If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Review - ArcaniA: The Complete Tale

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited August 2013 in Latest Updates
The Gothic series is not the most well known or beloved series in the history of Western RPGs. Find out within if this trend has been bucked, or if it falls off a cliff.

Review - ArcaniA: The Complete Tale

Comments

• NimNim _ Full Members
    edited July 2013
    This game shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as the other Gothic games.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2013
    Haha, well you'll be happy to know the name Gothic isn't used at all other than in the name of the main quest in this version.
  • TG BarighmTG Barighm Member Full Members
    edited August 2013
    I actually enjoyed the combat. Kind of like Fable, but with more hardcore RPG elements. Fable is fun but I find it too shallow, so Arcania felt like something I've been looking for. But man, is it glitchy. Terrible production values. Entire houses and hillsides can disappear right before your eyes. Worse, they'd stay that way even if you had a quest or other reason to be there. Ever try to find your way through an invisible house? I'd say the graphics were downright busted.
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited August 2013
    Ah, ArcadiA. I bought the game and its expansion a while back during some fit of madness. Really soulless experience, so much so that the main thing about it I remember is how damn linear it is. As I recall you basically do a big lap of the island with pretty much no deviation or exploration or anything at all. It just felt so... artificial.

I also remember that the expansion was like two hours long max, which was hilarious considering it cost about twenty bucks at the time.
  • DravDrav A Serious Man Full Members
    edited August 2013
    I didn't need to play more than the demo. As soon as I tried to jump across a 2 ft wide steam and hit an invisible wall, I knew.
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited August 2013
    Yeah, that's always a pleasure.

Sheesh, what else is there to say about this game... it... uh... it scores high on the
    Spoiler:
    Start-to-death-of-Hero's-pregnant-girlfriend
    review scale, there's that.
  • PimpaliciousPimpalicious Member Full Members
    edited August 2013
    It's too bad this is bad, oddly enough the PS3 is receiving plenty of quality JRPGs this year but no WRPGs(other than South Park, that should be fun I hope).
  • scorpio_7scorpio_7 Tactic's Ogre I choose u! Full Members
    edited August 2013
    Is this connected to the Realms of Arkania remake which came out on the 30th?

If so, then I'm not surprised its bad. The realms of arkania game is an absolute disaster.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2013
    Nah, it's compeltely unconnected to Realms of Arkania. It's actually part of the Gothic series. The original PC release of this game was called Arcania: Gothic 4 (back in 2010), although they appear to have removed the Gothic branding for this release of it.
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)
    edited August 2013
    Severin Mira said:
    Nah, it's compeltely unconnected to Realms of Arkania. It's actually part of the Gothic series. The original PC release of this game was called Arcania: Gothic 4 (back in 2010), although they appear to have removed the Gothic branding for this release of it.
    Yeah the Gothic branding is nowhere to be found, apparently the rights to the series name returned to the original developer in 2011, and that's why it was removed for the re-release. Even though said developer has a publishing agreement with the publisher of this one. I wonder if they want to make their own Gothic 4 some day?
  • Confessor RahlConfessor Rahl Member Full Members
    edited August 2013
    I absolutely LOVED Gothic and Gothic 2. But the third entry was pretty damned uneven. I'm not even remotely surprised at this review. It seems this style of game is tough outside of Elder Scrolls and The Witcher.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.powerlinemag.com

"I remember back when FF9 was coming out. People were rejoicing because it was actually a fantasy game and not a sci-fi game like 7 and 8. It's especially hilarious given modern context, with everyone wanking themselves to dehydration at the thought of an FF7 remake." - Masterchief
    edited August 2013
    Confessor Rahl said:
    I absolutely LOVED Gothic and Gothic 2. But the third entry was pretty damned uneven. I'm not even remotely surprised at this review. It seems this style of game is tough outside of Elder Scrolls and The Witcher.
    That was kind of what I was thinking the whole time going through the game. The developer clearly wanted to be something like that without anywhere near either the technical knowhow or the manpower. Its a shame too, because with the fun combat in a smaller scale engine more suited to their talents the developers may have made something quite good. I'm all for more lower-budget type games, but these developers need to learn to work within their limits instead of putting out stuff like this and the original Two Worlds etc.
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2013
    Confessor Rahl said:
    Well, this one was made by completely different people than any of the previous Gothics.

Funny story... we never ended up reviewing the PC version of ArcaniA because the review copy fried my brand-new video card (which was fortunately under warranty, so I got it replaced). I refused to put it near my computer after that, and I couldn't convince anybody else on the site to take the darn thing. I think it's somewhere in my basement now, shoved between old games on 5.25 inch floppy.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
  • PawsPaws BEARSONA RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2013
    They actually sent us multiples, too. The review copy I received of ArcaniA didn't unlock on launch day.
  • SlayerSlayer Member Full Members
    edited August 2013
    It sounds like they should rename this game 'Crap on Toast'.
    edited August 2013
    Slayer said:
    It sounds like they should rename this game 'Crap on Toast'.
    Only if you want to ruin perfectly good toast!