If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Staff Review - Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/ReviewerRPGamer Staff
edited May 2013 in Latest Updates
The Arisen and his pawns have been off on an excursion to Bitterblack Isle. Take a look inside to see their report of a rather eventful trip and the interesting local fauna.

[ Review ]
"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)

Comments

• RyumoauRyumoau Member Full Members
    edited May 2013
    i'm glad Arisen improved the fast travel abit by giving me that unlimited use Ferrystone and more Port Crystals. I hated how fast travel was done in the original game so much that i just quit playing it.
    i finished Arisen and found the game more entertaining than i remember, though i think the characters in DD are really boring and uninteresting. The combat is the main reason i kept playing.
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited May 2013
    Thanks for the detailed review.
    I've been thinking about buying this but I just can't overlook some of it's flaws.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2013
    So for clarification: if you've not played Dragon's Dogma, can you just buy this, or do you need to buy the original game and this? The review's a little muddy on the point or more likely I'm misreading it.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited May 2013
    From what I understand, you can just buy this. They had some issues with the game design that prevented them from just releasing Dark Arisen as an expansion pack / DLC from what I understand, so this is the entire game with the added content. I guess it'd be comparable to Persona 3 and Persona 3 FES.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited May 2013
    Paws said:
    So for clarification: if you've not played Dragon's Dogma, can you just buy this, or do you need to buy the original game and this? The review's a little muddy on the point or more likely I'm misreading it.
    This comes with the original game and the expansion. It's like DLC, but not available apart from this combined package.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2013
    Macstorm said:
    This comes with the original game and the expansion. It's like DLC, but not available apart from this combined package.
    Yup, you don't need to have played the original at all - it's all included.
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited May 2013
    I got this a couple weeks ago, and it's everything I hoped it would be. The A.I. for your companions is some of the best I've encountered (I haven't seen them do anything stupid yet, miracle upon miracles), and exploring is a blast. I've been playing as a mage, and the spells you get grow rapidly in power right off! I forget it's name, but I have one that creates a huge lightning whip that I can flail around with, and I don't think it's ever going to leave my spell list.
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactic's Ogre I choose u! Full Members
    edited May 2013
    I might give this another chance... I got incredibly bored with it the first time I bought it. After a few hours I simply shelved the game.

Might have been bad timing when it came out for me as I always have a back-log of games.
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2013
    freykin said:
    I have one that creates a huge lightning whip that I can flail around with, and I don't think it's ever going to leave my spell list.
    Oh yeah, I loved that spell. Great for taking down cyclopes or sending bandits flying. :onthego:
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited May 2013
    I still haven't taken the original game out of its shrink wrap.
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited May 2013
    Severin Mira said:
    Yup, you don't need to have played the original at all - it's all included.
    The eternal ferrystone is only included if a Dragon's Dogma save is present though, correct? I know that's the case for the 100k rift crystals.
    edited May 2013
    Pimpalicious said:
    The eternal ferrystone is only included if a Dragon's Dogma save is present though, correct? I know that's the case for the 100k rift crystals.
    Yes, that's correct. I didn't have too much of an issue finding/buying normal ferrystones when playing the original though, and you still have a fair few treks anyway.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited May 2013
    I got my girlfriend to buy me this for my birthday. I had been waiting for the original to go under $20 which just didn't happen and now I don't see it in any stores locally. I figured it would be worth it for the price and I'm pretty interested in playing it. The only thing is I heard a patch made it start corrupting save files, which makes me want to put off playing it. Anyone know anything about that?
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
    edited May 2013
    lolwhoops said:
    I got my girlfriend to buy me this for my birthday. I had been waiting for the original to go under $20 which just didn't happen and now I don't see it in any stores locally. I figured it would be worth it for the price and I'm pretty interested in playing it. The only thing is I heard a patch made it start corrupting save files, which makes me want to put off playing it. Anyone know anything about that?
    I saw something about that but didn't run into it at all despite running on that patch. You can back-up the save file either copying it to online storage with PSN+ or an external device like PC/Vita using Content Manager if you want to (dunno how easy it is on Xbox).
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited May 2013
    I personally have held off playing more due to hearing about that patch, figure I'll wait until they fix it. I've got plenty to play while I wait :).
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited May 2013
    My friend had his file corrupted on the original DD. Sadly, the game only allows one save file.
    ---
    Another RPG site just posted a less than flattering review.