If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Staff Review - Time and Eternity

NyxNyx Staff Girly GirlRPGamer Staff
edited June 2013 in Latest Updates
Good friends tell their girlfriends when their fianc
«13

Comments

  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Wow, that's quite bad. How did that manage to get a worse rating than all the Compile Heart games? Is it really even worse?

    On a sidenote: Would you think male players would enjoy the game's story more? =p
  • Gideon ZhiGideon Zhi Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Unsurprising! I can't understand how people would even look at the videos of this that were floating around before its Japanese release, see the whole five frames of walking animation for the main character, and think "Quality!" I mean, she runs like she's trying to keep a load from escaping into the back of her shorts.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    Oh dear :-O
    Rya.Reisender said:
    How did that manage to get a worse rating than all the Compile Heart games?
    *Cough cough*
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Ok well not all of them, but Cross Edge and Neptunia aren't really better than Mugen Souls either. =p

    Also after reading the review:
    Consistency in RPGs is exceptionally important
    Is that your personal opinion? Putting that as some kind of fact seems weird.

    I for example like it when RPGs mix hard and easy battles together, so there is the element of surprise to it (and also --- knowing when to use strong magic and when to just use basic attacks adds to strategy). Of course with a battle system as in Time and Eternity there's no much reason to do something like this, since there won't be much strategy to it anyway. Was just surprised by such a general statement.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    Wheels said:
    There's also a reason certain Idea Factory/Compile Heart games don't have reviews.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)
  • InstaTrentInstaTrent Opinionator RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    Rya.Reisender said:


    Also after reading the review:

    Is that your personal opinion? Putting that as some kind of fact seems weird.

    I for example like it when RPGs mix hard and easy battles together, so there is the element of surprise to it (and also --- knowing when to use strong magic and when to just use basic attacks adds to strategy). Of course with a battle system as in Time and Eternity there's no much reason to do something like this, since there won't be much strategy to it anyway. Was just surprised by such a general statement.
    Rya, all reviews and their contents are a personal opinion.
    "To tell you the truth, I like drinking tea and eating fresh vegetables, but that doesn't fit with my super-cool attitude. I guess I have to accept this about myself."
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    Rya.Reisender said:
    Ok well not all of them, but Cross Edge and Neptunia aren't really better than Mugen Souls either. =p
    See, this kind of the issue with looking at one site's reviews as one giant collection instead of individual reviews but a bunch of different people. I've never played Neptunia, I have no idea if it's better or not so I'm not sure what comparing that review to mine accomplishes :P.

    Back to Time and Eternity : OH DEAR
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    Rya.Reisender said:
    Wow, that's quite bad. How did that manage to get a worse rating than all the Compile Heart games? Is it really even worse?

    On a sidenote: Would you think male players would enjoy the game's story more? =p
    It sounds like the game is equally offensive towards men and women. Not to mention that one's gender shouldn't make a difference in whether one is disgusted by degrading stereotypes. I have XX chromosomes, but I am disgusted by stereotypes that portray men as drooling idiots who only care about sports and/or sex, just as plenty of men are disgusted by degrading portrayals of women.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited June 2013
    I've said this time and time again, but I'll say it yet again.

    Why Imageepoch? Why?
    " I think this is why aging makes humans die! "
  • MinneyarMinneyar Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    It's a shame this game turned out to be a disaster... I thought the concept was pretty interesting when I first heard about it, and the art's nice.

    I feel like 1/5 is too harsh for the music, though. I mean, Yuzo Koshiro! I rather liked what I've heard of the OST. I can see how experiencing it in the context of the game could drag it down, though.
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    as good as yuzo can get, there's only like 4 tracks for this game. they get old. fast.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Minneyar said:
    It's a shame this game turned out to be a disaster... I thought the concept was pretty interesting when I first heard about it, and the art's nice.

    I feel like 1/5 is too harsh for the music, though. I mean, Yuzo Koshiro! I rather liked what I've heard of the OST. I can see how experiencing it in the context of the game could drag it down, though.
    Sometimes hearing the music and then hearing it in proper context can change the entire outlook of that music. If lets say a happy go lucky song is playing during a very emotional charged screen, like a characters death scene. That would impact on the music because not just for choice but it's context has now changed and seems out of place.

    I gotta say the conept idea behind this was interesting however the trailer shown during Japandemnium made me realize this was going to be a terrible game at least artistically
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

    27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Ocelot said:
    It sounds like the game is equally offensive towards men and women. Not to mention that one's gender shouldn't make a difference in whether one is disgusted by degrading stereotypes. I have XX chromosomes, but I am disgusted by stereotypes that portray men as drooling idiots who only care about sports and/or sex, just as plenty of men are disgusted by degrading portrayals of women.
    Dunno, I think there are notable differences between the taste of men and women that can't really be denied. Out of the same reason Manga is categorizes into "For men" and "For women". There's no point tryng to equalize everything.

    But you are right in that there will always be exceptions.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    What a shame. I feel sorry for the people who had to localize this epic fail.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited June 2013
    I'm also disappointed with how this game turned out. The trailers made it sound interesting. But seeing how Nyx suffered through this one, I wouldn't bother with it.

    I guess it was at least nominated as being among the worst RPGs (ever? of the year?) in Japan when it came out. I'm rather shocked it got localized in the first place.

    And I gotta agree with Rya. Men and women are equal under the law, but we ARE different psychologically and physiologically. I don't particularly like being told what I should and should not be offended by. There are plenty of things I'm deeply offended by that are considered just fine by a lot of others even in this community, and vice versa.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    As a man though I uniquely enjoy female manga more so then male based ones
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

    27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
  • ArticianArtician Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Laughed out loud at the review score. I was truly hoping the game would be good. For some reason it reminded me of an old Saturn title with nice, crisp art. Even if it were good in every other category though I can't really get past fan-service. Oh well.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    smacd said:
    And I gotta agree with Rya. Men and women are equal under the law, but we ARE different psychologically and physiologically. I don't particularly like being told what I should and should not be offended by. There are plenty of things I'm deeply offended by that are considered just fine by a lot of others even in this community, and vice versa.
    Scientifically we're FAR more alike than different both psyciologically and psychologically, but that's a conversation for a different time. I wasn't trying to tell anybody what they should or shoudln't be offended by, although I'd like to think that most people prefer characters that aren't mostly a collection of negative stereotypes. I was trying to say that it's completely irrelevant to ask whether "men" would enjoy a game's story more than "women," especially when you're talking to a woman who found a game's characters to be degrading. That's like saying, "Well, you ladies don't like being degraded, but maybe men would like to see you being degraded?"

    Not only did this reviewer (and she's far from the only one, as I've seen the same opinion from a number of men and women who have played the game in either Japanese or English) find the portrayal of both the male and female characters to be degrading, the idea that having a ***** (edit: hey, I didn't use a bad word, I used the anatomical one!) automatically causes you to be more ok with a story that stars a man who is portrayed as a sex-crazed jerk and a woman (I'll just go with the singular here) who is portrayed as foolish, naive, and ok with that man being a sex-crazed jerk is ludicrious. Some people might be ok with this and/or find it funny, I don't know. But if I were a man, the inference that I should be more inclined to be ok with it would be offensive to me.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxFull Members
    edited June 2013
    i wasn't sure about this game at one point. It looked interesting and different....Then I saw the english trailer for it and, well, I became pretty sure. This game looked like it would be trash and I think most people who played it think it is. So, that's that, I suppose.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • kazrikokazriko Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Wow, this is significantly lower than I expected. Most of the reviews on foreign sites I've seen have ranged from 65 to 80%.

    Of course, I did tell Imageepoch I would buy it if they translated it, so I'm sticking to that even if it's terrible.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    I'd compare the content of the reviews over the score, since many sites that use a percentage scale mostly only use the top 50% of that scale.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Ocelot said:
    Scientifically we're FAR more alike than different both psyciologically and psychologically, but that's a conversation for a different time. I wasn't trying to tell anybody what they should or shoudln't be offended by, although I'd like to think that most people prefer characters that aren't mostly a collection of negative stereotypes. I was trying to say that it's completely irrelevant to ask whether "men" would enjoy a game's story more than "women," especially when you're talking to a woman who found a game's characters to be degrading. That's like saying, "Well, you ladies don't like being degraded, but maybe men would like to see you being degraded?"

    Not only did this reviewer (and she's far from the only one, as I've seen the same opinion from a number of men and women who have played the game in either Japanese or English) find the portrayal of both the male and female characters to be degrading, the idea that having a ***** (edit: hey, I didn't use a bad word, I used the anatomical one!) automatically causes you to be more ok with a story that stars a man who is portrayed as a sex-crazed jerk and a woman (I'll just go with the singular here) who is portrayed as foolish, naive, and ok with that man being a sex-crazed jerk is ludicrious. Some people might be ok with this and/or find it funny, I don't know. But if I were a man, the inference that I should be more inclined to be ok with it would be offensive to me.
    I totally understand, and I definitely get that this game is generally pretty offensive generally. There are people out there who get their kicks out of this though (it had to have a reason to be made in the first place after all), and it sounds like it was targeted at a VERY specific subset of a subset of people. The unfortunate thing is that some "people" like to see women degraded. I'm not saying that's right, but its true, and usually its men. When it comes down to it, some products are just not for everyone. I sure as hell don't want to get this after reading a few reviews and seeing Nyx's twitter comments as she played. This game just sounds like the RPG equivalent to a German shei
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    Apologies smacd, I wasn't really arguing with you (only the frist two sentences were in direct response to your post), more with Rya's line of questioning and the inherent assumptions behind it.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • kazrikokazriko Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Ocelot said:
    I'd compare the content of the reviews over the score, since many sites that use a percentage scale mostly only use the top 50% of that scale.
    That's the problem with foreign language reviews. I can't compare the contents because I don't understand the languages.

    Even if they only use the top end of the scale, that's still a 2 to 3 range on the reviews. 65 to 80% would be "lower average to average, play if you're a fan of the genre" usually for me. Since there's so few JRPGs on PS3, I tend to pick up ones that are in that average range.

    I hope it's ultimately like this review: http://www.rpgamer.com/games/lastrebellion/lastrebellion/reviews/lastrebellionstrev1.html Where there's some accuracy, but I enjoyed it significantly more than the reviewer.
  • ironmageironmage chaotic neutral observer SaskatoonFull Members
    edited June 2013
    I had a faint, lingering hope that this might have a cute, romantic storyline, and that it was just being marketed to a "broader audience". But this review makes it sound like something out of the worst kind of harem anime.

    I have no desire to replace Hyperdimension Neptunia as my worst-game-ever, so I will clearly avoid this. It's a bad sign when the high point of the review is the menu system.

    Why did NIS bring this over when there are still Sakura Taisen games unreleased?
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited June 2013
    I saw this coming from following Sam on Twitter, and I *still* flinched when I saw the score.

    I don't know whether to give you a hug or a beer.
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Shaymin said:
    I saw this coming from following Sam on Twitter, and I *still* flinched when I saw the score.

    I don't know whether to give you a hug or a beer.
    I kinda expected a 1/5 after seeing what she was saying too, but even given that I was hoping there would be some redeeming feature to give it a 1.5.

    I don't know why, but it makes me sad to see 1s.
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    kazriko said:
    That's the problem with foreign language reviews. I can't compare the contents because I don't understand the languages.

    Even if they only use the top end of the scale, that's still a 2 to 3 range on the reviews. 65 to 80% would be "lower average to average, play if you're a fan of the genre" usually for me. Since there's so few JRPGs on PS3, I tend to pick up ones that are in that average range.

    I hope it's ultimately like this review: http://www.rpgamer.com/games/lastrebellion/lastrebellion/reviews/lastrebellionstrev1.html Where there's some accuracy, but I enjoyed it significantly more than the reviewer.
    Did you know that Last Rebellion was so bad that the president of NISA personally apologized for it, and broke off their relationship with Hit Maker as a result? True story.

    http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/29/nis-americas-president-on-anime-crossovers-sakura-wars-and-ps3-development/
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • RealityCheckedRealityChecked Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    So you can tell a game by its painfully voice-over'd trailer, huh.

    I don't have an issue with the occasional fan-servicey title (although not my style for a game....maybe a manga/anime) or even sexist male/female stereotypes done in fun. Neither is that uncommon, right? However, the bottom line is this game appears poorly done from top to bottom. If you're going to make a trashy title, make it the best trashy title you can.
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    When I saw some of the original trailers:

    "Third person anime-styled shooter with seeming open world mechanic...."

    I thought wow, it'll be like Tales of Vesperia or Ni No Kuni meets Fallout New Vegas! Sounds awesome!

    By the time there was actually gameplay footage revealed, you could tell this game would be a trainwreck - it was just a question of how much of the game would be a smoldering heap. Apparently the answer was: all of it.
Sign In or Register to comment.