If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn - RPGamer Community

Comments

• MacstormMacstorm Ysy St. Administrators
    edited November 2013
    True, and as such we have a ton of tanks and healers in our FC. Just hit someone in our FC up and we should be able to get you in. http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/freecompany/9232379236109518391/member/
    "The universe is already mad. Anything else would be redundant."
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • Severin MiraSeverin Mira News Director/Reviewer RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2013
    Heh yeah everyone else seems to like the healing/tank roles, I'm one of the few DPSs but haven't been around for dungeoning much and have been stuck in the 30s for quite a while (stupid Kingdom Hearts). Even when I have been playing I have a habit of just mucking around and not actually doing anything useful :P. I should be around a bit more for the next couple of weeks, I do need to do Cutter's Cry at some point and think I'm close to unlocking Stone Vigil.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
    Twitter: severinmira | Xbox Live: Severin Mira | PSN: severinmira (EU) | NNID: severinmira
    Final Fantasy XIV: Sevvi Taubemira (Leviathan)
  • TwinBahamutTwinBahamut Staff Healer RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2013
    Really? From everything I have read of the game, DPS is too common, as best seen from the Duty Finder wait times. I suppose I was expecting a reaction more of "oh no, not another DPS."
    That is true for the game as a whole, but our FC is a little different. As a healer who always has a tank playing with me, I encourage more DPS characters in our FC. :)

Still slogging my way up through the levels. At level 44 and all ready for Darkhold and Garuda, now. I recently had a moment of "I can't believe I actually beat a level 47 enemy." It's finally starting to settle in that I'm actually a high level player who is close to the endgame. It's a weird feeling.
  • pyrandespyrandes New Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Still slogging my way up through the levels. At level 44 and all ready for Darkhold and Garuda, now. I recently had a moment of "I can't believe I actually beat a level 47 enemy." It's finally starting to settle in that I'm actually a high level player who is close to the endgame. It's a weird feeling.

44 already? Damn. I better log in on Tierna and work on arcanist levels a bit then -_-. Having WAR at 50 wont help those needing dps :/
    edited November 2013
    pyrandes wrote: »
    44 already? Damn. I better log in on Tierna and work on arcanist levels a bit then -_-. Having WAR at 50 wont help those needing dps :/
    Especially considering I have a 50 Warrior and 37 Paladin I'm taking to 50. I'm only good at getting hit by things...
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
  • 7thCircle7thCircle Proofer of the Realm RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2013
    Really? From everything I have read of the game, DPS is too common, as best seen from the Duty Finder wait times. I suppose I was expecting a reaction more of "oh no, not another DPS."

Like Twin said, our FC is odd. At the moment particularly, there are four of us in the 40s progressing to the endgame: 2 tanks and 2 healers. We did a primal fight today with a tank, DPS, and two white mages. One was a dedicated healer, the other did a passing job (I hope!) as a dedicated DPS.
    The lesson here is that dreams inevitably lead to hideous implosions.
  • The DoomhammerThe Doomhammer Prod with the Prod Full Members
    edited November 2013
    Finally got around to doing Stone Vigil, man that dungeon was a pain in the ***. I found the bosses easy enough (though one of the DPS liked to die at the beginning of every fight, so for bosses we were basically a party of three) but the trash mobs absolutely wrecked me, and I didn't always do the best job of keeping them off our poor healer. Oh well, it's done. On to Garuda and the gathering of uranium.

I mean "Corrupted Crystals."

Edit: level 50, got the last of my class armour, and up to Garuda. to whom I will die to again and again because my ping has been disgusting lately
  • DarkRPGMasterDarkRPGMaster A Witness to Destruction Moderators
    edited November 2013
    Doomhammer, a warning about that fight against Garuda...it IS a fast-paced fight, and can be tricky. It's really fun for that reason though.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited November 2013
    Finally got around to doing Stone Vigil ... the trash mobs absolutely wrecked me, and I didn't always do the best job of keeping them off our poor healer.

When I did Stone Vigil with strangers, the tank had the same issue even though he had done the dungeon multiple times already. It might just be a tough dungeon for that. He knew where the baddies roamed and still kept accidentally pulling too many enemies and failing to keep aggro.
    edited November 2013
    7thCircle wrote: »
    When I did Stone Vigil with strangers, the tank had the same issue even though he had done the dungeon multiple times already. It might just be a tough dungeon for that. He knew where the baddies roamed and still kept accidentally pulling too many enemies and failing to keep aggro.
    It could be something other than that. Are the DPS focus firing on the tank's target? If not, they can drag aggro away from the tank, and if they're not focusing, it'll be near impossible for the tank to keep all the aggro on him. As long as the DPS can kill the enemies one by one together fast, the loss of aggro won't come fast enough to be of any problems.
    "Yes, because apparently blindly jumping headfirst into a firefight without a grasp on the situation or any combat experience is a sign of genius these days."
    edited November 2013
    I both like and hate Stone Vigil. Before it I've never even gotten close to running out of time, but for that one I must have snuck by with only a minute or two left at the end of my first run on it. That first midboss was the real killer for me. I died an embarrassing number of times to its nasty AoEs. The second midboss generally went a lot better. Also died to a few nasty ambushes, but that went a lot better the second time around when my brother knew the dungeon and how to pull and tank those plated dragons. It was a little stressful, but fun. It needed better loot, though.

Darkhold was also rather fun.

Also, you did do a decent job as DPS against Garuda, Seventh. It's nice to have a DPS who can help out with the panic-mode emergency Medica, too!

Anyways, just hitting level 45 now. I'm getting so close, though I'm worried I've let my gathering and crafting fall behind a bit too much. Need to catch those up before long, but that probably involves gathering more fleece. That is going to take a while.
    edited November 2013
    It could be something other than that. Are the DPS focus firing on the tank's target? If not, they can drag aggro away from the tank, and if they're not focusing, it'll be near impossible for the tank to keep all the aggro on him. As long as the DPS can kill the enemies one by one together fast, the loss of aggro won't come fast enough to be of any problems.

Generally, the bigger problem with tanks losing aggro is the healer, not the DPS. As you say, DPS focus-firing makes it pretty easy for the tank to keep enemies off of them, but healers build aggro on everything at once with every heal, so tanks also need to spread aggro gain around a little to keep hate off of the healer. Properly sleeping enemies and killing them one-by-one quickly helps a lot with that issue, but that requires some coordination and the worst enemies in Stone Vigil are immune to that anyways. A healer can keep the hate down by being careful and using aggro-reduction moves when needed, but there is a limit to that if the tank can't keep up. This is why good communication between healers and tanks is really important.

Anyways... Random DPS characters in the Duty Finder! Know when and when not to use your AoEs! This has been a PSA from your local friendly White Mage.
    edited November 2013
    Yeah, I'm assuming it was the healer that was my problem. First time I'd really encountered mobs capable of doing that much damage to me that quickly, so I wasn't always making the best decisions re: threat rotation.

One thing I'll say is that the enemy list needs a dedicated symbol for 'You have threat but are about to lose it.' C'mon SE, there's one for 'don't have threat but are about to gain it!'
    edited November 2013

For my Stone Vigil run specifically, the issue was the tank would accidentally pull 2 sets of mobs at the same time. He apologized for it once and then I noticed there were roaming enemies he would accidentally engage too close to static ones. We only wiped once; it just made the run more intense than it needed to be. I figure if he kept doing it and was experienced with the dungeon, Doomhammer might have been doing it because he was unfamiliar.

There are plenty of times where I draw aggro as a healer because I'm careless or time Regen poorly, though. As Twin said, there is an issue where the fastest way to solve an aggro problem is by sleeping the enemies attacking me, but then someone lets out an AOE that wakes them all up again. Usually I don't blame them because attacks come out after a delay, although sometimes I think DPSes don't have a whole lot to pay attention to and they should notice if I'm aggroed and putting enemies to sleep.

Did the Vale today with 3 strangers. Stressful, not very fun dungeon in my opinion, but we beat it with lots of time to spare and I got a baby morbol!
    edited November 2013
    I'm a rather cautious tank these days, always making sure not to engage multiple groups, and picking off patrols while they're separated from the others etc. Well, except for when I accidentally tripped the third Ice Sprite ambush while pulling a couple dragons. Surprised we didn't wipe then, actually. Or at all, even.
    Did the Vale today with 3 strangers. Stressful, not very fun dungeon in my opinion, but we beat it with lots of time to spare and I got a baby morbol!

And here I thought you hated Morbols, though they'll always be Malboro's to me. And yeah, I hear the Vale is particularly hard on healers.

Not looking forward to it myself, actually, since it looks like it might be Status Effect Hell, my least favourite place.
    edited November 2013
    You people are not selling me on the Aurum Vale. Of course, even the NPCs are doing a hilarious job of making it sound painful and unrewarding. Makes me wish for a better Esuna already.
    edited November 2013
    Aurum Vale is a tricky dungeon, and the 2nd and 3rd bosses are pure evil...especially the 3rd. Lays a bunch of seeds you need to destroy ASAP, else they'll hatch into enemies. General rule we have for that boss is that if you get the message that it's going to do it, and it moves into position, AOE THEM ASAP! DPS needs to really be on the ball for that battle, because if you don't destroy them fast enough, you won't survive.
    edited November 2013
    One thing I'll say is that the enemy list needs a dedicated symbol for 'You have threat but are about to lose it.' C'mon SE, there's one for 'don't have threat but are about to gain it!'
    I agree it would be nice to have the red light show when you're about to lose it. Seeing the party thread meters on the enemy you're attacking is nice, but doesn't help for all the others.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited November 2013
    Did Garuda today (thanks 7th!) and had the most epic ending to a boss fight yet. 7th was dead, one DPS was dead, the other DPS might have ended up dead too, I'm not sure... and Garuda went down when I had less than 100 health left. Good thing I'd spent a lot of money upgrading my armor because i couldn't stand there being something slightly better than my class armor available and not possessing it.

K02NIEa.png

Thanks, leopard-print codpiece.
    edited November 2013
    Finished the main story Friday, 20 days after starting. That leaves me 11 free days to potentially get interested in levelling other classes, crafting, or postgame stuff before I go away. At the moment crafting and at least a few runs of postgame dungeons sound fun. Starting a new class does not.

Too bad the game's final events are instances filled with impatient speed runners. I understand their side and skipped cutscenes for them, but I don't want a game I spent 300 hours playing to end with 6 overgeared strangers asking me not to watch the cutscenes, then sprinting past enemies and hitting objectives while I struggle to keep up.

And thanks to ChickenGod for the intro to Amdapor Keep tonight. Sure it was bumpy, but it was nice having only 1 impatient person in the group, and he was quiet.
    edited November 2013
    Kinda wish you could set tags or something on duty-finder, like you could set 'speedrun' as an option and it would only match you with other speedrun players, or something.

Also logged back in briefly to test out the free trial of Battleping on Titan to see if it helped my latency at all, and it totally did. I'm probably gonna spend money on this dumb service send help.

(on the plus side, I got to help three newbies through Titan. They were all Lalafell mages of various kinds and all new to the fight. Only took a couple of attempts once everyone was up to speed, that was pretty cool.)
  • Jammy DodgerJammy Dodger New Member Full Members
    edited November 2013
    It could be something other than that. Are the DPS focus firing on the tank's target? If not, they can drag aggro away from the tank, and if they're not focusing, it'll be near impossible for the tank to keep all the aggro on him.

This is likely the first and most important rule I follow when in dungeons. As a ranged DPS, I always focus fire on the tank's target. Not to mention stay back and give the tank plenty of opportunity to move ahead and acquire aggro on the next grouping of monsters. As someone who typically played tank or support on previous mmorpgs, I can appreciate the frustration of watching DPS players become careless.
    Kinda wish you could set tags or something on duty-finder, like you could set 'speedrun' as an option and it would only match you with other speedrun players, or something.

Wasn't there a developer's blog or notice that this is definitely something currently being prepared for implementation in an upcoming patch?
    edited November 2013
    Story beaten! That was probably the quickest dungeon run I've done as well. Good ol' speedrunners.

Raises the question of why people bother speedrunning Castrum, considering it takes way longer.

Edit: Ahhhrrgh, thought I'd finish off tonight by finally getting around to Darkhold, but I got the worst group in history. You need to DODGE the last boss' desolation attack! DODGE! DOOOOOOOOODGE!
    edited November 2013
    Found today that I'm mostly decent at Garuda HM. It's amusing playing with a full party of duty finder strangers. I had one party where 3 people wiped the first time you hide. We got them all back alive. Then 2 or 3 wiped the next time. We got them all back alive. I ran into a tornado and died. We all looked awful and inept. 2nd try -- no deaths period, perfect run. Bizarre.

Then there was a time with a major tank issue. One didn't know how to tank Garuda. The other tank knew what to do, but wasn't geared enough and couldn't handle the damage. The party failed miserably 3 times and then disbanded.

It's fast, fun, goofy, and I came away with a scholar weapon I'll never use.
    edited November 2013
    Finally got round to doing the Darkhold today with a competent group (who were all new, as well) only to find that I need to beat Aurum Vale to unlock Ampador Keep. I don't wanna do Aurum Vale! DAMN YOU YOSHI-P.

And then I spent the rest of the day leveling my pointless alt for no reason (okay, the reason was nobody was around.)
  • xocolatlxocolatl Member Full Members
    edited November 2013

Good tanks will tab target, and you can also use AoEs to keep aggro on some targets. As a DPS, you shouldn't go balls to the wall on non-main target, but feel free to throw a few DoTs or some AoEs out there every now and then.)
    edited November 2013
    Aurum Vale ended up being not so terrible, except for the couple times I forgot how to tank and got us killed by diremites, but then I realized I'd forgotten to advance the GC Aurum Vale quest far enough so I'll have to do it again If I ever want to be promoted. Oh well. At least AK is unlocked now.
    edited November 2013
    Reminder, the Lightning event will be closing I believe at the end of the month. Get it done now if you haven't been doing it.
    edited November 2013
    Reminder, the Lightning event will be closing I believe at the end of the month. Get it done now if you haven't been doing it.
    I need to find some time to get back on and finish parts 2-4.
    Twitter @FinalMacstorm
    edited November 2013
    It doesn't finish until dec 9 so you've got plenty of time. It's not like you get anything good anyway, unless you desperately want to dress like Lightning, or watch her ascend to the heavens, or whatever.