If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Feature - The Perfect Pair

NyxNyx Staff Girly GirlRPGamer Staff
edited November 2013 in Latest Updates
Friendships and romances are the theme of this feature. Check out RPGamer's "Perfect Pairs," and watch out for all the Jensen and Pritchard yaoi in your search engines.

Feature!

Comments

• sabin1001sabin1001 Man vs. Slime, the fourth type of conflict Madison, WIAdministrators
    edited June 2013
    Where are me and Anna!
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Yeah, I don't get why so many people have problems with Grandia 2. I loved the story, and it wasn't plagued with craploads of filler (and horrid music) the original was. Granted, it wasn't as charming, so maybe that's it. Anyway, it's been a long time, but I remember enjoying the interaction between the characters.

Can't say I agree with Hix and Tengaar though. She just struck me as high maintenance. Someone like her would drive me nuts.
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    TG Barighm said:
    Yeah, I don't get why so many people have problems with Grandia 2. I loved the story, and it wasn't plagued with craploads of filler (and horrid music) the original was. Granted, it wasn't as charming, so maybe that's it. Anyway, it's been a long time, but I remember enjoying the interaction between the characters.

Can't say I agree with Hix and Tengaar though. She just struck me as high maintenance. Someone like her would drive me nuts.
    Honestly, I just thought Hix and Tengaar were funny. I don't think anyone could marry someone like her. ;)
  • riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    I don't find Hix and Tengaar as a "perfect pair" but they are certainly interesting. My perfect pair from the Suikoden series is probably Flik and Viktor. How Viktor gets Flik to "man up" in Suikoden I and their life partnership ways in Suikoden II are just so classic, and they also have some hilarious bath scripts.

Ryudo/Elena/Millenia is certainly a great choice. I don't remember much of the plot details of Grandia 2, but their relationship was definitely the highlight.

This feature seemed pretty romance-focused and it feels like many RPGs spend a lot more effort trying to develop a romance and leave friendships as an after thought. Childhood buddies seem to be left at home as the protagonist goes out on a journey and meets the most interesting person to him/her who is usually someone of the opposite gender. Or the childhood buddy of the opposite gender tags along and is in love with the protagonist and not much else really important about them. That's why I enjoyed the friendships between Shulk and Reyn (Xenoblade) and Luke and Guy (Tales of the Abyss), even if they maybe don't quite reach "perfect".

Anyway, for another "perfect pair", I nominate Luke and Tear (Tales of the Abyss). Mostly Tear for being perfect for Luke more than the other way around, but I suppose Luke has his good points or is gaining them pretty quickly.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    This feature was generally romance-focused at the outset, but Nyx opened it up to non-romantic pairs because some of us were interested in writing about such pairings. It's just a sampling of the many lovers and friends we could have written about, so we're more than happy to hear everybody else's favourite RPG pairings!
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member HalifaxFull Members
    edited June 2013
    Laharl and Flonne! The love obsessed angel bent on making a demon lord accept love. Sure, she's kinda.....silly, but the whole game is. Who would have thought that she would help him get over
    Spoiler:
    the pain of his mother sacrificing herself
    . Dunno if spoiler is necessary for that old of a game, but hey, why not.
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D which happens a lot more often now!
    this is my twitter! come twit with me
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Sadly, Ditto and Everything That Moves (And Some That Don't) would've been too much, even for this feature. :P
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
  • RealityCheckedRealityChecked Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Ingway and Mercedes come to mind as one not mentioned too often. They don't spend that much time together, but they have a profound influence on one another, and the interwoven nature of the narrative makes their star-crossed relationship stand out.
  • QuinQuin ne cede malis RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    Obligitory SRW response:

Kusuha Mizuha & Brooklyn "Bullet" Luckfield

While Kyosuke & Excellen might be the obvious choice from the OGverse, the tale of how a nurse and test pilot go on to pilot ancient chinese mecha against ancient evils is far more entertaining.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    befriend (v.): to use mecha-class beam weaponry to inflict grievous bodily harm on a target in the process of proving the validity of your belief system.
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    Shaymin said:
    Sadly, Ditto and Everything That Moves (And Some That Don't) would've been too much, even for this feature. :P
    Just one of the many reasons that my wonderful Imposter Ditto "Likewise" will be following me to every pokemon game after Black 2 where I caught him.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Genji Glove + Offering.
  • noodlenoodle Kirby: El Presidente RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    Fowl Sorcerous said:
    On vacation while this was being written.
    true that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RealityCheckedRealityChecked Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Drav said:
    Genji Glove + Offering.
    Ha, nice. If we are allowed to take poetic license with the feature's title, how about Tifa. Just Tifa.
  • NekobasuNekobasu RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    I was going to write something about Ferid & Arshtat from Suikoden V and Mia & Nash from Lunar:SSSC. Then I didn't. I lieu of an apology, I offer a short verse on the topic:

The power of love is a curious thing;
    make a one man weep, make another man sing.
    Change a hawk to a little white dove,
    more than a feeling: that's the power of love.
  • ironmageironmage chaotic neutral observer SaskatoonFull Members
    edited June 2013
    Gwendolyn and Oswald; the Valkyrie and the Black Swordsman.

They meet as mortal enemies, and their romance blossoms against the backdrop of the end of the world. (I really hope Vanillaware will one day give us another story like that).

The article has me really looking forward to Symphonia-HD. (Junpei and Chidori was a nice pick, too.)
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited June 2013
    omegabyte said:
    Just one of the many reasons that my wonderful Imposter Ditto "Likewise" will be following me to every pokemon game after Black 2 where I caught him.
    Him, her, it...Ditto can be whatever you want it to be!

Though I am baffled and slightly disturbed by how it aids in the reproduction of male-only Pokemon...
    ironmage said:
    The article has me really looking forward to Symphonia-HD. (Junpei and Chidori was a nice pick, too.)
    The original Symphonia has many pairings, but other than very strong hints, the relationships don't go all that far. It's another reason that Emil and Marta surprised me. It's not just hints, strong or otherwise; it's a more obvious romance.
    " I think this is why aging makes humans die! "
  • tsubakisamuraitsubakisamurai New Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    I had a few characters pop into my head as soon as I read this article. The first was Shun Akiyama and Hana from Yakuza 4. I love both of those characters and in particular I enjoy the way they interact with one another. They did a great job of showing how sometimes friends need space in order to grow. Shun and Hana were definitely guilty of leaning on each other a bit too much, but the ultimate twist is that the overly confident and aloof Shun needed Hana a hell of a lot more than she needed him!

My second choice is from my all-time favorite rpg ever, Dragon Quest 5. It doesn't matter which bride you choose for the Hero, it is arguably the most well crafted love story of the 16 bit era. On my first play through I chose Bianca, and I throughly enjoyed how the game handled the arc of their relationship. From the early childhood friendship sparked by exploring a haunted mansion to juggling saving the world and keeping their family together, I really think Dragon Quest 5 does a fantastic job of driving home the concept of "'til death do us part."
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    Strawberry Eggs said:
    Him, her, it...Ditto can be whatever you want it to be!

Though I am baffled and slightly disturbed by how it aids in the reproduction of male-only Pokemon...

The original Symphonia has many pairings, but other than very strong hints, the relationships don't go all that far. It's another reason that Emil and Marta surprised me. It's not just hints, strong or otherwise; it's a more obvious romance.
    ToS arguably has more strong friendships than romances. There are a ton of relationship dynamics at play in that game. Lloyd and Zelos comes to mind, Mithos and Genis, Kratos and Yuan. Then there's obvious romantic ones like Lloyd and Colette (and Sheena if you want to get triangley), Genis and Presea, Regal and Alicia. There's a ton of familial or paternal/maternal bonds at play as well - Genis and Marble, Genis and Raine, Kratos, Dirk, and Lloyd, Mithos and Martel, Altessa and Tabitha. The game really has a lot going on when you really dig into it.
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited June 2013
    Yes, I should have worded that better. I did mean romantic relationships concerning the original ToS. I wholeheartedly agree that there are several friendship and familial relationships that are quite excellent.
    " I think this is why aging makes humans die! "
  • NyxNyx Staff Girly Girl RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    tsubakisamurai said:
    I had a few characters pop into my head as soon as I read this article. The first was Shun Akiyama and Hana from Yakuza 4. I love both of those characters and in particular I enjoy the way they interact with one another. They did a great job of showing how sometimes friends need space in order to grow. Shun and Hana were definitely guilty of leaning on each other a bit too much, but the ultimate twist is that the overly confident and aloof Shun needed Hana a hell of a lot more than she needed him!

