If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Zeboyd Announces Cosmic Star Heroine

OcelotOcelot is not declawedRPGamer Staff
edited June 2013 in Latest Updates
Betrayed by her own government, super-spy Alyssa L'Salle is on the run - the turn-based run, of course. That's right, it's time for a new classic-style RPG from Zeboyd Games.
Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Comments

• Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited June 2013
    That might finally be a Zeboyd game again that I actually enjoy.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Sounds like a cross between Chrono Trigger and Suikoden. I like it!

My only issue with the indie channel these days is you need a connection to play the games.
    edited June 2013
    My only issue with the indie channel these days is you need a connection to play the games.
    I'm sure it will be released for different platforms this time, because of:
    Created with Unity so that we can cover more platforms
  • bill_at_zeboydbill_at_zeboyd New Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    PC is a certainty. We're going to be targetting other platforms (PS4, Vita as well as Mac) initially as well; any other platforms we are going to see what we can do once we have a better grip on Unity.

XBLIG has been kind to us in the past, even if it's not a "huge" platform. But with the next gen launching and Microsoft's decision to stop supporting XNA, we think now is a good time to move on.

Ultimately PC is a certainty if nothing else though! :)
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Rya.Reisender said:
    I'm sure it will be released for different platforms this time, because of:
    On the other hand, they've mentioned in the past that they are unlikely to put the game on XBLIG or mobile platforms due to the performance of those platforms with respect to PC sales for the last few games. PC is pretty much a sure shot, and it sounded like Vita would possibly be a target platform as well. Who knows at this point, I don't think they've really decided.
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    I am interested!
    Although this is not a parody RPG like many of Zeboyd's previous titles...
    This, admittedly, is the main reason I haven't been interested in previous Zeboyd titles. I'm just not into parody in my video games.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited June 2013
    I like what I read and see.
    User Database Check
    Current Month and Year: March 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: Climactic Battle
    Number of Spammers banned: An ungodly number
    edited June 2013
    PC is a certainty. We're going to be targetting other platforms (PS4, Vita as well as Mac) initially as well
    Ooh. No memory restrictions on this one. Does this mean we're getting a nice, lengthy RPG this time?

Although I don't like the idea of playing on PC, and it will be a while before I pick up a PS4.
  • Zeboyd GamesZeboyd Games Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    TG Barighm said:
    Ooh. No memory restrictions on this one. Does this mean we're getting a nice, lengthy RPG this time?
    Memory restrictions don't have any effect on the length of our games.
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.
    edited June 2013
    Is that a no?
  • RyumoauRyumoau Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    looks very interesting. Hope it comes to psn.
    "To die without leaving a corpse....that is the way of the Garo"
    PSN id: Ryumoau
  • BalanceBalance Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Sounds awesome to me ! ah cannae wait!
    edited June 2013
    TG Barighm said:
    Is that a no?
    We really have no idea how long a game is going to be until it's almost done.
    Check out our new XBox 360 Indie RPG, Cthulhu Saves the World, at http://zeboyd.com or follow us on twitter (username: werezompire) for the latest news.
  • bill_at_zeboydbill_at_zeboyd New Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    At best we can guesstimate on game length.

But mainly what we want to avoid - regardless of "length" - is a game that feels like a slog. We want the game's pacing to be smooth and brisk and continuously present the player with interesting new characters, battles, choices, etc.
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Personally, I'm mostly fine with the length of Zeboyd's games so far. If anything, PA3 and PA4 were a tad too long for me.

I guess my tolerance for length of RPGs has dropped dramatically in the last few years. I'd be completely fine with what Bill describes, even if it only clocks in at 5-10 hours. Too many modern games really overstay their welcome by dragging on.
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, but when a game is really good, you don't want it to end. At the very least, not end too soon.
    edited June 2013
    TG Barighm said:
    Yeah, but when a game is really good, you don't want it to end. At the very least, not end too soon.
    Our focus with this game is quality more than length but I would like to set things up in such a way that it becomes our most replayable game to date.
    edited June 2013
    Yeah seriously, I know that if you really love a game you want it to never end, but making games longer is not always a good thing. Anything longer than 30 hours usually just gets boring. Besides it always matters how much the game costs in that regard. If it doesn't cost more than $1 per hour of gameplay then that's perfectly fine.
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    bill_at_zeboyd said:
    At best we can guesstimate on game length.

