If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn - RPGamer Community

Comments

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited October 2013
    I have a question. What is everyone's goal within the game? Our free company is really helpful in tons of things, but it seems like everyone has different plans. I know some are doing end game stuff, others are leisurely enjoying the game's story content, so I want to know, is everyone cool with this? Are we happy with the way things are going?
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2013
    I'm pretty happy. Everyone is friendly and helps each other out as we all slowly make progress. It would be nice if some people showed up more often when I was playing, but that's just me being selfish and wanting to have more people to chat with.

I don't think I have a plan or goal to mention, though. I'm just progressing the best I can in the way I most enjoy. When I reach endgame (eventually), I'll figure things out from there. I guess "get a cool place in the housing area" is about the only long-term goal I have, silly as that might sound.
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited October 2013
    Mine is most likely going to be beating the game, then helping everybody with dungeons and other things while leveling up the other classes.

Speaking of which, on Exodus, I just got to Garuda, which is just ahead of where my character is on Leviathan. I really like how
    Cid is the first person to recognize your character as a Warrior of Light. From what I heard he helped the characters a lot in 1.0, so it's kind of poetic how he's the one to recognize you immediately when he gets his memories back
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited October 2013
    Well, I've achieved my first major goal of being granted the right to wear pants, now I'm working on settling on a control scheme that doesn't involve me repeatedly mashing the wrong button at the worst possible time in every battle.

Also I guess I should bug one of you guys some time about joining the guild or Free Company or whatever it is they call it.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited October 2013
    Eira and I are mostly just enjoying playing teh game and gonig through it slowly. Yeah we may play around with end game when we get there but we're in no rush. I will apologize that we were not able to to get on over last weekend to help out.

Eira has classes like all day Saturday and then we spent time with my family. We also picked up X & Y so the weekend was mostly about the pokemon. I also left my glasses at work which makes it harder for me to play any games. :P
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
  • SeraphimKittenSeraphimKitten President of Soft Paws Full Members
    edited October 2013
    Well, it took forever, but I finally hit 50 and finished the story quests. I wouldn't mind finishing the Artemis Bow quest, but I'm having an impossible time finding a Hydra group when I log on.

And here's me with the bard gear, newly 50.
    edited October 2013
    I've been thinking about things we could do together as a group. I know there are only a handful of us at 50, so how about some lower level content? Repeat content, you say? It's not like you're not already doing that at 50, so why not? :O
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited October 2013
    It would help level lower level players up, along with the classes.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2013
    I'm always up for more low-level dungeon runs.
    edited October 2013
    When do you get proper access to dungeons and stuff anyway? Or the story, for that matter. I've finished the Limsa introductory story quests and delivered messages to the other city heads and now have no idea where or how the story picks up again.

Oh well, I started leveling up Lancer because I couldn't bear to see all these low level quests in Gridania go uncompleted and I feel I probably suit DPS more than I do Tank, though I might miss the giant axe.
    edited October 2013
    After you visit all the cities I remember heading back to Vesper Bay to make my report, then choosing which of the Grand Companies I wanted to join. Then the story went from there. Usually when you're not a high enough level to continue, you'll see the red exclamation mark and talking to the NPC will say "You are lv 46. Quests pick up again at lv 49." I seem to remember the first time I started using Duty Finder as often as I could (a lot of things kick you out of it, some quests and summoning your chocobo to fight with you, for example) starting around Costa Del Sol.
    edited October 2013
    When do you get proper access to dungeons and stuff anyway? Or the story, for that matter. I've finished the Limsa introductory story quests and delivered messages to the other city heads and now have no idea where or how the story picks up again.

Oh well, I started leveling up Lancer because I couldn't bear to see all these low level quests in Gridania go uncompleted and I feel I probably suit DPS more than I do Tank, though I might miss the giant axe.
    The first dungeon is at level 15.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited October 2013
    Well, I found the next bit of plot (a dude in Ul'dah who i swear I'd already talked to... oh well) and went and did my first dungeon with a group of friendly pubbies. Despite it being the starter dungeon my nerves were on edge the whole time going 'don't **** up, don't **** up.' Everything went well though.

Now that I've found the plot again I think I'll stick with Marauder. Or maybe I'll forget the plot and just become a master chef.
    edited October 2013
    Well, I found the next bit of plot (a dude in Ul'dah who i swear I'd already talked to... oh well) and went and did my first dungeon with a group of friendly pubbies. Despite it being the starter dungeon my nerves were on edge the whole time going 'don't **** up, don't **** up.' Everything went well though.

Now that I've found the plot again I think I'll stick with Marauder. Or maybe I'll forget the plot and just become a master chef.
    Oh, so you got to tank the first dungeon? That is so much fun. I love the Marauder job, keep with it.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited October 2013
    My brother consolidated his credit card debt and got a new job that pays slightly better, which to him means he can afford more debt. He bought a $2,000 gaming PC last week (on credit) that came with some game codes. He has no interest in FF14 and gave me his code so...

I'm now downloading FF14. I've never played an MMO before. Am scared.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited October 2013
    Leviathan. Come join us. Mwhahahahahaha.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited October 2013
    Yay, somebody else to be completely confused when people talk entirely in abbreviations.
    edited October 2013
    Yay, somebody else to be completely confused when people talk entirely in abbreviations.
    IDK if he wants to DPS in AK then AFAIK he can AFK in DF if the PLD and the WHM 90000 while BRB in AOE till that happens FWIW, GN.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited October 2013
    Abbreviations I can usally handle. Game-specific words I can't. I don't know what a "coil" is, but it gets mentioned in most of the random shout outs by people in town.

I played for about 7 hours tonight before getting booted at midnight Pacific for server maintenance (I assume). Didn't see an obvious way to join a free company. I'll look it up online tomorrow. The biggest surprise at the moment is my conjurer does more damage than the archers and lancers running around the forest with me. I'm guessing that's a low level thing that won't last, or only terrible gamers were in the entry area tonight.
    edited October 2013
    I haven't noticed a big difference between the various damage classes, especially when levelling. I usually don't notice who the other damage class is with me in a group unless I see their weapon, because bosses die in about the same amount of time. You should feel pretty free to play whatever damage class you want without fear of ridicule.

I'm not a fan of acronyms or weird slang, but since some of it goes with the territory I do my best. I've been making up definitions to some of the acronyms I don't recognize, with varying degrees of success. WPSR/WSPR I think both mean "Wanderer's Palace, Speed Run" and just get typed differently. I remember seeing a lot of "coil", too. I have the same thought I'd imagine you had: I know what the word coil means, I have no idea what it means in context. Then I saw that Bahamut's Coil is the raid everyone does, and it made sense.
    edited October 2013
    7thCircle wrote: »
    Abbreviations I can usally handle. Game-specific words I can't. I don't know what a "coil" is, but it gets mentioned in most of the random shout outs by people in town.

I played for about 7 hours tonight before getting booted at midnight Pacific for server maintenance (I assume). Didn't see an obvious way to join a free company. I'll look it up online tomorrow. The biggest surprise at the moment is my conjurer does more damage than the archers and lancers running around the forest with me. I'm guessing that's a low level thing that won't last, or only terrible gamers were in the entry area tonight.
    As for joining a Free Company, we have to invite you. Just give us your name or give one of us a /tell message when you see us on.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/freecompany/9232379236109518391/member/

There's a list of the company crew.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited October 2013
    7thCircle wrote: »

Coil is the short name for The Coil of Bahamut, aka Bahamut's coil, the super dungeon. Depending on your level, it's most likely the low level thing. Archers will out damage you easily, as will Lancers, Thaumaturges (highest magic DPS in the game) and Pugilists (once the groove gets going, Greased Lightning is a pretty big damage boost). Arcanists, their damage output is pretty bad early on. It's only after they start getting more DoTs do they start shining through.
    I haven't noticed a big difference between the various damage classes, especially when levelling. I usually don't notice who the other damage class is with me in a group unless I see their weapon, because bosses die in about the same amount of time. You should feel pretty free to play whatever damage class you want without fear of ridicule.
    If you're in a dungeon, you'll notice a big difference in damage. Archers, Lancers, and Thaumaturges will be your go-to classes for quick burst damage, with Monk being able to help in long-term fights due to Greased Lightning taking at least 10 seconds to come up (it takes a full combo to bring that thing up, and that's what gives them all their DPS power, with later towards endgame they'll be able to stack it 3 times). After class changes, you'll notice just how powerful all the DPS classes are, as well as your own power in the group. Just be sure to watch out for the aggro gain, it's very easy for DPS and healers to take aggro from the tanks depending on what they're doing.
    edited October 2013
    Macstorm wrote: »
    As for joining a Free Company, we have to invite you. Just give us your name or give one of us a /tell message when you see us on.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/freecompany/9232379236109518391/member/

There's a list of the company crew.

This is me: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/5553726/

Speaking of /tell, that's the real issue, not abbreviations. Getting hit with 20 years of progressive MMO chat commands at once is overwhelming. I feel like I need an hour long online training session to teach me how to talk. That part of the online manual is impossibly long.
    edited October 2013
    Once you get (/tell Firstname Lastname message) down, we'll get you in the Free Company chat and you'll just have to remember to change to that each time you log in.

Also, going into character configuration and turning off Shouts, and other's messages helps early on. You don't need most of that.

And I would have bet money that you'd have picked a Lalafell for your character. So fitting.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited October 2013
    Speaking of /tell, that's the real issue, not abbreviations. Getting hit with 20 years of progressive MMO chat commands at once is overwhelming. I feel like I need an hour long online training session to teach me how to talk. That part of the online manual is impossibly long.

I managed to say a couple of things meant for the FC channel out loud to a group of strangers last night, must have seen a little disconcerting to them without context.

Also, I grinded lancer up to 15 because I didn't feel like doing a third-straight dungeon, seeing as they stress me the hell out (easy starter dungeons or not.) I can definitely see myself procrastinating on the story to level up every class unless I can (a actually log on when more than one or two of you guys are online b) bully you into helping me finish easy boring starter dungeons.

Edit: Oh hey, we have a guy named Baktosh Redclaw in our FC. I shoulda named myself Bhurak Starkiller or something.
    edited October 2013
    OK, our dungeon run of Saratoga Seagrot with two arcanists, a thaumaturge, and conjurer last night was actually pretty viable. Kinda cool.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited October 2013
    Macstorm wrote: »
    OK, our dungeon run of Saratoga Seagrot with two arcanists, a thaumaturge, and conjurer last night was actually pretty viable. Kinda cool.
    That doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Conjurers become the strongest healing class in the game, Arcanists can summon the Topaz Carbuncle to serve as a tank for them (it's amazing as an off-hand tank) and have healing skills as well along with several powerful DoTs (if I remember correctly), and thaumaturges become the greatest magic DPS class in the game, Black Mages. Actually, you could easily declare Arcanists, Summoners, and Scholars to be some of the most well-versed classes in the game. They can tank thanks to Topaz Carbuncle, they can DPS, AND they can heal. Best all around classes IMO.
    edited October 2013
    It was pretty sweet, but we only got through half of the dungeon before we had to quit. We could have beaten it.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • xocolatlxocolatl Member Full Members
    edited October 2013
    I have a question about the official forums--how do you post?
    I'm level 18 now, and the forums keeps saying that I have either reached my posting limit for the day, or my character level isn't high enough. What's going on?
    edited October 2013
    That's odd, but I have no idea. I went in through logging into the lodestone and then it asked more questions and let me in.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm