If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Combat - Indie Corner

MacstormMacstorm Ysy St.Administrators
edited May 2013 in Latest Updates
Welcome to the first issue of Indie Corner, a column where we let the indie developers talk for themselves. The focus of our debut issue is combat and how to make a fun battle system.

First Column
"The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Comments

• InstaTrentInstaTrent Opinionator RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2013
    Macstorm said:
    Welcome to the first issue of Indie Corner, a column where we let the indie developers talk for themselves.
    Great concept and addition to our line up. I love it.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2013
    Yay Indie Corner!
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • NekobasuNekobasu RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2013
    AckkStudios said:
    In a lot of RPGs I find myself only ever needing Attack, Fire 2, and Heal.
    Ayup.

I look forward to a new crop of thoughtful combat systems. It sounds like everyone interviewed is putting together challenges that I won't be able to play while I watch TV or read articles. This is a good thing.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited May 2013
    In a lot of RPGs I find myself only ever needing Attack, Fire 2, and Heal.
    One of the things that drives me nuts about D&D fans. They like to complain my 33 rules doesn't have nearly as many spells, but come on! Everyone always settles on a small handfull of spells. PnP or video games, it always boils down the same way.

I like what they did in Crimson Alliance, and I think Diablo 3 sort of does the same thing, where pieces of equipment include bonus levels to spells and abilities that can alter how the ability works (something I incorporated). Instead of having a vast array of spells you don't really use, you have one spell that can be altered in many ways, plus those ability levels are way more meaningful than +5 Strength and Stamina.