If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Platforms & the Industry - Indie Corner

MacstormMacstorm Ysy St.Administrators
edited June 2013 in Latest Updates
New console hype is in full swing right now, but where do indie games fit in this shifting paradigm? We have the answer directly from the developers here.

Column
"The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
Twitter @FinalMacstorm

Comments

• riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Great column! Also a good reminder that I need to look into buying some indie games for my Vita when I have a bit more money :)
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Confirms what I've been saying for a while.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Very interesting read. I'd like to hear more about why Two Brothers had trouble with the 360 development, but is considering PS3. I've heard that the PS3 was more difficult to design for than the 360. I'm pretty disappointed that their current target platforms don't include any systems I game on, and neither do their potential systems at this point.
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited June 2013
    One thing I sometimes wonder is - why do people NOT release their game for the PC? I saw very many cases where the way the game was programmed, it could be easily available for PC, yet you can only get it on iOS, XBLIG and PSN, why?

Also I really hope indie developers will NOT move to handhelds. They are my last hope after all (next to Ouya).
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited June 2013
    Every developer except one in this feature is planning a PC release, so...
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited June 2013
    If you need an example, for example the Impossible Game. The game also runs on PC, they even have a demo for the PC which proves it. However the full game can't be purchased for PC.
    edited June 2013
    Dude, they tried.

Although I'm not sure why they don't just make it available for download from their own website.
    edited June 2013
    Yeah I wouldn't get it from steam anyway (I avoid data crawlers like that). Just release it yourself on your website, payment via PayPal, done.
    edited June 2013
    Yeah I wouldn't get it from steam anyway (I avoid data crawlers like that)
    Well, there's your problem!
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    There's Desura. I think it's pretty easy to get onto if you're a developer. They don't introduce their own DRM like Steam does. They have a download manager like Steam does (it ensures your game is up-to-date at all times).
    However, it has far less customers than Steam (this is big).
    Steam doesn't insist that developers not sell their games through other services (to my knowledge), so there's no reason not to put a game on Desura, unless you're afraid of piracy (as Steam does have DRM).

Anyway, a lot of good indie games are on Desura that are not on Steam.
  • Zeboyd GamesZeboyd Games Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    flamethrower said:
    Steam doesn't insist that developers not sell their games through other services (to my knowledge), so there's no reason not to put a game on Desura, unless you're afraid of piracy (as Steam does have DRM).
    There's a great reason to not put your game on Desura if you're on Steam - it's more trouble than it's worth. It might be different for games that aren't on Steam, but my experience has been that nobody buys games on Desura. If you exclude Indie Royale (which uses Desura), we've gotten next to nothing from any of our games on Desura.
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Some of those might be worth checking out.

Speaking of indie RPGs, anyone see this? http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/disastercake/soul-saga-a-j-rpg-inspired-by-playstation-classics?ref=category
    I might support my first kickstarter.
  • PawsPaws BEARSONA RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    Rya.Reisender said:
    Yeah I wouldn't get it from steam anyway (I avoid data crawlers like that). Just release it yourself on your website, payment via PayPal, done.
    Before you quote how "easy" that is, try actually looking into what it takes to set up such a system. Secure payments are anything but easy.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    Pimpalicious said:
    Some of those might be worth checking out.

Speaking of indie RPGs, anyone see this? http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/disastercake/soul-saga-a-j-rpg-inspired-by-playstation-classics?ref=category
    I might support my first kickstarter.
    Yep, this one has been brought to our attention and we'll be putting up our first news article about it today. :D
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance