If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn - RPGamer Community

Comments

• Seifer267Seifer267 Full Members
    edited January 5
    I'm definitely not looking forward to returning to Ivalice (always felt it was too depressing a world ever since my introduction to it in the original FFT), but I do look forward to seeing Red Mages become the new dragoon, dying from careless backflips or forward sword thrusts into AOEs. I can hear the cries now of "but my rotation supercedes fight mechanics."

Waaaaah? All the 24 man raids have been a blast so far. I'm totally excited for the new one.

I do however agree that 100% Red Mage's are going to be dying left and right due to fight mechanic animation locks. Soooooo much fun haha.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    I'm back in the game, resubbed for a month. Excited to play more, even if it's not as often as I'd like!
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited January 6
    Like I said on twitter I'm thinking of moving to the rpgamer server to check I'll with you guys. Mac, I'm just sorry you don't have enough time to make it to the Heavensward story. No joke, best final fantasy story ever since ff9 (or 10 if you think that's better). Heavensward is unreal.
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    Patch trailer time!

That Nero, what a guy. He's always on the level.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    Any words on a free weekend coming up?
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    Any words on a free weekend coming up?

They just had a 4 day free login for the whole month of December. For the last couple of years there have consistently been free login periods in March, June, September, and December. I suppose the next one will be in March and overlap with the Easter event.

I talked to my manager today and she said March-June is going to be busy at work. If I want to resub before 4.0 (and I do) it'll need to be soon. I'll probably resub after I finish FF15.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    Patch trailer time!

That Nero, what a guy. He's always on the level.

Drool.
    Almost to 48 on Ninja, which is good considering how little I've been able to play so far. Finally did Darkhold, though I could have swore I'd already done it. Nothing was familiar. Which sub 50 dungeon is a castle? Cutter's?
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    Think Stone Vigil's the one you're referring to there
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    Ah yes. Months (years) of not doing this content gets confusing.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    I want to say you're close to Heavensward.... but now the true grind begins lol.
    How do you like ninja so far? The mudras reallllly throw me off. I'm so used to Dragoon and Monk rotations that Ninja didn't click for me.
    After getting to 50 with WAR and PLD, NIN has been fun, but confusing at times. Takes a while to adjust to mudras, but I really dig them. Haven't spent much time with other DPS jobs.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Almost to 48 on Ninja, which is good considering how little I've been able to play so far. Finally did Darkhold, though I could have swore I'd already done it. Nothing was familiar. Which sub 50 dungeon is a castle? Cutter's?

If you're running dungeons by choice or for fun (not a roulette, I mean), then I'll give a piece of advice: don't do Aurum Vale. It's STILL rough. All the other dungeons are cakewalks. If I remember right you didn't do AK or WP during 2.0. They've been nerfed and they're easy now.
    7thCircle wrote: »

If you're running dungeons by choice or for fun (not a roulette, I mean), then I'll give a piece of advice: don't do Aurum Vale. It's STILL rough. All the other dungeons are cakewalks. If I remember right you didn't do AK or WP during 2.0. They've been nerfed and they're easy now.

I still see people quit out of AV. It's so sad.
    edited January 10
    Is the Vale the one where you have to fight Malboro's? I hate that one. Been doing Roulettes, most have been easier low level ones. Darkhold was the first higher level one I've gotten in a while. You are right, I've not done AK or WP.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Is the Vale the one where you have to fight Malboro's? I hate that one. Been doing Roulettes, most have been easier low level ones. Darkhold was the first higher level one I've gotten in a while. You are right, I've not done AK or WP.

Yes! It's a ridiculous slog.
    Level 50 has something like 15 dungeons to unlock (maybe more), they range from awesome (Wandering Palace aka WP) to long and boring (Hullbreaker Isle). The plus side is at 50 you can gather tomestones to get 120 gear which isn't half bad until around 54ish.
    I just dread the 8 man stuff. Even if it's easier now.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    I just dread the 8 man stuff. Even if it's easier now.

You really shouldn't. It's a party now.
    Everyone just kills stuff super fast and writes stupid stuff in chat. Haha I wish you were at the 24 man stuff! It's the pinnacle of FFXIV imo.
    People still do the older 24man stuff?
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members

Usually for pets, mounts, unique weapons, crafting stuff etc
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool

With a feature called Wondrous Tails people to run the old crystal tower occasionally. I do it for fun every now and again :-)
    24 man is still active. There are decent reasons for vets to rerun them and they're all fun or close enough to fun. Some of the 8 man stuff has become a barren wasteland of infinite queue times, but not the ones required by the main quest.

The old 24 man raid comes as part of a lengthy side quest, though. You would be better off focusing on the main story and getting to HW as soon as possible, in my opinion. If you get tired of plowing through 2.1-2.5, then do optional stuff as a change of pace.
    Yeah, catching up on HW is my top priority. Just curious what else is out there to help with leveling when that time comes.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    You won't level on raids or trials afaik. Roulettes, dungeons, and PotD are the ways to level after 50. FATEs won't work for your 1st job, in large part because you need to be able to fly, but by the time you can fly you'll be above the level of the FATEs. They're pretty dead in HW.
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    Story/sidequests should also do a large chunk of the first job, though you'll need to supplement at towards the end with stuff like roulettes.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
    edited January 10
    Yeah, catching up on HW is my top priority. Just curious what else is out there to help with leveling when that time comes.

2 things help leveling as a dps: always queuing for the highest level dungeon avaliable you while questing and Palace of the Dead. I make sure I'm queued for one when I'm getting serious about leveling.
    This is of course after your roulette (I do all of them except the pvp one and main scenario).

Edit: just saw that I repeated what everyone else said haha. That's what I get for not posting when I started writing lol.
    edited January 13
    preliminary patch notes are up - http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/70e839ed28f33889db1664ed1f9c396f0a229d21#newitem

They're removing the random rule when playing NPC's in triple triad, I might actually play it now.
    Got to 50 (ilvl 90) on Ninja. Gonna have to find some good accessories and money.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    Final patch notes got released as well. Time for Light Grinding: Revengeance.
    Thanks to my new gear from Gibetto Inc, I feel like a beast in combat. It's nice. Also got around to fighting King Mog last night and was using remote play on Vita. Seifer was right, these are quick and easy now since people know what to do. The queue was even short, so hurray!
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm