaced in that I think about the LucasArts from 20 years ago rather than the LucasArts of yesterday.
    Shaymin wrote: »
    Consider for a moment that the last LucasArts game was Kinect Star Wars. Not the best note to go out on.

So much this and this. I think in a lot of ways I'm excited at the idea of vault titles LA wouldn't let anyone touch getting enhanced remakes or even sequels. DOTT2, Grim Fandago remake. Yes please.
    edited April 2013
    I think a lot of the outcry is also coming from losing a chance to see Battlefront 3. At least half the comments I'm seeing concern Battlefront 3. I'd love to see it too.
    DOTT2, Grim Fandago remake. Yes please.

Hint, hint Mrs. Insider person?
    edited April 2013
    Just wishful thinking on those two! I got into PC gaming so late and so casually I missed some of LA's greatest games. I couldn't figure out why Guybrush Threepwood wasn't a mighty pirate!
    Ultimately BF3 and 1313 will be picked up if they were actually good games (I'm not familiar with either, so I can't comment on their quality), because someone will buy them. That's kind of how this sort of setup works.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 16
    deleted.
  • SpaceLionSpaceLion Formerly kuhfuss5 Full Members
    edited April 2013
    Early Lucasarts' made up of a lot of my early gaming memories. The Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series, X-wing/TIE Fighter, Rebel Assault, Outlaws, all the 8/16 bit Star Wars platformers, etc. Heck even the PSOne fighter, Masters of Ter
    edited April 2013
    I'm guessing, though, that the likelihood of that is slim to none.

Actually, Disney's new licensing model improves the odds a bit. Obviously they're in it for Star Wars titles, but hey, as long as they get their cut, I don't think they really care who develops what title. Maybe you can buy it from them, heh.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited April 2013
    Paws wrote: »

This really is great news for people who love classic LucasArts franchises! ^_^

LucasArts has been not much more than a husk for the past decade.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
    edited April 2013
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    Maybe you can buy it from them, heh.

I wonder how much it would take for them to part with it, honestly? Mainly just curious. That is a good point that any and everything Lucasarts' did is up for grabs, so to speak.
    edited April 2013
    Well, when I took part in that auction for the Double Dragon license $15k wasn't enough to nab it, but that's not really much of a reference. I have no idea how it ended because the lawyers didn't take me seriously (never begin a business call with "my mom and I"), but a number of winning bids for other licenses were in the $5k to $50k range. They were old NES franchises though.
    edited April 2013
    The business side of gaming is really intriguing. I love understanding how things work. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out as there is a wide variety of franchise under the LucasArts' banner. Some of whom (Monkey Island, Sam & Max) have already been successfully reborn.
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    (never begin a business call with "my mom and I")

That's awesome. That should be on a t-shirt :)
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited April 2013
    Well Sam & Max are now Gearbox
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited April 2013
    So it'll be Sega shortly.

(Got a link for that? Or do you mean Telltale?)
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited April 2013
    telltale did 3 seasons of sam & max so they should still have it.

remakes and/or vaut franchises i'd love to see are:
    Maniac Mansion
    Zak McKraken and the Alien Mindbenders
    Monkey Island
    Full Throttle
    Grim Fandango

I didn't get to play them all but i wish i had
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,