If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Can't Log In?

PawsPaws PurrRPGamer Staff
edited June 2014 in Site & Forum Support
Hey all;

We had an issue with the forums for about 12 hours now where logins would be largely failing due to "too many password attempts" -- this should be cleared up now. If you still cannot log in, please contact me at paws@rpgamer.com

Comments

• NimNim _ Full Members
    edited August 2013
    Ah, thought my account got hacked or something. Changed my password and all. Farewell old password, you served me well.
  • ironmageironmage chaotic neutral observer SaskatoonFull Members
    edited May 2014
    I've been having a lot of trouble logging in lately. I get the message below:
    Wrong username or password. You have used up your failed login quota! Please wait 15 minutes before trying again. Don't forget that the password is case sensitive. Forgotten your password? Click here!

I get this message on the *first* login attempt. Even after waiting 15+ minutes, I usually just get the message again. I (obviously) can eventually log in if I repeat this enough times...
    Only the livin' have the privilege of sayin' they'll fight ta the last breath.
    And words like conviction and resolve don't mean much to a dead man...
    --Raven (Tales of Vesperia)
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2014
    We're seeing this pop up with a small number of people intermittently (less than five reports) -- we're looking into the cause.
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    edited May 2014
    I've been having this problem over the last few weeks. But I guess I don't try to log in very often, so that might be why I'm making few reports. (I have usually given up after half an hour!)

Note: I think I only got sent a 5 failed attempts e-mail, when I tried ignoring the 15 minute wait one time. (Although it might also have been because I didn't notice my Capslock at first.)

Otherwise I've just tried the "Remember Me?" option yesterday and now I'm not getting the problem, by virtue of not needing to ever log in ;)
    (I wonder if that's why few people are seeing it.)
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2014
    I've seen the login issue accessing the forum from the tapatalk app on multiple occasions, but never that I can recall on a web browser.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
  • AcathalaAcathala Member Full Members
    edited May 2014
    silktail wrote: »
    I've been having this problem over the last few weeks. But I guess I don't try to log in very often, so that might be why I'm making few reports. (I have usually given up after half an hour!)

Note: I think I only got sent a 5 failed attempts e-mail, when I tried ignoring the 15 minute wait one time. (Although it might also have been because I didn't notice my Capslock at first.)

Otherwise I've just tried the "Remember Me?" option yesterday and now I'm not getting the problem, by virtue of not needing to ever log in ;)
    (I wonder if that's why few people are seeing it.)

I've had the same problem, though not as often.
  • PawsPaws Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2014
    Can you guys please tell me how you're trying to log in? App (if so which one) or browser (if so which one)?
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2014
    I've been using tapatalk on iOS. App just received an update and haven't seen the issue again yet, so may have just been a bug with tapatalk.
    Ask Wheels- This Week's Episode
    sig.gif
    edited May 2014
    I'm using Seamonkey as a browser (it's basically a Firefox variant). I haven't been having difficulty logging in for the past couple days, though. I'll try to leave a note here if it starts happening again.
  • silktailsilktail mild peril Full Members
    edited May 2014
    I have been using Google Chrome all this time. (It's currently "Version 35.0.1916.114 m", but I don't know what it was when I had the problem.)

"Remember Me" has kept me logged in all this week, so I've seen no issues since then.
    I just tried logging out a moment ago and it is letting me log back in again.
  • AcathalaAcathala Member Full Members
    edited May 2014
    Internet Explorer Browser
  • Ancient RuneAncient Rune New Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    this has been happen to me all the time lately i had to make a new account because it always puts me in the 15 minute wait quota and even after waiting it still does it

and now im stuck with a temp pass that doesnt work either and i cant change my password
  • smacdsmacd Full Members
    edited June 2014
    I had this show up when I loaded up the forums from my tablet on Sunday. I don't recall if there is a login timeout of some number of days or whatever even when using remember me, and I usually leave it logged in with the password saved in the browser from all the computer devices I use the site from. Browser is Firefox on Android.

It asked me to log in, but didn't like my password. Then said I'd exhausted my retries and I had to wait 15. it worked fine right away from my desktop after getting the message, and I tried again a few hours later and it worked fine on the tablet again.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    I've had the issue on multiple computers (save those browsers set to remember me) Both IE and Firefox
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    edited June 2014
    Ok so i think ive pin pointed the issue it seems to be trying to log me in through a different ip adress. i got an email stating that it was tring to go though an ip that wasnt mine. Its works through 3g but not at home or on wifi
  • HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best Full Members
    edited June 2014
    Same issue last couple days. Mostly Chrome but I gave IE a try a few times as well.
    Reads street English and speaks in collegiate - Ras Kass
    edited June 2014
    I'm having trouble logging in again, as well, and it's even kicked me off when I tried to preview a post.

If the forum software is blocking IP addresses after a certain number of failed login attempts from that address, but is running behind a proxy that is remapping IP addresses, then that might account for this. (A large group of people appear to belong to the same IP address, but when enough failed logins accumulate, everybody in the group is locked out).

Who has this problem and who doesn't might be related to geographic location, or network topology, or ISP.

nslookup is reporting multiple IP addresses for board.rpgamer.com. Just before posting this, one of those addresses was rejecting me immediately, but the other one let me in (I copied the IP address manually into my browser, instead of using "board.rpgamer.com"). Perhaps there's a load-balancing system gone awry, or a DNS problem?

Non-authoritative answer:
    board.rpgamer.com canonical name = Forums-1790325395.us-west-2.elb.amazonaws.com.
    Name: Forums-1790325395.us-west-2.elb.amazonaws.com
    Address: 54.214.46.96
    Name: Forums-1790325395.us-west-2.elb.amazonaws.com
    Address: 54.214.46.77

(.96 gave me the "failed login quota" error, .77 let me log in).
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for the reports, folks. Unfortunately Paws and Foxworth are at E3 right now, so it might be a few days before anybody can look into this again.
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    edited June 2014
    Well its working now but now i need permission before some of my posts go up
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited June 2014
    Ancient; let me check. Whatever-it-was hit us mods too, we couldn't well..log into our moderator dashboard this afternoon. Fox was here and kicked it, it should be okay now. (We had to get ahold of Fox, that was trouble and a half. Luckily someone had his twitter.) I don't see any posts in moderation by you atm, so I'm guessing you backed out when you saw that.

However, since you're a New Member, what you're getting is the spam filter smacking you. That's normal. Basically until you get rid of New Member, you can't post links without it tripping it; we try to check the queue about every week, so don't let it scare you. We will allow any post that isn't spammy sooner or later. So don't be afraid to try to post links! We just have to double check'em b/c of rampant spambots.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • AncientRuneAncientRune Member Full Members
    edited June 2014
    well im not really new i had to make another account, my old account (this one) seems to be working now
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited June 2014
    I'll have Paws delete your newer account when she gets back. It served its purpose, but tech you're not supposed to have more than one.
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.