If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Nyx's Gaming Woes

NyxNyx Staff Girly GirlRPGamer Staff
edited June 2013 in Miscellaneous Gaming
So, I've had massive gaming ADD this month. I have 91 games in my backlog, and I've been struggling to find games that will keep my attention after a long day of teaching ESL. I've been playing Tomb Raider & Ar tonelico 2 (almost done this one, stupid Raki glitch), and so far they have done an all right job of keeping me interested. Problem is, once I beat them both, I don't have a clue what to play next. Here's a few titles I've got in my backlog that I've been contemplating:

1) Koudelka (PSX) - Started this one and I'm on the second disc. Ended up being distracted by review work.

2) Fatal Frame (PS2) - Borrowed this from a friend, never played it before. Seems like it would be short and amusing?

3) Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (PS3) - Got 11 hours into this and then my dad passed away, so I put the game aside because it depressed the hell out of me (odd, I know).

4) Alpha Protocol (PS3) - Hubby really loved this game. I started it up and it didn't grab me right away but I wouldn't mind giving it another chance.

5) The Last Story (Wii) - One of the only RPGs I have for my WiiU. Heard a lot of mixed opinions on this one.

6) Odin Sphere (PS2) - I know nothing about this game other than it is pretty.

So there's the game's I've been thinking about. I'd throw some 360 titles on there, but Fowl Sorcerous has been really into his 360 lately, so I've been sticking to consoles I've got open. Plus I have to review Time & Eternity (yay or d'oh?). Soooo yeah, thoughts on any of these?

Comments

• TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited May 2013
    1. You can live without Koudelka, so I say drop it; otherwise, you're actually fairly close to being finished.

2. Never played, but horror buffs seem to love it.

3. 50 hour game, double that if you try to do everything.

4. AP's gameplay is pretty mediocre, but the way the story is altered by your actions is very cool. It's worth going through once, but you may want to reference a guide so you don't accidentally end up with a crap build.

5. No idea.

6. 83 Metacritic rating. Action RPG. Can't say anything else.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited May 2013
    Thats a tough list there to choose from Nyx. Here's my perspective on the one's I'm familiar with:

Ni no Kuni: I can totally see why it makes you depressed, actually. That alone is one reason you might want to avoid it. Otherwise, if you're looking for a good monster catching experience thats pretty easy and traditional, this might be your game. It is long like TG says, but you'll always be making progress as you play and seeing new sights.

Last Story: Starts off slow and fairly bad in my opinion, might not be the best game to try and hook your attention. Gets better over time, but ultimately comes off as an unremarkable experience to me. Playing dress up with your team mates was one of the most memorable things about LS, and you might enjoy the faster paced battles. Its only about 20-25 hours long if you need something short, though.

Odin Sphere: Its a pretty good game to play in episodic increments, I think. Play one character, give the game a break, then play another one. Otherwise visiting the same areas and using the same items against the same bosses will get repetitive fast. The story isn't bad though, and there is a handy scene viewing feature that will fully catch you up on the story if you forget too much of it. Compared to the last two it is certainly more challenging, though.
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2013
    Odin Sphere is a great game if you can see yourself having fun rummaging through your backpack to covert all your garbage into useful items after every single fight. I absolutely loved that aspect of it, since it is a really good and elegant item management/crafting system, but it's not everyone's thing. All of the game's depth and interesting non-story elements are in that one system, so it is probably the make-or-break aspect of the game.

It's a really beautiful game, too.

The Last Story is rather fun, though I'm having trouble coming up with much to say about it. It can be rather chaotic, and battles feel a little too uncontrolled and AI-driven for my tastes, though that is probably not universal...

I don't know anything about the other ones, though. Sorry.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2013
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    I say skip all that and get a 3DS. Get yourself Pushmo and Crashmo from the eshop if you like puzzle games because they're awesome. Then on June 9th get Animal Crossing and make your town. That's my plan and my girlfriend's too, so join in the Animal Crossing! Etrian Odyssey 4 is on for 29.99, 10 dollars off the norm. There should be a big steam sale coming soon too!

Until June 2nd you can get Super Mario RPG for coins from Club Nintendo. Do that if you can!

About Ni No Kuni, if the passing of someone important to you still bothers you, you may have moments where the game just may not be good for you.

Also, Pokemon is becoming popular around here, so Pokemon with the masters?

3DS is my go to gaming machine when I come home from a long day of anything. Plop down on a couch, watch Batman and play something lighthearted and fun.

I have a 3DS and I am hardcore in love with it. This is more for my consoling woes. XD
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2013
    Of the ones I've played (Ni No Kuni, Alpha Protocol and Last Story), I think I'd recommend Alpha Protocol for you :) Even if just for Mary Elizabeth McGlynn voicing SIE ¬_¬
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    edited June 2013
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    the odd time i play my ps3 i've been chipping away at dragon's dogma dark arisen. If you could take that and skyrim and smash them together it would be sweet.

But yeah, i'm readying myself for less console, more 3ds because the new systems are losing me. Also, if you get animal crossing we should become friends in it and visit each other's towns.

omg yes to animal crossing.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    Nyx wrote: »
    omg yes to animal crossing.

I poked the dragon about that last night. You should poke him too.

Odin Sphere is an excellent game. There are 5 chapters and you replay the same levels and fight the same bosses multiple times, but that didn't get to me the way it got to others. If they were pallet swapped, would people have been fine with it? Seemed more a gaming psychology issue than a sane complaint. Hopefully you have one of the later print runs or the digital version which I think fixed the slowdown problems. Unlike ChickenGod, I recommend playing it in the fewest sittings you can handle. The plot is fantastic, but jumps around in time and setting and would be hard to follow with long breaks between sessions.

Alpha Protocol has aspects that still make it a must play in my book. It's a shooter, so you'll need to be in the mood for that.

If you have a backlog with 91 games in it, The Last Story shouldn't be a priority at all.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • ironmageironmage chaotic neutral observer SaskatoonFull Members
    edited June 2013
    7thCircle wrote: »
    Odin Sphere is an excellent game. There are 5 chapters and you replay the same levels and fight the same bosses multiple times, but that didn't get to me the way it got to others. If they were pallet swapped, would people have been fine with it? Seemed more a gaming psychology issue than a sane complaint. Hopefully you have one of the later print runs or the digital version which I think fixed the slowdown problems. Unlike ChickenGod, I recommend playing it in the fewest sittings you can handle. The plot is fantastic, but jumps around in time and setting and would be hard to follow with long breaks between sessions.

The PS3 port reduces the slowdown problems quite a bit, but they're not entirely resolved (Odette *grumble* *grumble*). The PS2 version wasn't broken by any means, though.

I'd definitely rate Odin Sphere above Ni no Kuni (good, but flawed) or Last Story (forgettable). I agree with 7thCircle, and suggest you play it in one batch. Although there are repeated levels, you're playing them with different characters, which require distinct strategies and playstyles. This keeps things from getting too repetitive.

I don't think the dub for Odin Sphere was particularly good, though, so you may want to try the Japanese language option when you're starting out (whenever you get around to playing it), and see which you prefer.
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Nyx wrote: »
    3) Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch (PS3) - Got 11 hours into this and then my dad passed away, so I put the game aside because it depressed the hell out of me (odd, I know).

Something similar happened to me when my mom passed away last month with the same game. I had only just gotten the second character when she died and I haven't gone back to it since...some things take time...

Also the financial recovery is gonna take alot longer....
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Remind me not to play Ni no Kuni...
    edited June 2013
    @ ShadowCat - sorry to hear about your mum. :(

@ everyone else: It's such a tough choice when you have 91 games in your pile. D: