If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Wow, F2P is eeeeeeeevil

omegabyteomegabyte Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy GroundRPGamer Staff
edited June 2013 in Miscellaneous Gaming
Okay, we all knew that most F2P games were designed in a particularly evil fashion, but man, when it's laid out like this, you realize just how evil they really are. This is some sick, twisted **** right here.

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RaminShokrizade/20130626/194933/The_Top_F2P_Monetization_Tricks.php
Maybe I'll log out and check my e-mail or something...

Comments

• TGBarighmTGBarighm Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Yep. Somewhere, at some time, there's some dude with a nasty imagination who actually has to go out there and create this stuff. They don't just pull it out of their butts.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited June 2013
    That's why I don'y play free-2-play games. The only one I've played is Star Wars: TOR and I only spent like 3 hours with it. The way developers, especially mobile developers try to trick you into buying stuff makes me shake my head. If you give a phone to your kid, they could accidentally buy stuff for a LOT of money. The screen isn't that big either, so you might actually tap the wrong icon (happened to me but I could always cancel). Add to that that if you against all odds would want to buy something, the prices are ridiculous. Then we have the timers. Play, then after a couple of turns, you'll have to pay to play. **** that crap.
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited June 2013
    Too true. It amazes me how horrible these games are when it comes to monetization. Worst part? People fall for this crap and spend boatloads of cash on these "games."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited June 2013
    Yep, this was one of the reasons I quit playing Marvel Heroes. After reading this article I can honestly says that it didn't employ most of these techniques, but nonetheless it was a greedy game where the only real reason to play after beating the story was to create a new hero.

Looking back, MH would have been a much better game at full price. There would be a world of difference in having most of the characters, costumes, and stash space available from the outset. Of course the game had far more issues besides just the pay structure.

To be honest I can't really see the appeal of these types of games unless it is named League of Legends. Most of them seem designed around the casual player and can effectively cost far more than a regular game purchase if they become invested in the product. A friend of mine used to play this game called Kingdoms of Camelot, and he would often tell me how a level 10 city or something cost something in the realm of $200 dollars. I'm hoping he didn't spend much money on the game. Maybe its just me, but I'd rather have many pieces of different entertainment rather than getting addicted so a singular one that is constantly asking me to put cash into it. Probably why I almost never touch these types of games in the first place.
  • Phillip WillisPhillip Willis Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2013
    I'm with you, Nim. I can't STAND free 2 play games. EVIL.
    Co-Host on RPGBacktrack. Follow me on Twitter and sub to my blog if you would like!
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited June 2013
    Depends on the F2P game. Some can actually pull it off without you needing to get said boosters. Most however...yeah, evil.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • ironmageironmage chaotic neutral observer SaskatoonFull Members
    edited June 2013
    I had a horrible thought while reading that article: F2P SMT.

Your MC gets hit with Mudo? Pay for a homunculus with $.
    Want a specific skill inherited on that fusion? Donate some $ to the Cathedral of Shadows.
    You want a demon to join your party? $ and he'll consider it.
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited June 2013
    ironmage wrote: »
    I had a horrible thought while reading that article: F2P SMT.

Your MC gets hit with Mudo? Pay for a homunculus with $.
    Want a specific skill inherited on that fusion? Donate some $ to the Cathedral of Shadows.
    You want a demon to join your party? $ and he'll consider it.
    Such a MMO already exists. Look up Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited March 21
    deleted.
  • Rya_ReisenderRya_Reisender Solipsist Snowflake Full Members
    edited June 2013
    I really really hate all this microtransaction stuff. I'm playing F2P MMORPGs but I don't spend money in them. If it gets boring I just switch to the next F2P MMORPG. There are hundreds of them after all.
  • ironmageironmage chaotic neutral observer SaskatoonFull Members
    edited June 2013
    Such a MMO already exists. Look up Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine
    Oh.

That's...actually pretty depressing.
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
  • CidolfasCidolfas Member Full Members
    edited June 2013
    I've been playing Jewel Mania and I've managed to get to level 80 without spending anything so far. I bought $1 worth of currency just to support the company who made, it, despite the incredibly annoying ads and prompts to install all their other games. They're also behind Bubble Mania, which was much more evil in terms of difficulty. So far I haven't come across a board that absolutely demands a boost, though there are a few that would have been really useful. One thing that bugs me is that there are two currencies, coins and gold, and it is literally impossible to obtain gold through gameplay. And of course, in later boards, boosts can only be bought with gold, not coins. -_-