If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Shiny new "Ask your Q&A questions here" thread

WheelsWheels RPGamer StaffRPGamer Staff
edited January 2014 in Miscellaneous Gaming
So using a thread to ask questions for Q&A worked out pretty well, so let's keep it going! In addition to e-mail and twitter you can now send me your questions here. When I use your question in an episode of Q&A I'll edit your post with a link to where it is answered. So ask away!

Comments

• riulynriulyn Member Full Members
    edited August 2013
    ToX question: Are you going with Millia or Jude?

Wheels: Answered on 8/9/13
  • lolwhoopslolwhoops Member Full Members
    edited August 2013
    which saturday morning cartoons of old do you think would make a great RPG? Like 80's-90's.

are you looking forward to Disgaea D2 at all? What do you think about the series in general?

What's your take on the new Breath of Fire game that was announced? Good thing or bad thing?

What is the best game that involves a rake?

Wheels: Answered on 8/9/13
    lolwhoops: a Gamer's Blog
    ^^is my blog! Updates whenever I feel like it! :D
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2013
    Questions answered! Get in your questions for next week!
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited August 2013
    So now that Earthbound is out on WiiU, I expected the price of the cartridges on Ebay to plummet into the sub-$100 range. But a cursory glance at the completed listings shows people still getting $200+ in auctions (not just Buy it Now).

Has the Virtual Console release taken the "I want to play this game on an actual system" people out of the bidding, leaving just the insane collectors? Or am I just being too impatient in waiting for cartridge pricing to drop?

Wheels: answered on 8/16/13
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
  • RalsuRalsu Member Full Members
    edited August 2013
    Q: Why the hell did it take so long to get a thread for Q&A?

Q: Is it possible for a good game to blend elements of WRPGs with those of JRPGs? What would that look like?

Q: With WiiU off to a false start, do you see any hope for US gamers to get Dragon Quest X on any of the other consoles?

Wheels: answered on 8/16/13
    edited August 2013
    Its that time again, get your questions in for next week!
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2013
    Now that I've rolled the credits on Xillia, it's become clear that it may just be my new favorite Tales game (and by correlation, my new all-time favorite game.) Fix this for me by convincing me that Symphonia is still superior, so that my mind may be at peace!

Wheels answered on 8/23/13
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
    edited August 2013
    Name the top 3 WRPGs/series that would make killer Japanese SRPGs.

Describe the game systems you would implement in a kart racing RPG.

If you had to pick any character's battle chat/cries as your own voice for when you do pretty much any activity, who would you choose?

Wheels answered on 8/23/13
    edited August 2013
    (Silly) Tales of Xillia-related questions.

1. Would you want Sylph to style your hair? Or is there a person/character who is in dire need of Sylph's hairdressing skills?
    2. Neck scarves/neckerchiefs or long scarves like Alvin's?
    3. Are your Tales of Xillia characters wearing any additional accessories? Particularly, what is your favorite of the eyewear?

Wheels answered on 8/30/2013
    edited August 2013
    Feed me more questions
    edited August 2013
    Q&A off next week so plenty of time to get some questions in
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited August 2013
    What do you think of the 2DS tablet?

Wheels answered on 9/20/2013
    edited September 2013
    Sorry flamethrower I forgot about your question for this week! Will get that in next week as I have a nice long reply.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited September 2013
    Do you think the PS Vita TV thing will actually pull new life for Sony or another failure?

Wheels answered on 9/20/2013
    I am bad and that is good, I will never be good and that's not bad, there's no one I'd rather be than me - Wreck-it-Ralph

27 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a Proud if slightly annoyed Father :D
    edited September 2013
    1. All/Any of your thoughts on TiTS SC localization.

2. Which commonly used Tales plot devices/events do you wish would be eliminated from all future Tales games? Which ones are you okay with seeing again?

3. Teepo or Tokunaga?

Wheels answered on 9/27/2013
    edited September 2013
    What two games would you cross with Animal Crossing to make the ultimate life adventure game of all time?

Why do video game characters never have pimples?

There's an electronics store called Future Shop in Canada (owned by Best Buy I think) and occasionally they offer a $10 credit that you earn by buying a new release within a narrow window (generally about 3 days) after release. To use the credit you bring your receipt with you and you have to purchase a game that is at least $19.99. The thing is it has to be used in the next month (say October if you bought the game in September). How effective a strategy do you think that is to draw in sales on new releases? Why would you think it wouldn't be all that common a practice? Would the $10 credit on a game be enough to make you buy there within that window instead of somewhere else?

Wheels answered on 9/27/2013
    edited September 2013
    Bring on the new questions
  • omegabyteomegabyte He's just this guy, you know? RPGamer Staff
    edited September 2013
    Wind Waker HD introduced the ability to take selfie photographs! What other games would you want to see this feature in, and why?

Wheels answered on 10/04/13
    "It's okay to fail as long as you learn that you failed!" - Neptune, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory
    Follow me on Twitter
    Read my serialized, comedy-fantasy web novel, The Almanac of All Things - http://www.thealmanac.ca - Read All of Part One Now!
  • MasterChiefMasterChief I didn't learn anything! Full Members
    edited September 2013
    Why is this not stickied? And why is it rarely noted in the actual section who sent the question?

Wheels answered on 10/04/13
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What the f--- is a Shakespeare?"
    -Rico Valasquez, showing off why no one likes him.
    edited October 2013
    Hey. Your questions. I NEEDS THEM
  • flamethrowerflamethrower Member Full Members
    edited October 2013
    Where do I find the good mobile games (iOS or Android)? So far my best source is The Humble Bundle with Android. Incidentally, a new one is on sale now. Which sources am I missing? Is good mobile game an oxymoron?
    I have a 2006 PC (working). I'd like to be rid of it. Compensation optional. Best way to get rid of it?
    I'd like to be rid of my PSX / PS1 and games. Compensation required - I think they are worth something based on a cursory eBay search. Best way to get rid of them?

Wheels answered on 10/18/2013
    edited October 2013
    What game series did you think you would hate but ended up liking? What made you think you'd hate it? What made you like it?

I'm currently experiencing horrible customer service from the NIS store regarding my Disgaea D2 order. Have you ever experienced bad online customer service? What sites do you typically avoid buying games from and what sites do you always use?

Are you playing Pokemon X or Y? If not, you should. Also, if not, why?

Wheels answered on 10/18/2013
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2013
    After the shodcking attempt at defending the first game's theme song, I feel I have little choice than to demand you explain why the theme songs from the second and third Inazuma games are much better than, let's say, Tales of Vesperia's. :)

Wheels did NOT answer on 11/1/2013 but will do so at a later date because this is a mean mean question
    "My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving universes."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU), severin-US (US) | NNID: severinmira | Skype: severinmk
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevirain Kristinger (Leviathan)
  • ShayminShaymin The Gratitude Pokemon Full Members
    edited October 2013
    Ignoring the insanity of having a committee design anything creative in the first place, who would you have put on Square's new "Final Fantasy Committee"? The current makeup is Kitase, Tabata, Yoshida and Toriyama.

Wheels answered on 11/1/2013
    "The flowers all over its body burst into bloom if it is lovingly hugged and senses gratitude."
    Twitter | A gaming podcast by grownups
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2013
    I'm probably going to regret mentioning this, but I had to ask... Am I the only person who absolutely hates the FFXII localization, and most of the other Square-Enix localizations in the same vein? I saw a lot of praise for it in the last Q&A, and I still can't understand it. People say that it makes the characters sound like you'd expect them to in "the dark ages", but that isn't true at all. For the most part, all a lot of localizers did was start using (or even overusing) a lot of antiquated spellings and awkwardly mix in out-dated word forms. It is very, very far from genuine Early Modern English, let alone medieval Middle or Old English, and it comes across as a pretentious attempt to have more depth than it actually has. An even bigger problem is that this hasn't been limited to just FFXII alone.

I mean, it's not exactly FFXII, but FFXIV is doing a lot of the exact same stuff and it is really bugging me right now as I play through that game. I'll point out a chain of recent examples I stumbled across. People don't use the word machine, they use the word clockwork. You'd think that would mean they would call clocks "clocks," but no, they call them horologum, and the average person of the world has never even heard of one. Despite using horologum, a word that shares the same root as hour, hours are always called bells. Meanwhile, all of the words they are replacing, machine, clock, and hour, are pretty damn old words that would have been perfectly understandable and widely used in the actual middle ages and early modern period. Many of their roots date back as far as Proto Indo-European, and are common to all the societies that sprung from that culture thousands of years ago. I think FFXIV's localizers even went so far as to just make up words regarding distance (yalm and malm), even though they are clearly intended to just mean yard and mile. This isn't creatively evoking past language, and neither is it a form of creative world-building. This is just obfuscation for the sake of obfuscation.

A side problem of how widely Square Enix hss adopted some of these translation techniques is that it has destroyed a lot of the uniqueness of its different games. When FFX substituted the modern English machine with the Latin machina, it was a deliberate use of unusual terminology designed to highlight the people of Spira's fear and rejection of machinery and persecution of those who use them. This was why characters in X-2 who embrace technology use the word "machine" as an alternative. This use of language is really interesting, but it would be completely lost in a translation like those seen in XII or later. It also doesn't help when all the Ivalice games, FFIV, FFXIV, Tactics Ogre, and even some parts of FFXIII all sound alike and use the same language. Creative translations should make things sound unique and play to a game's individual quirks, not wash out the differences between very different games.

Anyways, it doesn't help when it feels like every major RPG released these days is trying to play the exact same trick regarding language, and are starting to sound alike as a result. I thought that it was kinda interesting when the first Dragon Age used "coin" instead of "money" all the time, but now I'm quite sick to death of it. FFIV could at least use the word "gil" instead! I'll point out that the word money is derived from Middle English, Old French, and Latin, so it is perfectly fine in of itself for any fantasy setting. I guess developers could replace it with the Old English schat, if the word money isn't good enough for them. Ultimately, all they are doing is just reducing the amount of vocabulary they have at their disposal, which makes a lot of dialog more repetitive and less nuanced than it should be.

I think I veered away from just talking about localization a bit there, but that's how it goes. This is one of those things about recent RPGs that has really annoyed me.

Wheels answered on 11/1/2013
    edited November 2013
    New question time!
  • Fowl SorcerousFowl Sorcerous Dread News Editor RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2013
    edited November 2013
    What do you think about the new Ratchet and Clank game being released for $29.99? Do you like Ratchet and Clank games? Do you think more companies should try a lower price point more often?

What is one game you pre-ordered in the last year that you ended up regretting?

What game do you have pre-ordered right now that you are most excited for? What one are you most excited for that pre-orders haven't opened on yet?

What would you think about a Megaman SRPG or MMORPG? Or maybe a Megaman themed Skylanders-type game?

Do you know many people with indie developer goals who think completely unrealistically about how well their game is going to do? Ever find out about the first game a developer makes being very lofty and thinking it won't be half as good as they think?

When is the last time you wanted to punch a mascot?

When you go grinding in Disgaea D2's item world, what music do you listen to? Do you listen to something other than music? How long would you say is too long when it comes to grinding sessions?

What version of FF4 do you think is the best?

Do you think I would make a good rainbow?

Wheels answered on 11 27 2013
    edited November 2013
    YOU SHALL NOT PASS

Without submitting questions for Q&A
This discussion has been closed.