If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Poll - Post E3

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
edited July 2013 in Latest Updates
Post-E3, which platform's RPG prospects look best?
Wii U
Xbox One
PlayStation 4
PC
Vita
3DS
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited June 2013
    Gotta be that 3DS. Off the top of my head I can think of A Link Between Two Worlds, M&L: Dream Team, SMT4, Etrian Odyssey Millennium Girl, Pokemon X/Y, and Bravely Default. No other system is even close to beating this line up as far as I'm concerned. Unless maybe you're into the indie scene on PC.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Pretty much my thoughts exactly, CG. From the E3 showing, it was definitely the 3DS and maybe PS4. But including all information in and out of E3, I think the PC has a good chance as well, just due to the diversity of the development going on.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited June 2013
    PS4 for home consoles, 3DS for handhelds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited June 2013
    PS4 for sure. Will probably be the only console I'll even get from that list.

Though there is a 20% chance for me to get a Wii U, but it takes more than one good exclusive JRPG for me to get it.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    The PS4 and the Xbox One don't even really have any RPGs announced for them yet. I'm sure the PS4 will have some awesome RPGs down the line, but not right away.

In terms of RPG showing, the 3DS wins hands down. It's a friggin' gold mine of RPGs right now. AND I WILL OWN EVERY SINGLE ONE DAMMIT!
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    After what happened at E3 I'm sure a bunch of developers will jump on Sony's bandwagon and we'll see more game announcements in the coming months. I also wouldn't be surprised to see a few exclusivity contracts torn up.
  • ScarScar Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    I liked what I saw from the Wii U, PS4 and 3DS.

Of those, I already own a 3DS, and will most likely buy both other systems eventually, but I won't buy PS4 upon its launch.

The Wii U purchase will rest on whether this new Smash Brothers game is better (way way way WAY better) then Brawl. I was a fan of Melee personally, and Brawl was a supreme let down (tripping...really?).
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited June 2013
    MasterChief said:
    PS4 for home consoles, 3DS for handhelds.
    This is my feelings on it as well.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited June 2013
    The 3DS for sure. So many excellent games on the horizon for it and a good number already out.
    " I think this is why aging makes humans die! "
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Well, I won't be supporting the XB1 at all and I'm decidedly not a handheld guy unless I can play the games on my home TV. I'd say it's fairly safe to presume the PS4 is going to be the dominant gamer platform for this generation. I might get a WiiU at some point when it's cheaper and has enough games that I want to be worth owning. I'll always have a PC, so I don't really worry about that front. I'm actually kind of relieved that it looks like there's only one home console worth buying this time around.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    I'm so happy to see all the RPGs coming out for 3DS, which has become my favourite non-PC platform of all time. The portability, nice graphics, 3D feature (yes, I love the 3D), and dual screen gameplay just all click with me.

PC is going to be king of the full-screen RPGs for me with all the nifty Kickstarter games and most more-commercial WRPGs coming out for it, although of course the PS4 looks to be the home of any console JRPGs that come out in the future. How many of those are made will depend on whether Japan decides to adopt the PS4 in large numbers or sticks with the handheld mania it's had since the PS2 rode off into the sunset.

(At least we know we won't have to worry about the Xbone picking up any JRPG exclusives, since it won't be available or even work if imported in Japan at launch.)
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    The 3DS for now, easily. SMT IV, Dream Team, Bravely Default, and Zelda(if you count that) all look good. (though the Vita is looking up with Ys and Muramasa coming out later)

Right now I would say PS4/Xbox One are even. All the RPG(ish) games announced as of now are all multiplat(Dragon Age III, Final Fantasy XV, Kingdom Hearts III, The Divison).

For now, PS3 is still my console for RPGs: Disgaea D2, Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD, Guided Fate Paradox, Lightning Returns, South Park, Tales of Xillia/Symphonia Chronicles
  • ascii256ascii256 Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    With all the focus on television and such, I doubt Microsoft will make an effort to make any RPG imports exclusive. I really hope Sony makes an effort to turn the Vita around, it is such a nice system.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Eh, based on lengthy discussions in other, related threads, we already know the handhelds have the best prospects. Personally, at the moment I'm only interested in two upcoming "next-gen" RPGs: Bravely Default and Monolith Soft's X, and I'd much rather have X.

I've mentioned this thought before, somewhere, but the Wii was truly the perfect platform for developing JRPGs. Because of its place in time and space, it occupied a development environment where there was a large install base despite being an "underpowered" system. In other words, developers couldn't waste millions of resources on graphics and complex engines even if they wanted to. This is where JRPGs need to happen. Of course, few developers ever went there.

Either we need an intentionally underpowered console this gen (which isn't realistic), or developers need to back off sinking resources into graphics. JRPG development, if it's to survive on consoles, has to be meticulously planned and budgeted toward delivering gameplay, mechanics, and content before anything else. They'll miss the "OMG graphics" crowd, but that's fine, because they will still reach their target demographic and be profitable (in no small part because they aren't spending so much on visuals).
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Ocelot said:
    I'm so happy to see all the RPGs coming out for 3DS, which has become my favourite non-PC platform of all time. The portability, nice graphics, 3D feature (yes, I love the 3D), and dual screen gameplay just all click with me.

PC is going to be king of the full-screen RPGs for me with all the nifty Kickstarter games and most more-commercial WRPGs coming out for it, although of course the PS4 looks to be the home of any console JRPGs that come out in the future. How many of those are made will depend on whether Japan decides to adopt the PS4 in large numbers or sticks with the handheld mania it's had since the PS2 rode off into the sunset.

(At least we know we won't have to worry about the Xbone picking up any JRPG exclusives, since it won't be available or even work if imported in Japan at launch.)
    This is pretty much where I'm at including being a weirdo who enjoys the 3D.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
    edited June 2013
    I'd switch for PC gaming, but I always have bad experiences with it. Many games won't run properly on your computer and when you try to fix it by for example upgrading your graphic driver the whole computer might not work properly anymore or old games suddenly don't work anymore. There are many issues with it, it's rare that you can play a game fluently with highest quality settings and I'm usually not in the mood to try to resolve issues with my PC for hours.

That's why I wanted to stick with consoles, if the game is for the console then it'll work 100%.

Another reason is that console versions don't force me to register somewhere, while almost all PC games these days force registration on you and I'm completely against that (if I don't want to use any online features).
  • imercenaryimercenary Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Call me ignorant, but what RPGs have been announced on the PS4 to make it crush every other system in the poll?

The sheer difference in votes (64.27% to second place's 17.78%, wtf?) makes me think the poll simply had a ton of fake PS4 votes.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited June 2013
    imercenary said:
    Call me ignorant, but what RPGs have been announced on the PS4 to make it crush every other system in the poll?

The sheer difference in votes (64.27% to second place's 17.78%, wtf?) makes me think the poll simply had a ton of fake PS4 votes.
    My guess would be mostly Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 are driving that. Granted those will be on both PS4 and the Xbox 180, but the sentiment around here seems to imply that very few people are interested in Microsofts console this time around.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    smacd said:
    My guess would be mostly Final Fantasy XV and Kingdom Hearts 3 are driving that. Granted those will be on both PS4 and the Xbox 180, but the sentiment around here seems to imply that very few people are interested in Microsofts consolr this time around.
    Part of it might be policy perception as well. A friendlier attitude towards indie developers, plus pretty much guaranteed support from Japanese developers since Japan won't touch the Xbox One with a ten foot pole.

Still, not sure how anyone can not pick the 3DS right now. There are so many RPGs coming in the next year, it's ridiculous. It's a good time to be an RPGamer.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
    edited June 2013
    That's because not everybody likes handhelds. Even if the 3DS has most JRPGs, I still wouldn't buy it because it's a handheld. If it was a console and I could play the games on TV and with a controller, then I'd have voted for it.
    Poll just shows that I'm not the only one who wants a real console.