My second choice is from my all-time favorite rpg ever, Dragon Quest 5. It doesn't matter which bride you choose for the Hero, it is arguably the most well crafted love story of the 16 bit era. On my first play through I chose Bianca, and I throughly enjoyed how the game handled the arc of their relationship. From the early childhood friendship sparked by exploring a haunted mansion to juggling saving the world and keeping their family together, I really think Dragon Quest 5 does a fantastic job of driving home the concept of "'til death do us part."
    Akiyama and Hana are a great pair. She keeps him in line, and he's still a loveable soul. :) In Dead Souls, funny enough, they come across more "romantic" in a way, which I thought was different. More desperation I suppose!
  • Gideon ZhiGideon Zhi Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Slightly disappointed by the lack of Ming Numara & Jansen Friedh. It starts off in such a sleazy manner but it's adorable to watch Jansen trip over himself around Ming, not to mention how completely surprised he is when she actually falls for him. Sure there's the whole lifespan disparity thing and I don't actually know how it ends (I've just finished up with the flying Grand Staff bit so I'm pretty close, but it's somewhat nebulous at this point) but what I have seen was actually kind of sweet.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    Shaymin said:
    My Japanese ditto is a sex divinity.

Ming and Jansen is a good choice, Gideon! Jansen has some decent character development in that game.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • GrayWolf323GrayWolf323 Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    I know the game gets a lot of flack but I actually really liked Squall & Rinoa in FFVIII
  • ClixClix Never Google Image Search Full Members
    edited June 2013
    GrayWolf323 said:
    I know the game gets a lot of flack but I actually really liked Squall & Rinoa in FFVIII
    But they aren't a couple. Squall was unwittingly brainwatched by Rinoa into loving him by her witch powers, a la the spell Ultimecia used on Seifer. Squall's devotion is out of left-field because it's not even genuine, and Rinoa didn't do it intentionally, so she doesn't even realize it's fake either.
  • AurianAurian Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    *Looks @ above post*
    *Puts on flame proof suit*
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    The better one from FFVIII would be Irvine and Sephie.
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited June 2013
    Okay, time to do the obligatory "No X/X Pairing" list here, of which these are ones I could see here, but aren't too angry that aren't here.

Justin/Feena from Grandia
    Shelk/Fiora from Xenoblade Chronicles
    Tidus/Yuna from Final Fantasy X (overplayed I know, but it's a perfect romance couple IMO)
    Welkin/Alicia from Valkyria Chronicles
    Ryu/Nina from every Breath of Fire game in existence

There, some of my obligatory list of possible pairings for this.
    User Database Check
    Pages cleared: 98
    Users cleared: 2940
    Current Year: 2010
    Spammer-Banning Battle Theme: You Will Know Our Names
    Number of Spammers banned: At least 2000 at this point.
  • tootbrushtootbrush Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    28 posts and no-one's mentioned Crono and Marle? I'm disappointed, RPGamer.

I find that to be an interesting pair mainly because it's conveyed through the lines of one character and the actions of the other. So little of it is shown and yet it's obvious they're gravitating towards each other.
    Of course, if you never have Marle in your party, you'll miss a lot of the subtext. But if you take her along for most of the quests, a couple of scenes later in the game hit you like a truck.

Incidentally, she's
    Spoiler:
    always my party leader throughout the entire Crono resurrection "side quest"
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited June 2013
    toot, I've been playing the silent protagonist on this thread as I could put up a list like Dark as long as my arm. Honestly, almost every RPG from the SNES era to present has at least one romantic pair in it that people might want to mention.
This discussion has been closed.