But mainly what we want to avoid - regardless of "length" - is a game that feels like a slog. We want the game's pacing to be smooth and brisk and continuously present the player with interesting new characters, battles, choices, etc.
    Did I read that right? "Choices"? Reactivity and choice tend not to be large elements in classic-style jrpgs. Is there shift in design philosophy away from more linear titles here?
    edited June 2013
    Choices also exist in JRPGs --- as in two different ways to solve a dungeon puzzle with a different reward depending on what path you chose.

Choice is actually the hardest aspect in game develop in my opinion. It was often the reason a project couldn't be finished. I'm having problems with it myself. If you want to adjust the dialogue depending on who the group met and what the group did and if they closest the door some hours earlier or not, you end up having so many variables that you will have to write pages of NPC dialogue that are all just different possibilities for the dialogue the NPC says. It's dialogue hell.
    edited June 2013
    I think there's substantive differences in choice in a game like Baldur's Gate 2, Alpha Protocol, or Torment.... and something like Tales of Symphonia (which did have some story-impacting elements like tracking affection and a plot that shifts when you change completion order).
    edited June 2013
    Yes, I agree to that. But I also think as stated above that doing something with "full freedom choice" is very hard to pull off as an indie developer, because it increases the complexity strongly.
    edited June 2013
    No arguments there. Even if it's just dialog changes (like in a visual novel) it rapidly increases the amount of text with every fork.

Of course, this is RPGamer.com, and presumably that complexity and those sorts of choice elements are part of the reason many of us are into RPGs intead of.... Madden or Angry Birds.

I was just curious if they're aiming to try something different here in that respect. I also saw Macstorm refer to it as a Phantasy Star-Alpha Protocol hybrid on twitter, and I was wondering where he got that idea from.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited June 2013
    Jitawa said:
    I was just curious if they're aiming to try something different here in that respect. I also saw Macstorm refer to it as a Phantasy Star-Alpha Protocol hybrid on twitter, and I was wondering where he got that idea from.
    The spy setting concept sounds a lot like Alpha Protocol, so with the possibility of choices tossed in as well, it just seems to fit that comparison.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • GaijinMonogatariGaijinMonogatari RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    My only question is, what happened to the first "a" in her surname? ;)
    edited June 2013
    Pretty sure Zeboyd's "choices" refer to the leveling system they have in place.
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactic's Ogre I choose u! Full Members
    edited June 2013
    I liked the description, until I started reading the thread lol.

Game length is a big factor for me... if a game is 5-10 hours, I will not buy it... not worth the money (Unless your looking at 9.99). RPG's should be about 30 hours, less than that it often feels too short. Longer than 40 hours and yes it gets too long, but a good quality game can easily go beyond that.

But I digress, my opinions on rpg features are quite old-school, and certainly not popular among rpgamers.
    edited June 2013
    scorpio_7 said:
    I liked the description, until I started reading the thread lol.

Game length is a big factor for me... if a game is 5-10 hours, I will not buy it... not worth the money (Unless your looking at 9.99). RPG's should be about 30 hours, less than that it often feels too short. Longer than 40 hours and yes it gets too long, but a good quality game can easily go beyond that.

But I digress, my opinions on rpg features are quite old-school, and certainly not popular among rpgamers.
    Our last game was 10-15 hours... and the full price was $5. It's way too early to know what the length and price of our next game will be but getting your money's worth won't be a problem.
    edited June 2013
    Yeah that's why I said it's not length what matters but rather price/length relation. I'd be surprised if the game exceeds $9.99 in cost unless it's indeed longer.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    scorpio_7 said:
    RPG's should be about 30 hours, less than that it often feels too short.
    I disagree, RPGs should be whatever length is warranted by their story/gameplay. Too many RPGs pad on needless stuff in the name of being longer just for being longer. I like lengthy RPGs as well, but have really been annoyed by some (looking at you Tales games) that don't have the content to back up the length.