If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

20 dollar super fun downloading challenge!

lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accidentHalifaxRPGamer Staff
edited July 2013 in Miscellaneous Gaming
Hi RPGamer board people and welcome to my newest brain child. With the coming of June I decided I wanted to play some downloadable fun. Not just that, I decided on a $20 limit because there are other games coming out this month I intend to get. So let's see if we can have a bit of fun with this.

I want others to join in with recent purchases and/or their recommendations on games they have played. This will help me and maybe others decide what to get for this month. Bonus points if you can get multiple (good) games in the end. Anyone know of any demos to try out for games that would fit, please let us know about them too! When you play a game, give a mini review of it. You don't necessarily need to beat it, you should if it really is good, but if you can give any insight into it for others that would be awesome of you.

So, any downloadable titles for any of the current systems is fair game. I personally have a 3DS, PS3, 360, PC and PSP, so my choices will have to come from them.

So, let's see who can come up with the most fun for the $20! Remember to include any taxes in the cost! Assume you have only $20 a month to game on and make it count!

ps- I know there should be a super steam sale coming up sometime, so some of the games may come during that period. Please note it's original cost and the sale cost for future reference.
lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
this is my twitter! come twit with me

Comments

• ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Halifax, New SealandFull Members
    edited June 2013
    For 3DS, assuming you're doing this immediately and have your eShop set to Alberta for tax reasons:
    Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages ($5.24 ea until June 20, $6.29 after) - Not one, but two long Zelda adventures - one focused on combat, the other on puzzles.
    Pushmo ($7.34) - 100 levels of puzzle insanity, plus there's probably some QR codes kicking around with absolutely EVIL levels
    Gunman Clive ($2.09) - Mega Man-style platforming in a Western setting, with a lot of modes and stunning replay value for a game with a base value of $2.
    Total cost: $19.91
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups | Nintendo World Report news editor
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Well, Terraria is 1200 MS points (less on Steam I bet) and it can easily run you into the dozens of hours. Hundreds if you build multiple character types.

Throw in Zeboyd's next game at $5 and there's $20 (ish).
  • ShadowcatShadowcat Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    D&D Chronicles Over Mystara comes out this month for $15. Pricy I know but you get two of the best arcade beat'em ups ever!
    FFXI Character name: Shadowneko Server: Quetzalcoatl Main Jobs: lvl 76 THF, lvl 95 Summoner, lvl 39 Dragoon
    FlOzXvF.jpg
    My VAPS Entry,
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    not as many people are into the challenge as I had hoped! :D Maybe we will see more later, but so far I think Shaymin has the best idea for $20 of downloadable goodies so far.

So, get out your fiscally conservative gamer hats and get in on the challenge! $20, downloadable games, spend smart, play great!
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
  • ShinseitoriShinseitori Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    TG Barighm wrote: »
    Well, Terraria is 1200 MS points (less on Steam I bet) and it can easily run you into the dozens of hours. Hundreds if you build multiple character types.

In a year where I can't seem to get into any game, Terraria hooked me for at least a solid week. It's good stuff, especially for the price ($10 on Steam).

Off the top of my head, you can also get Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes also for $10. If you haven't played that in some form over the past few years, I highly recommend it. There's a demo for it, too, I believe.
    Rise!
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    lolwhoops wrote: »
    not as many people are into the challenge as I had hoped! :D Maybe we will see more later, but so far I think Shaymin has the best idea for $20 of downloadable goodies so far.

I think the low interest had more to do with it being right before E3, and it seems like summer download sales happen right after E3 and would make this more interesting. Oddly, the sales are in waves. Steam had some nice deals last week. This week it's GOG. Sounds like Amazon has a slew of digital sales coming next week. Guess publishers don't want them competing at once.

Here's what I would recommend for $20 today (today = heavy on GOG because everyone else has crappy sales):

The Witcher 2 (GOG) $6, reg. $20
    FTL: Faster Than Light (GOG) $2.50, reg $10
    Gods Eater Burst (PS+) FREE, reg $20
    Rain-Slick 4 $4.50
    The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX $6
    Total: $19

I didn't want to go crazy with the free Live and PS+ games, but I tend to think of late PSP games like Gods Eater Burst as PSN releases not physical UMDs.

As for my purchases, last night I bought all I'll probably get from this GOG deal:

NWN2 $10, reg $20
    Startopia $3, reg $6
    Arcanum $3, reg $6
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops happy accident HalifaxRPGamer Staff
    edited July 2013
    it is now July and round two of the 20 Dollar Super Fun Downloading Challenge begins. Last month my downloading was focused on the 3DS, so I'm hoping to follow up with another system, or mix of them, this time.

The Steam summer sale is coming from what I've heard, so I'm hoping we'll see a few really good ways to spend $20 and have a great time for the month. Let's see what we can buy for this month and maybe compare who has the best haul? Let's make that money count!