If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

EA ditching online passes

ShadowcatShadowcat MemberFull Members
edited June 2013 in Miscellaneous Gaming
FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
FlOzXvF.jpg
My VAPS Entry,

Comments

• CronoCrono Member Full Members
    edited May 2013
    http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/15/ea-online-pass-ends/

That article cites them earning 10-15 million in it's "first year alone". Now to me that's a ton of money to just get for no reason but I don't know how big a paycheck EA considered it. Still, this is a push in the right direction for EA. Wow, I never thought I'd say that.
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited May 2013
    To my mind this is confirmation that both PS4 and Nextbox will give publishers the tools to block used games outright, so the passes that you'll be buying from EA will be required in order to eke out any measure of functionality from pre-owned software.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 16
    deleted.
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited May 2013
    The #1 response I've seen to this news so far is "What's the catch?". I don't know what the "catch" is, but I'm inclined to agree there is one.
    I know that a lot of gamers hate the idea of paying for online passes when they get the game used, but really the developers and publishers need to make some money off the games when they have to support the servers that the gamers are playing on.

I guess EA is gambling on microtransactions. They already think we "love" them (their words).
  • TyphoTypho Knight Errant Full Members
    edited May 2013
    To my mind this is confirmation that both PS4 and Nextbox will give publishers the tools to block used games outright, so the passes that you'll be buying from EA will be required in order to eke out any measure of functionality from pre-owned software.

Sounds about right.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 16
    deleted.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited May 2013
    I'm not surprised. Online passes didn't save THQ, and Warner Bros. abandoned them after the initial version of Arkham City was met with bad press and troubles in getting the passes out to new users. With EA abandoning the idea, all we have left are Ubi and Sony.

As for blocking used games, I wonder. I think TG is closer to being right with EA. The company's been doing microtransactions in console games for years, and they've probably seen better results (read: more money) for that than the online passes, with less bad publicity.

More than likely, Dragon Age III is going to be broken as hell unless you take in the microtransactions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited May 2013
    I'm still waiting for the announcement of DA3's multiplayer: Dark Spawn vs Heroes siege warfare! You unlock new weapons and armor the same way you did in ME3. That system worked too well for EA to give up on it now.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited May 2013
    DA3 will probably end up like what I did with DA:O which is Ultimate edition for $30! It didn't happen to DA2 which made me think that DA:O was a fluke, so no plans on DA3 until then again! :D

All I can think is EA believes it has something better for getting their cut. It's either in the works or a stronger focus on something already out there.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • kazrikokazriko Member Full Members
    edited May 2013

Given the rumors that EA's targeting the Nextbox this generation and not producing as much for the PS4, I'd say it's more that the new Xbox will have those tools.
    edited May 2013
    kazriko wrote: »
    Given the rumors that EA's targeting the Nextbox this generation and not producing as much for the PS4, I'd say it's more that the new Xbox will have those tools.

I'm not sure if those rumors can pan out. EA just spent a boatload of money getting exclusivity for FIFA (HOLY CRAP that had to be pricy) and Star Wars, and with them all but abandoning Wii U (not that their support of Wii was worth much), they're going to have to give PS4 at least close to equal love, if only to sell enough copies to make up for the massive investment they've made.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SiliconNooBSiliconNooB Member Full Members
    edited May 2013
    smacd wrote: »
    I know that a lot of gamers hate the idea of paying for online passes when they get the game used, but really the developers and publishers need to make some money off the games when they have to support the servers that the gamers are playing on. And the used game market money goes to Gamestop or the ebay seller, etc- everywhere BUT the developer/publisher.

They already have the money made from the original purchase to keep servers running. Charging for online passes basically amounts to coercion and theft.
    Lusipurr.com: One man's monument to himself!
    9 out of 10 Dentists recomend UNDERBOOB!
    edited May 2013
    They already have the money made from the original purchase to keep servers running. Charging for online passes basically amounts to coercion and theft.

Pretty much. It speaks of the rampant entitlement complex of the industry itself that it believes it has the right to be treated differently from every other entertainment industry, or indeed every other industry period. It's not the gamers' or GameStop's fault that game development has become the wasteful money sink it is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited May 2013
    I feel similar to SN and Masterchief regarding this particular issue. Honestly I rent many of the games I play, and its frustrating when multiple costs pile up. Being ask to pay not only for the rental, but in the 360's case Xbox Live, on top of a pass just to play a game whose sole purpose I acquired to play online with other people is just ridiculous. What reason is there to put up with such a practice when other competitors offer the same incentives for free?
    edited May 2013
    A lot of people are attributing the Xbox One's "used game fee" to be the main reason behind why EA ditched the online passes. That wouldn't do any good for games released on the PS4...unless the PS4 also blocks used games, or there is some truth to that quickly dismissed rumour about all next gen EA titles becoming Xbox One exclusives.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited May 2013
    EA as a company are pretty much non issues for me. Everything they do seems to be purposely designed to make me not like them. Luckily I don't play sports games since they have the market on that pretty much in their back pocket.

Also I think PS4 is going to use a similar thing to XboxOne for used games. Sony will say "it's there but not required. Only used if publishers want to" and everyone, including themselves, will use it.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • TyphoTypho Knight Errant Full Members
    edited May 2013
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    or there is some truth to that quickly dismissed rumour about all next gen EA titles becoming Xbox One exclusives.

The hilarity if this comes to pass.

The only brand I care about under the EA banner is Bioware, and I don't care enough to put up with those anti consumer policies. I definitely don't trust Bioware enough to buy their games without playing them for a good long while before committing to it.

As lolwhoops stated, I'm not entirely sure Sony will be innocent in this matter either. Their answers when questioned about it were a little too political.

It's definitely going to hamper my gaming workflow, since I usually rent games I am interested in through gamefly, then if I like them I buy them. If both companies do this, then I'll have to rethink how I buy games. There's no way in hell I'm taking chances on a $60 game I know nothing about, unless I'm a huge fan of the series or something.
    edited May 2013
    I've regretted buying most games I picked up through word of mouth, so I hope to heck it won't be as bad as it sounds, but yeah, I'm also betting the PS4 will do the same thing.
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    just a small update on this: EA is even ditching passes for current gen games. including ones they already released
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
    edited June 2013
    Shadowcat wrote: »
    just a small update on this: EA is even ditching passes for current gen games. including ones they already released

Why ditch them retroactively? Man, how much of the online pass truly WAS the brainchild of Riccitello?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    not sure but I found more news:
    http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/13/ea-online-pass-staying-dead/

Apparently it's a PR nightmare...
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, I think we can all now agree that this has more to do with Riccitello's departure than anything else. Johnny Boy didn't seem to care that the company's reputation (and stock price) went into the toilet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2013
    If they would just make some really cool DLC ultra cheap and make it front and center (aesthetic stuff), then the people saving a few dollars buying used would put that money back into the game anyway.
    edited June 2013
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    If they would just make some really cool DLC ultra cheap and make it front and center (aesthetic stuff), then the people saving a few dollars buying used would put that money back into the game anyway.

Pretty much. "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar" is one of the oldest sayings ever, and it's embarrassing that it's taken this long for companies to drop the vinegar approach.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]