If you remove handheld it leaves you with:
    Wii U
    Xbox One
    PlayStation 4
    PC

As explained above, let's take out PC, because it's not a real console and you tend to have lots of problem with playing games on a PC.

Wii U
    Xbox One
    PlayStation 4

Wii U has shown that it is more directed towards minigames and family games rather than RPGs. Also it's half a handheld again which is strongly discourages me to get one.

XBox One
    PlayStation 4

Now after E3 it got obvious that the PS4 is the better console in every single aspect.

--> PlayStation 4

There doesn't seem to be much reason to vote for anything other than PS4, that's why it wins the poll so high.

Edit: On a sidenote, the list is missing the Ouya. It has everything that was requested in posts above --- for TV and yet very cheap and easy to develop for. Aiming to bring good handheld games to a big TV screen. It'll probably be the last hope for JRPGs.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited June 2013
    Ouya? You'll play an Ouya, but not a handheld? Clearly a Game Boy must have murdered your family years ago.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    omegabyte said:
    Still, not sure how anyone can not pick the 3DS right now.
    Two words. You already know what they are.

Microsoft's 180 on policy has left Nintendo as the only console manufacturer that still has that in place.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    omegabyte said:
    Still, not sure how anyone can not pick the 3DS right now. There are so many RPGs coming in the next year, it's ridiculous. It's a good time to be an RPGamer.
    I decided to take another look at the 3DS RPG library, including already-released games:
    http://www.gamefaqs.com/3ds/list-48

After going through the list, I found exactly 5 JRPGs I am interested in playing.
    Bravely Default
    Bravely Default 2
    Devil Survivor
    Devil Survivor 2
    Crimson Shroud

Three of which are already out, two of which are available for less on the NDS, and one of which hasn't even been officially announced. Then there's the new Zelda game, which I admit I want to see a little more of before I purchase. I'm skeptical that it will be as awesome as Link to the Past.

So, really, there are only 2 games for sure (Bravely Default and Crimson Shroud) that would sell me on the 3DS. And Crimson Shroud is apparently super short. I'm sure I'll get a 3DS eventually because, as we all know, handhelds just get the most JRPGs nowadays. But as of June 2013? Not quite there yet. Unless someone can convince me that the Devil Survivor games are that much better on 3DS.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited June 2013
    I chose PC. Not all of the games were at E3, but here are some of the PCRPGs I'm interested in:
    Age of Decadence
    Avadon: The Black Fortress 2
    The Banner Saga (strategy rpg)
    Dark
    Dark Souls 2
    Dead State
    Demonicon
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Dragon Age: Inquisition
    Grim Dawn
    The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing 2
    The Lords of the Fallen
    Massive Chalice (even if I have seen no gameplay)
    Project Eternity
    Sacred 3
    Shadowrun Returns
    South Park: The Stick of Truth
    Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Wasteland 2
    The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Plaus many more, but 20 games will do in this list. Some of these will be on current gen or next gen consoles, but I'll most likely get them on PC.

The PS3 has some games that I want:
    Tales of Xillia
    Tales of Symphonia HD Collection
    Dragon's Crown
    Final Fantasy X/X-2 Collection (maybe)

Nothing on Xbox 360 and I'm not planning to get an Xbox One any time soon.

I don't own a Vita, but I would be interested in Muramasa and Ys. The other rpgs that interest me will be bought on PS3.

On 3DS, I'm looking forward to:

Bravely Default
    Devil Survivor 2
    Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
    Shin Megami Tensei 4

Not interested in the Wii U.

