If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Shining Soul - Staff Retroview

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
edited May 2013 in Latest Updates
When reviving the Shining series after the divorce from Camelot, Sega apparently decided to ignore everything that made the earlier games good. The result was a game that has aged like soda left outdoors for years -flat and filled with undesirable ingredients.
Kill 'em all.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited May 2013
    Sounds about right. The game isn't that good, and feels pretty BLEH overall.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited May 2013
    I remember trying so hard to like that game. I didn't succeed.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited May 2013
    I agree with freykin.
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactic's Ogre I choose u! Full Members
    edited May 2013
    Yeah I totally agree with this review. One of the best examples of a franchise gone sour.
  • PawsPaws BEARSONA RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2013
    I definitely liked this game more than most XD
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2013
    Paws said:
    I definitely liked this game more than most XD
    That seems to be the case a lot lately. :P
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited May 2013
    I remember Shining Soul 2 and one or two of the PS2 games being playable. I wonder if I'd still like them at all now.
  • ascii256ascii256 Member Full Members
    edited May 2013
    If I was an eccentric billionaire I would buy the shining franchise and bring it back to the glory days of games like Shining Force, Shining in the Darkness, and Shining the Holy Arc.

Since the likelihood of me becoming a billionaire are slim, my only hope is that they take a page from Capcom's Mega Man playbook and make a new Shining Force game in the old style.
  • Rya.ReisenderRya.Reisender Member Full Members
    edited May 2013
    The chances of Camelot actually making an RPG for non-handhelds is probably higher.

Shining is just a name, the whole quality of those old Shining games came from the Camelot team. Beyond the Beyond and the Golden Sun series are more of a Shining than all the new Shining games.
  • JungyinJungyin Member Full Members
    edited May 2013
    Rya.Reisender said:
    Beyond the Beyond and the Golden Sun series are more of a Shining than all the new Shining games.
    Which is why I'd like to see them do something like "Golden Sun: Forces", a SRPG set in the Golden Sun universe.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited May 2013
    I picked this game up when it launched and was stoked despite knowing it was a departure from the series. After all, it was a SHINING game. I was beyond disappointed. This game was awful.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief