If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn - RPGamer Community

Comments

• kazrikokazriko Member Full Members
    edited October 2013
    Well, I found the next bit of plot (a dude in Ul'dah who i swear I'd already talked to... oh well) and went and did my first dungeon with a group of friendly pubbies. Despite it being the starter dungeon my nerves were on edge the whole time going 'don't **** up, don't **** up.' Everything went well though.

Now that I've found the plot again I think I'll stick with Marauder. Or maybe I'll forget the plot and just become a master chef.

Hah, I recently did that on my Midgardsormr character. I talked to Mionne and finished the quest i was on, but forgot to talk the second time to activate the new quest. I got all the way to ul'dah before I realized I needed to go back to gridania and activate it.

BTW, Dualshock 4 is really awesome for this game on PS3. I can't wait for February when I'll be able to play wirelessly with the DS4.
  • SeraphimKittenSeraphimKitten President of Soft Paws Full Members
    edited November 2013
    I finally got my relic weapon (Artemis Bow), but my play time runs out on Monday!
    I just wanted to say thank you to Chickengod for all of the help and chatter.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited November 2013
    I finally got my relic weapon (Artemis Bow), but my play time runs out on Monday!
    I just wanted to say thank you to Chickengod for all of the help and chatter.

Anytime! I had a lot of fun talking together with you. You'll be missed, thats for sure.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Didn't make a whole lot of forward progress today since I ran into the Ifrit dungeon and my usual dungeon anxiety reared it's ugly head (sure was nice of those lizardmen to just let me teleport away, though.) So I probably won't be doing that until I run into willing RA peeps online/get slightly drunk and blaze through it with random pubbies. Instead I went around joining guilds and making sure all my armour matched.

5M2TcKl.png?2

SAINTS ROW BITCHES

Edit: looking it up the Ifrit thing isn't a dungeon, but a 'trial' whatever that means. Anxiety still applies.
  • MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited November 2013
    I know the feeling, happens to me as well. We'll get you a group that you don't have to worry about that.
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited November 2013
    Doomhammer, you don't have to be so nervous when it comes to the instance where you just fight Ifrit. Everything in that fight isn't so much dependent on you as it is on the healers and DPS. Your only role in there is the same as it has always been...keeping the aggro. Interrupting Ifrit's attacks helps too, and all you really need to know for the others is to have the DPS keep attacking Ifrit until the nail appears, and then DPS the nail down quickly. If it's not destroyed fast enough, it's a full party wipe. So just know the pressure isn't on you so much as it is on DPS to kill fast enough and the healer to keep everybody alive.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, just killed him with Chickengod and 7th, I believe. Also some other guy. Everything went well except for the waiting 30 minutes for a DPS part.
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2013
    Getting a chocobo has been a mixed bag. Faster travel is nice, but my game has crashed 3 times in 1 day immediately after I got on or off my chocobo in heavily populated areas (usually in or around FATE campers). I'll call it worth it. The chocobo comes a chapter later than it really should, though. Square wanted to be reeeeeeeally sure we appreciated it.

The story is getting awkward. I like the writing as whole, especially in guild and side quests, but the main storyline needs to stop making things sound super urgent just before sending me back and forth to opposite ends of the continent on meaningless errands. And it seems like everyone, their mother, and their dog knows about the game's "secret" society. It seemed cooler when I thought it was actually a secret. I'm much more interested in how the guild quests play out than the main quest, which feels phoned in at best, poorly planned and awkward at worst.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
    edited November 2013
    I bet that booze you have to make for whatshisface will end up being really important to the story, just you wait.
  • SeraphimKittenSeraphimKitten President of Soft Paws Full Members
    edited November 2013
    I never understood why everyone has a cell phone (Linkshell), but they just use it to tell me to come to Vesper Bay... so they can then send me back where I was. Just once I wanted them to say "Hello, Kvn? Oh, you're already in the forest? Great, stay where you are, and then go find a broken airship."
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited November 2013
    Too delicate of a talk to mention it over a linkshell, maybe? For all we know it could be as easy to tap into a Linkshell's frequency as it is to tap into a cellphone's frequency.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited November 2013
    I think the Scions aren't actually all that interested in the primals, they're just a secret society entirely dedicated to pissing the player off and not doing any actual work.

Edit: basically i'm saying if there were an option to join the evil empire i would be defecting so hard. I'm great at talking to myself at length so i'd fit right in.
    edited November 2013
    7thCircle wrote: »
    Getting a chocobo has been a mixed bag. Faster travel is nice, but my game has crashed 3 times in 1 day immediately after I got on or off my chocobo in heavily populated areas (usually in or around FATE campers). I'll call it worth it. The chocobo comes a chapter later than it really should, though. Square wanted to be reeeeeeeally sure we appreciated it.
    It gets to where you just use the chocobo within zones, not to travel between them. The teleport system is cheap enough to use pretty regularly, unless you're spending your money like crazy on stuff. But then again, I did just like to travel all over the world on foot before I ever got my chocobo.
    7thCircle wrote: »
    The story is getting awkward. I like the writing as whole, especially in guild and side quests, but the main storyline needs to stop making things sound super urgent just before sending me back and forth to opposite ends of the continent on meaningless errands. And it seems like everyone, their mother, and their dog knows about the game's "secret" society. It seemed cooler when I thought it was actually a secret. I'm much more interested in how the guild quests play out than the main quest, which feels phoned in at best, poorly planned and awkward at worst.
    Yeah, the middle part of the main story is a little Skyrim-y. It picks up more later on, but the more you keep with it, the better paced it is. Also, again like TES games, the class quests are much more interesting to me. I can see where you're coming from, though.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited November 2013
    Square has a funny idea of when 9:00 AM GMT is exactly. *sigh* hopefully 7th and I can beat Titan once maintenance ends.
    edited November 2013
    They lied about the time! It's a good thing that last guy left. In a best case scenario, we'd have just been finishing him off when the server went down. That would have been extremely irritating.
  • ChickenGodChickenGod Overdosing Heavenly Bliss Moderators
    edited November 2013
    If it really only lasts 2 hours (or less because of the start time), I'll be back on to go with you guys. Reading up it looks like some of the gil sellers managed to compromise the Market Board and people were unwittingly buying items that were priced low for millions of gil, so they probably took it down immediately to avoid causing people unneeded suffering.
    "Looks like Teach just got tenure!" - Teach
    edited November 2013
    yeah just saw that, probably could have given a warning though.
    edited November 2013
    ChickenGod wrote: »
    If it really only lasts 2 hours (or less because of the start time), I'll be back on to go with you guys. Reading up it looks like some of the gil sellers managed to compromise the Market Board and people were buying items that were priced low for millions of gil, so they probably took it down immediately to avoid causing people unneeded suffering.

I'm not surprised. There wasn't much warning to this maintenance in the first place, and then they started it early with no warning. It felt like an emergency.

I won't be up in two hours, though. I'm going to read in bed then sleep soon. We can do Titan and Cutter's Cry when we're all around Friday. I'll wait for a group on Titan at least. I might get impatient on optional dungeons that are at my current level.
    edited November 2013
    Nice, we're getting more and more people up there. It might be possible to do a run of the final dungeons with an FC group yet.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • pyrandespyrandes New Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Macstorm wrote: »
    Nice, we're getting more and more people up there. It might be possible to do a run of the final dungeons with an FC group yet.

Ill be all aboard with this. Will finish out levelling up my arcanist in preparation next week I think (and attempt for a couple more relics I guess?)
    edited November 2013
    Titan went much better this morning, even though we had to do most of the fight minus one DPS. Thanks 7th, Chickengod!
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    I apologize for not playing to much lately. One of my co-workers has been out sick and I've needed to help cover and although it's one hour a night 2 nights a week it has indeed been kicking my butt.

Hopefully today or tomorrow I can log in and play some
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    edited November 2013
    Just powered through Cutter's cry with random duty finder people. Beat it all in one go, but I had nooooo idea what i was doing half the time, haha. Chimera was kinda scary considering it was pretty much the first boss where i had to actively dodge stuff (well, besides Titan.)

Stone Vigil's next, I guess. I think I'll wait for FC peeps to be online for that.
  • Jammy DodgerJammy Dodger New Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Long time lurker, first time poster.

I followed much of the coverage of FFXIVRR in recent months both here on RPGamer and on other websites, though it was probably the review here that finally got me to buy the game and start playing recently. As someone who finds myself in consistent agreement with comments here regarding my beloved rpgs and desiring to belong to a mature free company, I am interested in joining the RPGamer community free company.

If you have space and are welcome to a newcomer such as I, please let me know. Ingame name: Jammy Dodger, currently miqote lvl 20 archer, 15 pugilist. Low in level, I know, but at the rate I'm playing, it won't take exceptionally long to catch up. Not that I'm trying to rush to endgame. The story has been good thus far.

EDIT: Thank you very much for the invite.
    edited November 2013
    oh thank god a DPS.
  • kazrikokazriko Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    oh thank god a DPS.

Hah, well, I've partially switched to Lancer myself.
  • TheAnimeManTheAnimeMan Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    I'm a DPS, just been SOOOOOO busy
    sig.gif

28 years of gaming and still going strong
    and now a mostly annoyed Father with first son. And now a father again to a second son :D

Winner of the 2015-2016 Fantasy gaming Pool
    edited November 2013
    Got my first taste of the level 45 class-specific armor tonight. I was not expecting it to be so amazing. There's a dungeon you can't enter until level 44 with two different sets of mage equipment as random drops. After that is beaten you get access to buy level 44 Grand Company equipment. Then at level 45 you get amazing gear handed to you for nothing. I'm not complaining, but it's like it should have taken me more than half a day to go from level 44 to level 45 if it makes 3 sets of newly available, powerful armor instantly obsolete. I didn't notice that at any other level up. Now I'm not going to pay for any new equipment until I see what gets handed to me at level 50.

Most epic moment from today: for the first time in weeks, finally getting pants that don't look like I'm running around in spandex. I got to enjoy that for about 2 hours before the White Mage Boxer Shorts were given to me in the level 45 quest. Now it looks like I'm running around in my underwear. I swear the game wants white mages to look stupid.
    edited November 2013
    I dunno, maybe that obsolete lvl 44 stuff turns into good materia or something *shrug*

I'm really falling behind on my dungeons. Level 48 and I haven't done Stone Vigil yet.
  • Jammy DodgerJammy Dodger New Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    oh thank god a DPS.

Really? From everything I have read of the game, DPS is too common, as best seen from the Duty Finder wait times. I suppose I was expecting a reaction more of "oh no, not another DPS."