The PS4 has FFXV that I really want to play.
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    We can only go by what we know, the 3ds is atop no contest and as of now there is no way you can deny this. Imo vita is second as it has some stuff coming and stuff that could come out that is in limbo like Warriors Lair. As far as I know the big 3 rpgs for ps4 are also coming to Xbox One ( Dark Souls II, FFXV, and KH3) Kingdom Hearts is retarted so I could care less though. I also wonder if people who voted for PS4 are holding out for Persona 5 being exclusive. The Wii U is the enigma becuase as of now we only know of one (Soul Saga doesent count yet as i highly doubt it makes that goal) and we dont even know its name however Imo it will kick the butt out of anything coming in the next 5-10 years
  • jcservantjcservant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    The PC, hands down. There are some really great games like Witcher 3 and Divinity: Original Sin (Zomg...Turn based isometric? Hell YEAH), high quality indy/kickstarter efforts like Shadowrun Returns and Wasteland 2, and a few things in between. And, if you're a backtrackin' fan like I am, you have the largest back catalog of compatible, DRM free games thanks to GoG. (I'm tellin' ya, Wizardry 8 ROXZ!) Every other form of retro gaming (let's say PS2 games via the PSN or vitual GBA games via the 3DS Shop) feel much more limited and DRMd by comparison.

Anyway, there are some exciting 3DS RPGs coming out, to be sure, and it makes me excited to own that system. I love my Vita (I was really enjoying Gravity Rush on it yesterday), but I feel it could use some MORE original RPGs. I'm not super sure why PS4 got the metric ton of votes it got. As most of you all know, I enjoy, but am generally not super excited about action RPGs, so I'm not seeing a lot on the PS3/PS4/Xbox to get me as excited as the PC/3DS.
    edited June 2013
    Macstorm said:
    Ouya? You'll play an Ouya, but not a handheld? Clearly a Game Boy must have murdered your family years ago.
    What? That doesn't make any sense. Do you even know what the Ouya is? It's a console, that aims to bring all the handheld games TV lovers have missed to the TV. It's EXACTLY what I'm looking for. Handhelds have a small screen --- that's why I don't like them. You can't play them on a big TV screen. Ouya is the OPPOSITE of a handheld. Got it?

To quote the kickstarter page (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console?ref=card):
    We love console games.

There's something about a big HD TV and digital surround sound that fills up a living room.
    Shooters, platformers, sports games, arcade classics and experimental indie games just feel bigger on a TV screen. It's how most of us grew up gaming.

But maybe people are missing out.

We get it – smartphones and tablets are getting all the new titles – they're "what's hot.” The console market is pushing developers away. We’ve seen a brain drain: some of the best, most creative gamemakers are focused on mobile and social games because those platforms are more developer-friendly. And the ones who remain focused on console games can’t be as creative as they’d like.

Deep down, you know your best gaming memories happened in the living room.

You busted your *** just to find out the princess was "in another castle." You fought bosses that told you repeatedly how much "you suck." You taped a blanket to half of your screen so your friend couldn't see where you were. You traded the best players onto your team just so you could have the perfect season. And you did it all on the TV.

OUYA: The revolution will be televised

OUYA is a new game console for the TV
    , powered by Android.

We've packed this little box full of power. Developers will have access to OUYA's open design so they can produce their games for the living room, taking advantage of everything the TV has to offer.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited June 2013
    Oh, I know what the Ouya is. I'd just rather have all the handhelds in the world than an Ouya. That poor little emulation box will not be the RPG savior of the world.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • jcservantjcservant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    Agreed. Tablet games are really in their infancy. They rarely hold my interest for long since they're rarely fleshed out well (with a few exceptions like Kingdom Frontiers). Creating a way to play a small selection that's out there (the android games) doesn't excite me.

If I'm dying to play tablet games on my TV, in a way, I can. I got an IPad and I have Apple TV. It's scary, really. But, really, if I'm going to fire up my TV and stuff anyway, I may as well put in a PS game and have a full experience.
    edited June 2013
    I don't get you guys --- isn't the general consent that all the good RPGs get released for handhelds but we want to play them on a big TV and that this is the biggest problem currently present for RPGamers? The Ouya has at least the potential to solve that problem. Imagine awesome games like Golden Sun 3, Etrian's Odyssey, Third Birthday, Star Ocean First Departure, those Falcom RPGs, the upcoming tri-Ace handheld games and all the other 30 games I really wanted to have if they weren't for handhelds playable on TV! That would be true heaven.