If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Shadowrun Returns on Thursday

OcelotOcelot is not declawedRPGamer Staff
edited August 2013 in Latest Updates
Want to survive the mean streets of the Shadowrun world? You're going to need a combination of street smarts, technical know-how, magical mojo, and good old-fashioned firepower.
Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
Twitter: BeckyCFreelance

Comments

• TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited July 2013
    Oh, good. A Kickstarter game actually comes out instead of pulling this "delays due to broader design" stuff.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited July 2013
    I own three Kickstarter games.

I think it's normal that some games get a delay. More funds usually means more ambitious games (in most cases).
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited July 2013
    Pretty excited for this, going to be the second kickstarter to complete for me.
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited July 2013
    TG Barighm said:
    Oh, good. A Kickstarter game actually comes out instead of pulling this "delays due to broader design" stuff.
    It did get delayed, though only by a month and I don't think it was a broader design thing. It seems like they've handled extra funds pretty well, making Berlin dlc instead of adding it to the game proper and stretching out development time was a good move.

I'm really looking forward to this. Got a four day weekend set so I'll have some lunch while it installs after work Thursday and then dive in hard. I'm kinda hoping to run through it twice in that time, a street sam first to get a good feel for it and then either a shaman or a rigger, I haven't decided yet. After that I'll start looking to grab some of the stuff big backers have done with their early access to the editor. Maybe Lost Lamb, that one's looking fairly chunky.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited July 2013
    Technically the game was delayed 6 months, based on the Kickstarter release date. Looks neat though; already got my Steam key.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2013
    This is why game companies don't usually tell us that a game even exists until it's well into development, and then don't usually give release dates far in advance. It's awfully difficult to give a strong release date before your development has begun in earnest, and even more difficult on Kickstarter if you don't know how much funding you're getting and how many stretch goals you'll reach. I don't begrudge most of these early Kickstarters the extra time they've taken, especially ones like Shadowrun that are still coming out on a reasonable schedule.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited July 2013
    This game looks fun. I'd like to try it on for size.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited July 2013
    Oh my god that's the sound of my childhood returning with a vengeance. STOKED!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited July 2013
    So I just read the Eurogamer review....
    You can scroll through your combat options quickly and easily, and the game is generous with its lines of sight. Perhaps too generous, since this is not a difficult game. It may resemble XCOM during its more tactical moments, but it lacks that game's ruthless brutality. You'll need to make some pretty horrendous mistakes to fail most of the encounters here.
    Urgh.
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited July 2013
    Since it comes with an editor I'm sure somebody will release a 'hard mode' or something.
  • JitawaJitawa Member Full Members
    edited July 2013
    I think it's cool that you can recruit the SNES protagonist as a merc. I have this one "preordered" (inasmuch as that sort of thing matters on Steam). Looking forward to it.
  • daveyddaveyd Member Full Members
    edited July 2013
    Drav said:
    So I just read the Eurogamer review....

Urgh.
    That's just one reviewer's opinion. Softpedia said "The title is a tough experience for newcomers but, provided they keep at it and continue to explore the many complex mechanics, it's quite rewarding, especially for those who enjoyed the comebacks of other franchises like Fallout or XCOM in recent years."
    Currently playing: The Shadow Sun (Android), Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut (PC), Pillars of Eternity (PC)

• TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited July 2013
    Overall reviews are actually fine and the game is mostly losing points for being short, but the reviewers who give it better reviews recognize the game is designed to receive lots of expansions.
  • NimNim _ Full Members
    edited July 2013
    I've only played it for two hours, but here are some of my pros and cons.

+Writing is good
    +Combat is good
    +Graphics are nice
    +Soundtrack fits the mood

-No manual saves, not a fan of the checkpoint system
    -No loot from fallen enemies
    -The user interface isn't always the best

Despite the cons, I'm happy I backed it. It would be great if at least the save system got a future patch.
  • freykinfreykin Member Full Members
    edited July 2013
    Played for about 6 hours so far. Really enjoying it! In regards to the difficulty, I'm playing on normal, and I've died twice so far. There's two difficulty settings above that, so I bet on those you have to really carefully plan everything out.

Glad to see a kickstarter turn out well :).
  • FrozenbabylonFrozenbabylon POW! Full Members
    edited July 2013
    I'm kind of annoyed at the whole situation. I backed the game and am glad that I did just to have it exist and I've received my Steam key and what have you, but I was holding out for the iOS version to actually play the damn game as I like to play games on my iPad while on break at work. They've been nebulous about the release of the iOS version and just this week said that the iOS version would be 'sometime down the road.' without further clarification.

I'll probably start up the PC version soon, but damn do I hate being forced into using Steam... I've avoided it thus far, guess I can't avoid it forever...
  • JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited July 2013
    Hmm...I don't have the email in front of me, Frozen, but I'm pretty sure the Kickstarter email had directions for downloading the promised DRM Free version of the game as well. I like Steam for its sales, but its not DRM Free :)
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactic's Ogre I choose u! Full Members
    edited July 2013
    Loving this game so far, played about 20 hours so far with 2 characters, but have yet to beat it. The short aspect hasn't really bothered me as I do not appear to be near the end on either toon.

Played around a bit with the editor, but sadly my editor broke and won't work :( forcing me to reinstall everything. No one else seems to have had this issue but me though on their official forums.
  • BalanceBalance Member Full Members
    edited July 2013
    I am so getting this game, I don't post in "Saving Throw" but I used ot play the pen and paper Shadowrun game in my University days. The only question is, should I wait till it comes down in price?
    edited July 2013
    That's up to you. It's only $20, and I personally think the campaign+workshop is meaty enough to justify the price, but everybody has different price points.
  • LordKaiserLordKaiser Gaming Freedom Full Members
    edited July 2013
    http://www.amazon.com/Shadowrun-Pc/dp/B000PHNW3A/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1375140567&sr=8-4&keywords=Shadow+Run

Amazon says 5 on PC and 9 or so on 360. IDK it's so cheap that it's hard to believe.
    Never buy a game published by D3 Publisher that is not WKCII. They cheated on their fans by releasing a game that they didn't support not even for a year and they released a rushed translation.
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited July 2013
    Different game there LordKaiser. This one is Shadowrun Returns.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
    edited August 2013
    Nim said:
    I've only played it for two hours, but here are some of my pros and cons.

+Writing is good
    +Combat is good
    +Graphics are nice
    +Soundtrack fits the mood

-No manual saves, not a fan of the checkpoint system
    -No loot from fallen enemies
    -The user interface isn't always the best

Despite the cons, I'm happy I backed it. It would be great if at least the save system got a future patch.
    I consider no random loot from enemies a pro. After dealing with the nightmare that is inventory management in games like Baldur's Gate, NWN, and countless other RPGs with loot galore, I'm so glad I don't have to pick up a slew of crappy weapons and armor to sell in SRR. There's still some loot: grenades, drugs, and medkits and ocassionally credsticks to be found, they are just are in fixed locations, rather than randomized. I Honestly don't miss random loot one bit.

I agree about the checkpoint system; it's not ideal. Would like if they could eventually update so you can save anywhere outside of combat... But for the most part checkpoints aren't terribly far apart so it's not a big deal.
    Balance said:
    I am so getting this game, I don't post in "Saving Throw" but I used ot play the pen and paper Shadowrun game in my University days. The only question is, should I wait till it comes down in price?
    I think it's absolutely worth $20. The main campaign is a bit short and linear, but excellent and certainly worth a 2nd playthrough just so you can try out a different character archetype. And there's already a few interesting player made campaigns on Steam workshop, with many more sure to come.
    Currently playing: The Shadow Sun (Android), Shadowrun: Dragonfall Director's Cut (PC), Pillars of Eternity (PC)

edited August 2013
    Nim, your pros and cons are exactly the same as mine. The checkpoint system really starts to get annoying later in the game when you're facing some of the longer/more complex battles... especially the ones in which you have to protect a decker who is hacking into the Matrix during the fight.

I don't mind that there isn't loot on the enemies, but I wish there were more resources to collect in the world or at least better ways to control one's nuyen intake. I felt like I'd just get magically random amounts of nuyen in my coffers after every mission, and there wasn't much I could do if I wanted to scrounge a bit more of the stuff. I could negotiate the dwarf guy up a bit when I collected something he wanted, but otherwise it all felt out of my control.
    edited August 2013
    Ocelot said:
    Nim, your pros and cons are exactly the same as mine. The checkpoint system really starts to get annoying later in the game when you're facing some of the longer/more complex battles... especially the ones in which you have to protect a decker who is hacking into the Matrix during the fight.

I don't mind that there isn't loot on the enemies, but I wish there were more resources to collect in the world or at least better ways to control one's nuyen intake. I felt like I'd just get magically random amounts of nuyen in my coffers after every mission, and there wasn't much I could do if I wanted to scrounge a bit more of the stuff. I could negotiate the dwarf guy up a bit when I collected something he wanted, but otherwise it all felt out of my control.
    Hiring fewer runners to take with you is the main way to take home extra nuyen in Dead Man's Switch. Obviously this makes it a lot more likely that you will die, but if you survive, you'll be rich!!!

• NimNim _ Full Members
    edited August 2013
    daveyd: There are a lot of people that are happy with no random loot from enemies and I can understand that. I personally love playing around with items and have no issues with inventory management. Checkpoints weren't terrible but still a con. I died on one of my runs and had to redo 40 minutes. At least save before or after each battle.

Ocelot: I had to rewind my save for that mission because the game autosaved in that area and my runners were almost dead. When it came to nuyen, I learned early on that I would have to be greedy in conversations. I really had to act like a mercenary to make money. I also did one or two missions with only two recruits, hiring a rigger and a shaman.

I'm looking forward to the Berlin campaign. There were maybe a mission or tow that I felt were annoying, the rest were good. It'll also be interesting to see what the community does. I've played around with the editor just for fun, probably spent a couple of hours with it. It won't lead to anything, but it's cool to have the possibility to try out for yourself.
    edited August 2013
    @Nim I can understand being annoyed about the checkpoint saves if you die in some of the bigger areas. I hate being forced to replay portions of a game. However, I have seen a handful of people on the SRR forums / Kickstarter claiming that the save system makes the game unplayable and that's blowing things way out of proportion. These people acting like this was a deliberate design choice on HBS' part or as if they're just being lazy or something. HBS would prefer having a save anywhere, but attempts to implement it were causing problems, with all the triggers, variables, etc. in a scene that need to be kept track of, it's kind of understandable. I've also heard creating save systems in Unity isn't as easy as some other engines also. It would be great if they implement a save anywhere system later on, but I just don't think it's anywhere near as bad as people are making it out to be.

As for loot, I just hate it when RPGs give me loads of useless junk to sell. Why not just give me the "gold" in that case? It's another thing entirely if the items are actually useful. In some of the other upcoming RPGs like Dead State and Wasteland 2 I expect lots of loot because those games are all about surviving in post-apocalyptic worlds. In Shadowrun Returns, I just didn't feel like it needed more equipment. The only things I'd really like to see possibly added are the ability to customize weapons (add silencers, smartlinks, etc.) and more cyberware.

• NimNim _ Full Members
    edited August 2013
    Yes, people are probably overreacting when it comes to the save system. I didn't like it but it doesn't make the game unplayable.

When it comes to loot, there is no right or wrong. I just like to get new stuff, I guess that's why I also enjoy playing hack 'n slash games.
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited August 2013
    Based on the response to the save system, I imagine they will patch it quick.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief