If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPG Backtrack: Episode 99 - Flight of the Valkyria

JuMeSynJuMeSyn Code: KirinAdministrators
edited August 2013 in Latest Updates
Word of mouth built about a tactical title Sega released, enough to justify two sequels so far. The company's handling of the new franchise has spawned many strong feelings, and a lot of them come forth in this episode.
Darn those panzers.
It's not what he's eating, but what's eating him that makes it ... sort of interesting.

Comments

• JCServantJCServant Certified Polygameist RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2013
    This is it! The last podcast before out big 100th show blowout!
  • Strawberry EggsStrawberry Eggs The Bemused Administrators
    edited August 2013
    Just as a note to why you played Fire Emblem: Awakening on classic despite restarting: the way I see it, casual would make the game too easy. If you run the risk of permanently losing a character, you'll play more cautiously. If it doesn't matter who dies, you can just bum rush teh maps without giving it careful thought.

Of course, that's just the way I see it. Maybe you guys see it differently.
    Reincarnation, realization
    edited August 2013
    You make a very compelling argument, Strawberry.
  • WheelsWheels RPGamer Staff RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2013
    Strawberry Eggs said:
    Just as a note to why you played Fire Emblem: Awakening on classic despite restarting: the way I see it, casual would make the game too easy. If you run the risk of permanently losing a character, you'll play more cautiously. If it doesn't matter who dies, you can just bum rush teh maps without giving it careful thought.

Of course, that's just the way I see it. Maybe you guys see it differently.
    Well I didn't realize this but I think the way it works in Awakening is if you play on casual you still lose the character for a battle or a number of battles, so I guess there's still some caution required? Then again if the restriction means you can just do a few random easy battles to get them back then I guess it wouldn't require caution at all.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2013
    Actually I'm pretty sure it's Valkyria Chronicles 2 that does the sitting out for a few battles thing (if you don't withdraw them in time), in Fire Emblem Awakening I believe they can fight the next battle straight away (that's what I remember happening anyway)
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • OcelotOcelot is not declawed RPGamer Staff
    edited August 2013
    Severin is correct.

I like Casual because I hate perma-character-death. I still play cautiously and strategically, but Casual lets me keep playing even if I lose somebody due to bad luck or surprise reinforcement buffoonery. Awakening was the first FE I finished, because in earlier games I'd get bogged down by the lengthy battles near the end in which I'd end up restarting just because some dude got a lucky crit on one of my characters.

I know you're supposed to eat the death and carry on, but that's just not how I roll.

Oh, and I love that the devs separated overall difficulty level from casual/hardcore. More difficulty options are always good!
    Becky Cunningham, Staff-at-Large
    Twitter: BeckyCFreelance
    edited August 2013
    I absolutely agree with you Ocelot! 110%