If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Que And A!

Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified PolygameistRPGamer Staff
edited July 2013 in Miscellaneous Gaming
LOL!

I'm in charge of Q&A for a month because, you know, I totally think I know everything! So write your questions here, email them to jcservant at cyberlightcomics dot com , or tweet them to @jcservant . Seriously, test me! Because if I don't know it, I'm really good at making it up :P
Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!

Comments

• TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    What? Like any question relating to RPGs? Anything and everything?
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    You got it. My intelligence (and ego) know absolutely no bounds because, I know everything! WOOT! So fire away!!
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • JormungandJormungand Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    In terms of JRPGs, what's up to the sudden shift during the PS1 era to the totally arbitrary number of 3 for maximum party size? Which JRPGs defy this painfully restrictive limit, and why can't I find them?
    edited June 2013
    Oh dang! I like that question, as it's one that resonates with my own heart. :) That one definitely goes on the list.

I'll make the pot sweeter...the question that tickles my fancy the most gets a free Steam game from my list of excessive Steam gift pile. I got all kinds of games there gathering dust, looking for a good home :)
    edited July 2013
    That's it? NO more questions for me? Evil! Feed me!!
  • TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited July 2013
    Well, it's just a Q&A article, right? A simple "ask JC" thread would be more fun.
    edited July 2013
    Hehehe...right? Well, Mr Wheels needed some time off from Q and A, so I'm answering the questions from here over there. In fact, I just did my first draft bright and early at 4 am, so you KNOW it's going to be good! hahahahah!
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited July 2013
    I'll be boring: what game represents the pinnacle of WRPGs, and what criteria do you use to arrive at this conclusion? What about JRPGs? Do you use a similar criteria for those, or different? Should they be judged together?
    edited July 2013
    Boring? That's not boring at all! I bet I could write up a page or three on that alone! Now, my answer might put people to sleep....hahaahahah!
  • ironmageironmage chaotic neutral observer SaskatoonFull Members
    edited July 2013
    My question is in the same vein as Drav's, but I hope it has completely different answers.

What do you consider to be the "reference" RPGs? I don't mean the ones you like the best, or the ones which you think have the highest objective quality. I mean the games which define the genre, the kind where, even if you play them for the first time many years after they first came out, you immediately recognize them as original, as influencing many of the games that came after.

This doesn't necessarily mean the first games to do "something", but it could mean the first games to do that something really well.

I don't think I could answer this question myself for the general case, but I consider FFT to be the reference game for the tactical RPG subgenre. (I may revisit this once Tactics Ogre finds its way out of my backlog).
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    edited July 2013
    What are things that people say about RPGs in general, RPG subgenres, or specific RPGs that really annoy you?
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited July 2013
    What does the RPG genre need the most? Is it better stories? More variety in settings (ie more sci fi)? The next FF7 to make it more mainstream again?

Phil added BOOKMARK!
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited July 2013
    I got a good one I think. What does the RPG Genre mean to you?
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • Ryan RadcliffRyan Radcliff Caballero The WoodRPGamer Staff
    edited July 2013
    Two part question with the 2nd question backloaded with multiple questions! (WHAAAAAAAAT!)

1st: Can you put favoritism and bias aside?

2nd: Excluding your own personal favorite RPG Characters, answer the follow questions.

Who is the best main character you have come across in a RPG?
    Who is the best love interest in any RPG you have come across?
    Who is the best secondary character (or sidekick) in any RPG?
    Who is the most tragic RPG character?
    Who is the best villain in a RPG?
    Who is the worst villain in a RPG?
    "Rules do not exist to bind you. They exist so you may know your freedoms."
  • Alex FullerAlex Fuller Managing Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2013
    FYI, a few European RPGs you and Jumes missed. Maybe better for the reputation I don't draw attention to a lot of these though, not exactly the most beloved ones around :P

Fable series - UK
    Van Helsing Adventures - Hungary
    Anything from Focus Home Interactive/Cyanide/Spiders - France (Game of Thrones, Faery: Legends of Avalon, Realms of Ancient War, Of Orcs and Men, Mars War Logs)
    Anything from Piranha Bytes - Germany (Gothic series, Risen, Risen 2: Dark Waters)
    Dungeon Hunter: Alliance - France
    Sacred series - Germany
    Two Worlds, Two Worlds II - Poland
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2013
    1. That Wheels dude sure loves the SaGa series. Do you have any experience with them?

2. What is the best tactical RPG in your opinion?

3. Some Western RPG developers try to copy the success of Bethesda's open world games, often with spectacularly bad and buggy results. Why would they attempt this when there are other cheaper and easier templates for Western RPGs out there?

4. Ratchet and Clank as a series has had some RPGish elements, but would like to see a full-on Action-RPG?

5. Not RPG related, but what is your favorite pure platformer and why?
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    edited July 2013
    Whoa...I went out of town for a few days to help run Pathfinder Society games for PaizoCon and the forum here just BLEW UP! I'll be answering these as soon as I can!!
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2013
    I've got one from twitter for you:

"Why is Breath of Fire 2 so bad?" @falselogic
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    edited July 2013
    I have not forgot about you all. After coming back from Paizocon, and resting back up from Con Funk, I'm ready to go. My vacation starts today, and while I'll be out of town Monday through Wednesday, I have some time this weekend to work on this. I think I can hammer out another Q&A this weekend. I have a bunch of questions already, but you got about 7 hours or so to get in any last minute requests :)
    edited July 2013
    Wow...we had a LOT of questions. I only got about half here knocked out this week, and I added a book mark so I know where I left off . If you're below that, I'll knock you out (well, not you, but your questions) next time! Thank you for ALL the awesome questions!!!